SL-Class (R232) Discussion on the 2022 R232

SL/R232: Driving Review - European Mountain Passes

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-20-2023, 05:26 PM

Received 64 Likes on 43 Posts
2014 C63 Edition 507
Driving Review - European Mountain Passes

I've lurked here and there reading up on the new SL and finally had a chance to drive several last week during the AMG Emotion Tour in the Sudtirol. Needless to say the experience was phenomenal and we drove many more models than the SL, but it was the most represented model in the stable.

SL 43 - The 4 cylinder, rear wheel drive was no joke through the mountain passes. We were able to keep up with all the other models, 63s included. It was notably lighter in the turns, you could throw around the rear end more and was every bit as enjoyable as it's big brother - just different. The sound of the powerplant was not bad either and i was able to get a lot of tire squeal in the turns, which was fun! I thought it sounded much better than the C63 S E Performance, by the way.

SL 63 - Much more powerful, definitely heavier in the turns and more vocal. You just can't beat the growl of the 4.0 and the pull on acceleration was noticeably stronger. Definitely a step up in power and overall emotion, but not as easy to throw around due to the 4 matic.

Summary - I could go either way. If I were doing more twisty driving, I would lean 43, on the roads here in the US, the 63 would and should rule. For those considering either, drive them both. They offer different kinds of fun. We did not have a 55 in the fleet, so nothing to add there.

Hyper Blue is a 63, the Monza Gray was a 43

The entire lineup, including a brand new S63 E Performance, which was awesome! Note the new Magno Gold on the GT 63 S E Performance

The following 8 users liked this post by pbaylog:
alexasa (09-20-2023), BLAM (09-25-2023), brucewinter (09-21-2023), California John (09-22-2023), js_cls (09-21-2023), mmmamg (09-20-2023), Raulr (03-23-2024), van_rider (09-21-2023) and 3 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 03-20-2024, 02:52 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 2,268 Likes on 1,935 Posts
PFL205.064 with M276.823
Originally Posted by pbaylog
I've lurked here and there reading up on the new SL and finally had a chance to drive several last week during the AMG Emotion Tour in the Sudtirol. Needless to say the experience was phenomenal and we drove many more models than the SL, but it was the most represented model in the stable.

SL 43 - The 4 cylinder, rear wheel drive was no joke through the mountain passes. We were able to keep up with all the other models, 63s included. It was notably lighter in the turns, you could throw around the rear end more and was every bit as enjoyable as it's big brother - just different. The sound of the powerplant was not bad either and i was able to get a lot of tire squeal in the turns, which was fun! I thought it sounded much better than the C63 S E Performance, by the way.

SL 63 - Much more powerful, definitely heavier in the turns and more vocal. You just can't beat the growl of the 4.0 and the pull on acceleration was noticeably stronger. Definitely a step up in power and overall emotion, but not as easy to throw around due to the 4 matic.

Summary - I could go either way. If I were doing more twisty driving, I would lean 43, on the roads here in the US, the 63 would and should rule. For those considering either, drive them both. They offer different kinds of fun. We did not have a 55 in the fleet, so nothing to add there.

Hyper Blue is a 63, the Monza Gray was a 43

The entire lineup, including a brand new S63 E Performance, which was awesome! Note the new Magno Gold on the GT 63 S E Performance
Thank you for sharing your experience with all the versions.