SL-Class (R232) Discussion on the 2022 R232

SL/R232: AMG SL 63 Problems

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-28-2024, 05:15 AM

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
SL63 AMG
Originally Posted by RTC63
Do you see the word HOLD popping up on your main gauge display? In what driving mode (C, S, S+ or Race) are you when this happens?

I drive my car in RACE mode only and while many may think that this is dangerous and/or it isn't suited for driving on public roads, it is the contrary. It helps with throttle response (which is pretty bad in the other driving modes in my opinion, with the exception of S+), it makes the steering feel sportier/direct, the chassis is also stiffer and it makes the car handle very neutral, believe it or not. You can be very fast in this mode without putting yourself in danger due to the driving assist features being slightly reduced (not by much though).

Three (for me minor) issues with driving in RACE mode though:
1. fuel consumption goes up
2. when closing in to a red light and slowing down, the car tends to "push" forward, which can be tricky for beginners and if feels a bit jerky
3. the exhaust pops get annoyingly loud and sound like pistol shots, even worse when you shift manually (you can circumvent this by shifting up in time and not downshift yourself when you slow down)

Have you talked to your mechanic? What is he saying about your problem?
Hi, of couse, i know to drive an automatic mercedes, i use sometimes the HOLD option and other times not, it depends, but in the 2 cases, the engine starts to rev, under all modes, comfort,sport... and tries to push forward as if to get out of the place.The push can be about 200-500 rpm, it doesn't rev the engine very much but it's enough to make force and get you out of the spot (I think in sport mode it's more). I repeat what I have repeated throughout this thread, it is IMPOSSIBLE TO PARK. I put it in R, wait a while for the car to move (about 3-4 seconds) and try to park somehow. If I put it in R, and try to accelerate so that it moves, I have to take it above 2000 rpm by pressing the accelerator for just a moment, but when I do so it gives a very strong push, which almost makes me crash several times.

Mercedes told me it could be the torque converter problem. It's just been the 3rd week without any response on when they are going to fix it, they say they are still waiting for a response from Mercedes Bucharest. The car has had this fault since it left the factory, this problem has been recorded since km 2.

I need advice from someone who knows, what should I do? Should I make a claim? It's been 3 weeks now and I still haven't received a response. I bought it very happily and now I am experiencing disappointment and can't even enjoy the car.

I have to say that my MBUX system does not come complete, I cannot create profiles, Mercedes me does not work (it has the hermes module), and even the car alarm, I did some tests and it seems that it does not work either.

Last edited by aguitadeowito; 06-28-2024 at 05:19 AM.
Old 06-28-2024, 06:56 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 2,422 Likes on 2,063 Posts
PFL205.064 with M276.823
Originally Posted by aguitadeowito
Hi, of couse, i know to drive an automatic mercedes, i use sometimes the HOLD option and other times not, it depends, but in the 2 cases, the engine starts to rev, under all modes, comfort,sport... and tries to push forward as if to get out of the place.The push can be about 200-500 rpm, it doesn't rev the engine very much but it's enough to make force and get you out of the spot (I think in sport mode it's more). I repeat what I have repeated throughout this thread, it is IMPOSSIBLE TO PARK. I put it in R, wait a while for the car to move (about 3-4 seconds) and try to park somehow. If I put it in R, and try to accelerate so that it moves, I have to take it above 2000 rpm by pressing the accelerator for just a moment, but when I do so it gives a very strong push, which almost makes me crash several times.

Mercedes told me it could be the torque converter problem. It's just been the 3rd week without any response on when they are going to fix it, they say they are still waiting for a response from Mercedes Bucharest. The car has had this fault since it left the factory, this problem has been recorded since km 2.

I need advice from someone who knows, what should I do? Should I make a claim? It's been 3 weeks now and I still haven't received a response. I bought it very happily and now I am experiencing disappointment and can't even enjoy the car.

I have to say that my MBUX system does not come complete, I cannot create profiles, Mercedes me does not work (it has the hermes module), and even the car alarm, I did some tests and it seems that it does not work either.
Torque converter? Isn't this the MCT transmission?
Old 06-28-2024, 07:10 AM

SL63 AMG
Originally Posted by W205C43PFL
Torque converter? Isn't this the MCT transmission?
Yes, torque converter, they told me that.
Old 06-28-2024, 07:37 AM
Out Of Control!!

PFL205.064 with M276.823
I see, but doesn't the MCT has a wet clutch though?
Old 06-28-2024, 10:30 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3,805 Likes on 2,545 Posts
2019 C63CS
It sounds like you need a more competent dealership. Your car doesn't have a torque converter. As said above, the SL 63 uses the AMG Speedshift MCT transmission. It has a wet clutch and not a torque converter. Try posting your issue in the AMG Private Lounge in the AMG Support group. As AMG owners that is our directest line to AMG itself. People from AMG are on there and can get the right resource involved.

https://www.mercedes-amg.com/content...omepage.html/8
Old 06-28-2024, 11:09 AM

Received 50 Likes on 28 Posts
SL63 AMG (R232)
Originally Posted by superswiss
It sounds like you need a more competent dealership. Your car doesn't have a torque converter. As said above, the SL 63 uses the AMG Speedshift MCT transmission. It has a wet clutch and not a torque converter. Try posting your issue in the AMG Private Lounge in the AMG Support group. As AMG owners that is our directest line to AMG itself. People from AMG are on there and can get the right resource involved.

Agreed. His AMG dealership in Bucharest seems to be very incompetent...or they don't care because the car is not from them (or both).

Any issues on a 200k+ EUR car needs to be addressed by the dealership ASAP. A couple of weeks without anything happening is quite weird.
Old 06-28-2024, 11:14 AM

Received 50 Likes on 28 Posts
SL63 AMG (R232)
@aquitadeowito: Have you tried the approach I suggested with giving 100 EUR to the chief mechanic (or the person you're dealing with)? Or did you talk to the general manager of the dealership? This is no way to treat a customer, doesn't matter if the car was bought from them or not. This cannot take weeks to be resolved, they need to take your car in, to check out error codes, to contact AMG and open a "ticket" with them.
When I had my car misfiring here in Germany, I left my car at the dealership on a Monday and I picked it up on Friday...fixed. They contacted AMG, an AMG engineer from Berlin (don't know why Berlin since AMG's HQ is in Affalterbach) was involved, he was in his home office and they solved it, ordered the necessary parts and fixed my car/found the problem. This is how it works. Your dealer sending you back home with your unfixed car...this is not how it should work.
Is there maybe a problem with your car I am not aware of? A problem which may make it for the dealership impossible to service your car or what are they so stupid fixing your issues, including Mercedes Me???! I don't get it.
Especially the Mercedes Me issue is an easy fix if the dealer knows what he is doing.

Last edited by RTC63; 06-28-2024 at 11:17 AM.
Old 06-28-2024, 01:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2019 C63CS
FWIW, I do wanna point out that due to the wet clutch, parking these cars on a hill can be tricky. It wants to roll down the hill as you are trying to park, just like a manual transmission car. So you have to hold it with the parking brake or take advantage of the hill start assist. The latter should automatically engage when you come to a full stop on a hill. It will hold the brake for a moment, so you can switch your foot over to the throttle pedal w/o the car starting to roll downhill. The brake will automatically release after about 3 seconds or as soon as you give it enough throttle to move uphill. Same for the parking brake. If you engage it to hold the car, it will release automatically as soon as you give it enough throttle. There's usually a bit of a jolt, though.
Old 06-28-2024, 02:45 PM

SL63 AMG
@aquitadeowito: Have you tried the approach I suggested with giving 100 EUR to the chief mechanic (or the person you're dealing with)? Or did you talk to the general manager of the dealership? This is no way to treat a customer, doesn't matter if the car was bought from them or not. This cannot take weeks to be resolved, they need to take your car in, to check out error codes, to contact AMG and open a "ticket" with them.
When I had my car misfiring here in Germany, I left my car at the dealership on a Monday and I picked it up on Friday...fixed. They contacted AMG, an AMG engineer from Berlin (don't know why Berlin since AMG's HQ is in Affalterbach) was involved, he was in his home office and they solved it, ordered the necessary parts and fixed my car/found the problem. This is how it works. Your dealer sending you back home with your unfixed car...this is not how it should work.
Is there maybe a problem with your car I am not aware of? A problem which may make it for the dealership impossible to service your car or what are they so stupid fixing your issues, including Mercedes Me???! I don't get it.
Especially the Mercedes Me issue is an easy fix if the dealer knows what he is doing.
I already gave them 100€ when I went to get some updates done (thinking they would have fixed all the problems), but I had to go back the next day with the clutch problem. I can't just keep giving them 100€ if they didn't even do a good job the first time, maybe I can give it to them when my car is fixed.
Old 06-28-2024, 02:51 PM

SL63 AMG
FWIW, I do wanna point out that due to the wet clutch, parking these cars on a hill can be tricky. It wants to roll down the hill as you are trying to park, just like a manual transmission car. So you have to hold it with the parking brake or take advantage of the hill start assist. The latter should automatically engage when you come to a full stop on a hill. It will hold the brake for a moment, so you can switch your foot over to the throttle pedal w/o the car starting to roll downhill. The brake will automatically release after about 3 seconds or as soon as you give it enough throttle to move uphill. Same for the parking brake. If you engage it to hold the car, it will release automatically as soon as you give it enough throttle. There's usually a bit of a jolt, though.
In no case is it my fault that the clutch is not working properly, even Mercedes took the car to test it, and it was difficult for them to park the car and even drive it up onto a curb because... it doesn't work well... It was also VERY VERY difficult for them to get it into the garage to test it xdd
It is known that it has a manufacturing problem and needs to be fixed. The problem is that I have 1 year left on the warranty, it's been 3 weeks and I would like it to be fixed as soon as possible in case after this repair, some other problem arises, and so I can take advantage of the warranty.
Old 06-28-2024, 02:52 PM

SL63 AMG
Agreed. His AMG dealership in Bucharest seems to be very incompetent...or they don't care because the car is not from them (or both).

Any issues on a 200k+ EUR car needs to be addressed by the dealership ASAP. A couple of weeks without anything happening is quite weird.
I will keep this thread updated until my problem is resolved. I will leave next week as the last one before I start making a claim.

I sometimes look stupid trying to park the car for almost 1-2 minutes because it doesn't move from the spot, and the jerks it gives seem like I don't know how to press the accelerator or the brake.🤡

Last edited by aguitadeowito; 06-28-2024 at 02:53 PM.
The following users liked this post:
California John (06-28-2024)
Old 06-28-2024, 03:32 PM
Out Of Control!!

PFL205.064 with M276.823
I want to add if it doesn't engage just engage brake-hold by stabbing the brake in a quick succession and then turn on the parking brake manually.
Old 06-28-2024, 03:44 PM

SL63 AMG
Originally Posted by W205C43PFL
I want to add if it doesn't engage just engage brake-hold by stabbing the brake in a quick succession and then turn on the parking brake manually.
With the HOLD message, the car also starts to rev and tries to apply force to move forward (and I think you can even hear the sound of the brake squealing due to the force it exerts with the brake on, I'm not 100% sure but I remember hearing that squealing several times).
Old 06-28-2024, 03:49 PM
Out Of Control!!

PFL205.064 with M276.823
With the HOLD message, the car also starts to rev and tries to apply force to move forward (and I think you can even hear the sound of the brake squealing due to the force it exerts with the brake on, I'm not 100% sure but I remember hearing that squealing several times).
Hmmmmmm, that is very strange.
Old 06-28-2024, 03:56 PM

SL63 AMG

I just saw that in fact, it does not have a torque converter,So, the person who assisted me has no idea...In this case, what should I do if they don't even know...
Old 06-28-2024, 07:53 PM
Out Of Control!!

PFL205.064 with M276.823
I just saw that in fact, it does not have a torque converter,So, the person who assisted me has no idea...In this case, what should I do if they don't even know...
Well, change the dealership for sure, since they are replacing and claiming something is broken that doesn't even exist, what are they even doing???
Old 06-28-2024, 09:24 PM
RJC
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 185 Likes on 134 Posts
Why can't MB simply leave the trans business to those that make them well like ZF?
Old 06-29-2024, 12:17 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2019 C63CS
Originally Posted by RJC
Why can't MB simply leave the trans business to those that make them well like ZF?
Because the ZF is dull and inert for a sports/performance car. Nobody makes a transmission like the MCT. It combines the best of a dual clutch and a planetary gearbox. Dual clutch transmissions are fast, crisp and responsive for sequential shifting, but they fall on their face whenever they have to shift out of sequence and/or skip gears. They are also not all that robust due to all the moving parts and the many sensors they require. The latter tend to fail eventually. The MCT is fast, crisp and responsive in both cases, and inherently more robust due to fewer moving parts. No shift arms, synchronizers and stuff required. Torque converters don't belong in performance cars, IMHO. OP had some bad luck and got a Monday lemon, although the SL 63 seems to be riddled with issues in general. They are finally doing updates it looks like and giving every affected owner a $4000 voucher for the troubles the car has given them. FWIW, the 9-speed MCT is awesome and works great in my '19 C63S coupe.

Last edited by superswiss; 06-29-2024 at 12:28 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by superswiss:
California John (06-29-2024), drgek (06-29-2024)
Old 06-29-2024, 10:06 AM
Out Of Control!!

PFL205.064 with M276.823
Because the ZF is dull and inert for a sports/performance car. Nobody makes a transmission like the MCT. It combines the best of a dual clutch and a planetary gearbox. Dual clutch transmissions are fast, crisp and responsive for sequential shifting, but they fall on their face whenever they have to shift out of sequence and/or skip gears. They are also not all that robust due to all the moving parts and the many sensors they require. The latter tend to fail eventually. The MCT is fast, crisp and responsive in both cases, and inherently more robust due to fewer moving parts. No shift arms, synchronizers and stuff required. Torque converters don't belong in performance cars, IMHO. OP had some bad luck and got a Monday lemon, although the SL 63 seems to be riddled with issues in general. They are finally doing updates it looks like and giving every affected owner a $4000 voucher for the troubles the car has given them. FWIW, the 9-speed MCT is awesome and works great in my '19 C63S coupe.
I know people would rather have the PDK, but dare I say it, that transmission is boring...
Old 06-29-2024, 11:30 AM
Super Moderator

Received 3,232 Likes on 2,013 Posts
AMG GTC Roadster, E63s Ed.1, M8 Comp. Coupe
I know we have discussed that before but I take the Getrag DCT from the prior AMG GT in a New York second over the MCT and likewise will do the same for the ZF in the M8.

The ZF software is paired beautifully with their engine and was a newer software version than the F90 M5 (until the LCI).

My last MCT was the 2018 E63s but I believe that was the same version as in your 19 C63s.
Old 06-29-2024, 12:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2019 C63CS
Originally Posted by Wolfman
I know we have discussed that before but I take the Getrag DCT from the prior AMG GT in a New York second over the MCT and likewise will do the same for the ZF in the M8.

The ZF software is paired beautifully with their engine and was a newer software version than the F90 M5 (until the LCI).

My last MCT was the 2018 E63s but I believe that was the same version as in your 19 C63s.
It is not the same, actually. For starters the W213 was the first application of the 9-speed MCT. It had some issues initially. In the meantime I've had the pleasure to drive the GT BS to experience the latest incarnation of the Gertrag DCT, and I've driven several other AMGs with the 9-MCT. 4Matic hanging off the transmission changes things. I can only assume AMG had to tone it down due to the additional momentum and forces that a second driven axle puts on the transmission. Both in the E63 and GT 4-door it shifts less vigorous and less exciting. Outside of the outgoing GT 2-door, the C63 is the only other RWD car. The 9-MCT is more vigorous and even violent in my C63, especially in Sport+. A simpler drivetrain with only one driven axle makes a difference.

Having said that, the SL 63 clearly has teething issues all around. Seems like they are back to having issues with the transmission and then some. Hearing good things about the new GT 63 so far and they may have sorted it out finally. I'm going to Germany in September to drive the new GT 63 as well as the CLE 53 at the Mercedes Test Center in Immendingen. The latter has the TCT, though, but I'm looking forward to experiencing how the 9-MCT feels and shifts in the new GT.

With the ZF, you just don't get around the inertness that a torque converter creates. Great transmission for slow speed driving, stop&go and such, no question, but the numbness of it all is a common critique you hear about the M cars from everybody who has experienced clutch based transmissions. BMW tries hard to engineer artificial feel into it to make it pretend it's a DCT, but it just feels more like a video game. I'm coming from driving manual transmission for 20+ years, so the feel of the clutch engaging and the directness it offers is simply not matched by the ZF.

Last edited by superswiss; 06-29-2024 at 12:37 PM.
Old 06-29-2024, 12:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3,564 Likes on 2,037 Posts
2020 S560 Sedan, 2019 SL450, 2019 E450 Luxury Trim Wagon, '24 BMW I7 on order...
[QUOTE=superswiss;8993725]It is not the same, actually. For starters the W213 was the first application of the 9-speed MCT. It had some issues initially. In the meantime I've had the pleasure to drive the GT BS to experience the latest incarnation of the Gertrag DCT, and I've driven several other AMGs with the 9-MCT. 4Matic hanging off the transmission changes things. I can only assume AMG had to tone it down due to the additional momentum and forces that a second driven axle puts on the transmission. Both in the E63 and GT 4-door it shifts less vigorous and less exciting. Outside of the outgoing GT 2-door, the C63 is the only other RWD car. The 9-MCT is more vigorous and even violent in my C63, especially in Sport+. A simpler drivetrain with only one driven axle makes a difference.

Having said that, the SL 63 clearly has teething issues all around. Seems like they are back to having issues with the transmission and then some. Hearing good things about the new GT 63 so far and they may have sorted it out finally. I'm going to Germany in September to drive the new GT 63 as well as the CLE 53 at the Mercedes Test Center in Immendingen. The latter has the TCT, though, but I'm looking forward to experiencing how the 9-MCT feels and shifts in the new GT.

With the ZF, you just don't get around the inertness that a torque converter creates. Great transmission for slow speed driving, stop&go and such, no question, but the numbness of it all is a common critique you hear about the M cars from everybody who has experienced clutch based transmissions. BMW tries hard to engineer artificial feel into it to make it pretend it's a DCT, but it just feels more like a video game. I'm coming from driving manual transmission for 20+ years, so the feel of the clutch engaging and the directness it offers is simply not matched by the ZF.[/QUOTE

Old 06-29-2024, 12:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2019 C63CS
^^ . Are you just wasting bandwidth this morning? Zero value added to the discussion.
Streamliner (06-29-2024)
Old 06-29-2024, 01:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3,564 Likes on 2,037 Posts
2020 S560 Sedan, 2019 SL450, 2019 E450 Luxury Trim Wagon, '24 BMW I7 on order...
^^ . Are you just wasting bandwidth this morning? Zero value added to the discussion.
I would venture a guess that more than 50% of the postings on MBWORLD are of the frivolous/comedic variety and that I probably post way fewer in that category than most others. Anyway, I enjoy your posts, which are always well composed, serious & to the point, but it’s a lazy, summer, Saturday morning and I just couldn’t help myself. We all need to lighten up a bit. Oh well, it’s 69 degrees in Newport Beach, so it’s time to put the top down and take Mighty Mouse out for a spin!

superswiss (06-29-2024)
Old 06-29-2024, 02:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2019 C63CS
All good. Perhaps a couple of additional thoughts on the ZF vs MCT. I think for somebody who primarily drives in automatic mode, the ZF is probably more to their liking. It doesn't require much thinking and just does its thing. The MCT is more of an engaging transmission and it responds to how one modulates the throttle. It can be driven smoothly, but also very jerky if not thoughtful with the throttle. It's this engagement that I like about it. The way I drive still matters instead of a computer doing it all for me. Compared to the DCT it has two more gears to go through, which can at times result in a lot of shifting.

But, these being performance cars, I personally mostly drive them in manual mode and basically stay out of 8th and 9th gear unless I'm just cruising along. What I like is that the first 6 gears are short, because it doesn't have to compromise having another three taller highway gears. Both the DCT and the MCT are just more satisfying to shift manually than the ZF is, which for a performance car is where it's at for me. I do admit that AMGs are not great at being commuter or city cars, but that's not what I have mine for.

Last edited by superswiss; 06-29-2024 at 02:30 PM.
California John (06-29-2024)

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: SL/R232: AMG SL 63 Problems