SL-Class (R232) Discussion on the 2022 R232

SL/R232: Impressions of my SL55 as a grand tourer

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-03-2024, 09:54 PM

Received 129 Likes on 68 Posts
2022 SL55 AMG Roadster; 2024 Land Rover P400 Defender 110; 2020 Porsche Macan S; 2023 Audi Q5
Impressions of my SL55 as a grand tourer

I’m moving my car from my home in suburban Chicago to Palm Springs, so I decided to drive it there. In my first two days, I’ve logged about 1620 miles (still have about 450 left). Here are some observations/impressions.

1. Very comfortable; I love the massage function and “Hey Mercedes” works flawlessly to activate it. I said thank you to it once, and it replied with a “You’re welcome.”
2. Plenty of power. When changing lanes to pass, it helps to downshift prior to the lane change to avoid a lag. At least in Comfort mode.
3. The ADAS works quite well. Interestingly, my tire pressure warning went on once and that shuts down ADAS function. All restored when I checked my tires and reset the pressures in settings.
4. Trunk space is what it is. Enough for two soft duffles.
5. I’ve mentioned this before, but I think the stock Burmester sound system is superb. Far better than the one that was a 5K upgrade in my 992 Carrera S.
6. Ride is outstanding, although the tarmac on I-76 in western Nebraska and northeast Colorado is disgraceful.
7. The weight of the car is very noticeable in long sweepers; it’s better controlled in Sport+.
8. The MBUX screen gets a lot of flack. I’m not wild about the way it looks in there but I find it very efficient to use.
9. Due to the unreliability of the Apple Car Play connection (I think it’s about the worst of any car I own), I used the car’s native navigation system. Graphics are excellent. But it tried to route me 100 miles out of my way in small town Utah. Go figure.
10. Driving mostly in the 70-85 mph range I’m getting about 23 mpg, which makes the range quite acceptable
The following 2 users liked this post by drgek:
California John (08-04-2024), RJC (08-04-2024)
Old 08-04-2024, 12:58 PM

Received 194 Likes on 158 Posts
SL63
drgek
My 22 SL is presenting in a very similar fashion. I haven’t used the massage function yet, because I haven’t had any long trips. You are doing your SL a great service taking it out of Chicago salted road winter weather, and putting it in the dry desert air of Palm Springs. I really love and enjoy the desert. But only to visit. I would not really want to live there. If I had to choose between Chicago and Palm Springs though, it would be a hard no for Chicago, and a reluctant yes to Palm Springs. I definitely can see the allure of it, especially in comparison.
The following users liked this post:
California John (08-04-2024)