SL/R232: If it looks like a screen why not use it as a screen

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-08-2024, 10:48 PM
wem

Received 191 Likes on 109 Posts
'22 AMG SL55;'23 Porsche Cayenne S Coupe;'13 Porsche Boxster S
If it looks like a screen why not use it as a screen

I know that there will be some who will question the safety aspects of video in motion. Putting that aside for the moment, I discovered a great device that will take any HDMI source and convert it to an Apple Carplay signal to play on the center screen. This is not a Car Play Android box. This works much better. It took me about 10 minutes to set up. I used a Roku Stick I had at home. I connected the Roku to the SL's hotspot. No buffering issues. The resolution looks great. The Ottocast Car TV Mate was fairly inexpensive on Amazon.

The setup fits in the compartment under the screen or in the glove box (beware of heat buildup in the glove box). You can power the Roku via the usb-a port on the Ottcast device.

The following users liked this post:
Raulr (08-11-2024)
Old 08-11-2024, 08:33 AM

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
SL63AMG
There are plenty of solutions.
Some of them, first one is the fastest, in order of speed:

Old 08-11-2024, 11:12 AM
wem

Received 191 Likes on 109 Posts
'22 AMG SL55;'23 Porsche Cayenne S Coupe;'13 Porsche Boxster S
I believe that the solutions you listed are Carplay AI boxes. Those have been around for awhile and typically operate on an Android platform with a bunch of apps preloaded. I have owned three of those in the past. They are pretty glitchy and require frequent updates. They typically cost $200+. After awhile, all three of mine locked up and stopped loading.

The Ottocast Car TV Mate is totally different. It is a HDMI passthrough box. You can attach ANY HDMI device, including streaming devices, game consoles, cellphone with HDMI adapter, etc. It does not have any preloaded apps. Its sole purpose is to transmit a HDMI signal to a wired Carplay display. It cost $70 on Amazon.

A few observations since my original post. The Roku Streaming Stick+ suffered from frequent Audio/Video sync issues. It is a problem with many Roku streaming devices (it is not specific to the Ottocast). I purchased an Amazon Fire TV Stick 4K for $30. It works flawlessly. For a power source, instead of plugging it in the USB-A port on the Ottocast, I decided to use the 12V outlet in the compartment under the screen with a cigarette lighter to USB adapter (I totally forgot that the car had a 12V outlet). Unlike the Roku, the Amazon Fire TV Stick has a setting for Audio/Video sync as well as video settings (I turned off the HDR and moved the A/V sync slider all the way to the left in the Fire TV stick settings, and the A/V sync is perfect).

Unlike the Carplay AI boxes, I can easily switch between the Ottocast Car TV Mate which shows up in the SL as a phone device on Apple Car Play, and Android Auto for my Samsung cellphone. In addition, while using the screen for Ottocast/Firestick video, I can use the SL's factory Nav for directions that display on the driver's dashboard screen and in my HUD. My experience with the Carplay AI boxes was that you could not run the factory Nav, Waze, Google Maps, or another video source like YouTube at the same time because the screens could only display one video source. With the Ottocast Car TV Mate, the large center screen can run a video source with a streaming stick of your choice, I can switch easily between the Ottocast, and Android Auto, and I can run a Nav program on the driver's dashboard screen at the same. My favorite use is to play music concert videos using the Fire TV Stick. The sound is terrific through the SL's audio system, the picture is entertaining for my passengers (it displays in 1080P), and it provides another use for the large display.

Last edited by wem; 08-11-2024 at 11:19 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Raulr (08-13-2024)