SL/SLC-Class (R107) 1971-1989 : 250SL, 280SL, 450 SL, 380 SLC, 450 SL, 380 SL, 560 SL

SL/R107: Stalling at Idle

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-24-2005, 09:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Stalling at Idle

Hello everyone. My 1973 450 SLC (130k) has been stalling while at idle in Drive. The MB mechs said that when the engine warms, the idle becomes irratic. They suggested that the sparkplugs, alternator, and associated wires be replaced, telling me that this might not solve my problem. Does anyone here have an idea what could be causing it?
Question 2:
I was helping my window go up by pushing it along, and I dislodged it from the track. The motor is working fine, but they said the regulator needs to be replaced. What is it? Could the regulator have been damaged from the window being off the track?
Old 05-25-2005, 10:25 PM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'81 380SL/dual cam chain-LT4 vette-Z06 ('03) vette-I need a bigger garage....
Talking

I haven't gotten inside the door panel yet, but I have experienced two problems with idle that I repaired. First was the 'frequency valve' I think they call it. It is located on the left side of engine between valve cover and fuel injection system. Mine leaked and caused eratic idle w/surging at a stop.

Second problem arose while just coming off idle with the pedal. Car would die. I had to always push pedal aggressively and farther than just moving slowly forward. Solution was to adjust the million little throttle joints on the engine. It seems that unless all is adjusted correctly, some modules open up and operate before others........(best I could come up with......anyhoo, the car now works)