SL/SLC-Class (R107) 1971-1989 : 250SL, 280SL, 450 SL, 380 SLC, 450 SL, 380 SL, 560 SL

SL/R107: Known issues / problems with the R107

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-20-2005, 11:39 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
355 F1 Spider & ......V12 w220.176
Known issues / problems with the R107

I did a quick search and didn't find anything.

I thought it would be a good idea for you "informed" to have a thread of known issues with these cars.

I'm starting to get into the market for a 560sl and I'd like to know if there is anything to specifically look for that could be a potential problem.

Thanks
Old 06-20-2005, 06:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1988 560SL
I'll list one... No matter what I do, everytime I drive mine, the gas guage drops a little. After a week or two, I even have to go to a gas station and fill-er up!

Seriously, the only Issue I consider a priority is the condition of the timing gear... more namely, the guides and chain (especially guides). Other issues are similar to any 15+ year old car... Rubber deteriorates (engine mounts, sub-frame and cross-member mounts, etc), Cooling systems sludge up (if not serviced regularly) and electrolytic action in old coolant dissolves aluminum. You know, the normal stuff. Climate control can be a bear, along with the vacuum pods (servos) that distribute the airflow.

The cars were not nick-named panzerwagen for nothing (built like a tank). I do not personally know about the earlier vintage 107's, but the 560 seems to have had most of the kinks worked out by its arrival in 1986.
Old 06-20-2005, 07:31 PM

Thanks for the reply............

I think that first issue is a common issue. I wouldn't sell the car over it. You'd be surprised to know that if you can go two weeks your doing ok. My 355 drops faster.....

Is there an easy way to check the guides and chain? I'm not sure most people selling would want the engine opened up.
Old 06-21-2005, 08:25 AM

1988 560SL
Nice car, by the way... Lets face it... I'm sure gas mileage was not a concern when we chose our rides.

Unfortunately, I am not aware of any other way to check on chain/guides other than remove the passenger-side valve cover. I have seen it recommended several times to remove the passenger side since less "other stuff" has to be disturbed... I have often wondered if a remote camera could peer into the bowels of the timing cover thru the oil fill port? With a bright light, and a dental mirror, the chain can be seen fairly clearly.

If service records indicate the guides have been replaced recently (in time, not miles as plastic gets brittle, ya know), then I would not be too concerned. Some owners have reported audible "chain slap" upon start-up and acceleration when guides have subsequently been found to be broken... Of course, the tensioner could cause similar sounds, I guess.

There are a couple of other good sites with info on the older SL's. I recommend viewing oursl.com, mercedesshop.com, and benzworld.org. Oursl.com is devoted entirely to the SL's, but the forums, like this one, do not see a lot of action. The guys on mercedesshop seem to be more vocal.
benzworld.org has a gallery where registered members can post pictures of their rides... Mine is posted under the screen name, "Walrus". Lots of fine examples of the ol' 107's posted there.

Happy hunting... And post pics of the 355!

Last edited by Ears; 06-21-2005 at 08:31 AM.
Old 06-21-2005, 10:53 AM

Super thanks

& a pict for you.....
Old 06-21-2005, 10:55 AM

Super thanks

& a pict for you.....

You say, plastic, what is plastic? Not the chain........
Attached Thumbnails Known issues  / problems with the R107-ferrari-fun-1.jpg  
Old 06-21-2005, 03:14 PM

1988 560SL
Yeah, plastic... probably more accurately, some type of nylon or such. Not the chain, but the chain guides. I believe the 560 uses guides made of entirely plastic (the chain is a metal, double-row roller chain), where the older 107's have been reported to be metal, with a plastic "insert". I don't know if you are aware of the concern, but the guides can break through the holes that mount them to the timing case, and lodge between the chain and the valve cover. This temporarily locks or scotches the chain, which then punctures the valve cover (as the chain tries to ride over the broken guide), which may break the chain, but at least causes the chain to jump time on the overhead cam, followed by the piston crashing into the valves.

D**n fine ride you have there... I likey! Sure would look cool to have a black 107 setting right by it's side.
Old 06-22-2005, 01:42 AM

Originally Posted by Ears
Yeah, plastic... probably more accurately, some type of nylon or such. Not the chain, but the chain guides. I believe the 560 uses guides made of entirely plastic (the chain is a metal, double-row roller chain), where the older 107's have been reported to be metal, with a plastic "insert". I don't know if you are aware of the concern, but the guides can break through the holes that mount them to the timing case, and lodge between the chain and the valve cover. This temporarily locks or scotches the chain, which then punctures the valve cover (as the chain tries to ride over the broken guide), which may break the chain, but at least causes the chain to jump time on the overhead cam, followed by the piston crashing into the valves.

D**n fine ride you have there... I likey! Sure would look cool to have a black 107 setting right by it's side.

My mom has a 380sl and I know they have had issues in this area, but no I didn't know about it. Sounds as bad as a belt change on the 355. What am I thinking!!!!

Thanks and yes it would look nice w/ a black or silver one near by. We'll see........

I'm also thinking about a 190sl.
Old 06-24-2005, 05:29 PM

107 Issues

sl107.com is out there too - a little more active than here but not wildly so. However, over time, a great deal of good information has been compiled in threads you can search.

The chain guide issue affects all the '80s V8 engines. Time and heat make the guides brittle not to mention guiding an 8 foot timing chain around. Not a big deal really, especially DIY if you are able.

Its only a big deal if you try to go cheap on maintenance and skip it - it is a maintenance must (factory says every 100,000 miles) - then you ruin the top half of the engine when the broken pieces of the guide cause the chain to jump.

In general, they are not hard to work on, parts are easily found and there are still knowledgeable mechanics around to work on them if you are so inclined.

They are fun drivers but you need extra time when you go somewhere in it - someone always wants a minute or two to talk to you when you stop.

Kevin
Old 06-24-2005, 06:32 PM

Thanks Kevin,

Is this an engine out procedure?
Old 06-24-2005, 10:10 PM

1988 560SL
Letsjet,

It is not an "engine out" procedure. I think a quick search on mercedesshop.com will produce a step-by-step procedure... or at least a link to one...

Enjoy!

btw, what year model is your mom's 380? 83 and 84 (I think) had a single row timing chain... really need to stay on top if that dude. I may be one year wrong, but it was US cars only for two years where single row chains were used. Might want to check on service history, mileage, and such to play it safe.
Old 06-26-2005, 05:33 PM

Originally Posted by Ears
Letsjet,

It is not an "engine out" procedure. I think a quick search on mercedesshop.com will produce a step-by-step procedure... or at least a link to one...

Enjoy!

btw, what year model is your mom's 380? 83 and 84 (I think) had a single row timing chain... really need to stay on top if that dude. I may be one year wrong, but it was US cars only for two years where single row chains were used. Might want to check on service history, mileage, and such to play it safe.
Thanks, I will..........

'84