SL/SLC-Class (R107) 1971-1989 : 250SL, 280SL, 450 SL, 380 SLC, 450 SL, 380 SL, 560 SL

SL/R107: New owner with stalling problem

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 11-01-2005 | 03:03 PM

1989 560SL
Question New owner with stalling problem

4 weeks ago I bought a 1989 560SL I found on the internet, and had it shipped from SF to Chicago. Prior buying I had an MB mechanic in SF who a trusted friend referred me to check it out, and knew that I was getting a one-owner very clean 59K mileage California car with no major problems. In fact in 16 years the owner had never taken off the hardtop, the softtop looks brand new! This is the first car I've ever bought that was for more than just transportation--I've always loved the look of the old MB roadsters and figured at age 55 I could finally treat myself to something fun. Of course in Chicago's climate, that will be limited to about 6-8 months a year....

I had my mechanic here (a good competent one) do a complete tuneup and fix some minor things, but the car continues to have a problem with the engine dying after it's been running for a couple minutes when I accelerate from a complete stop. It feels like it's not getting enough gas. Also, the fuel pump makes an audible whining sound all the time. Once the car has been running for 5-10 minutes, the stalling stops. It does not matter if the engine is cold, it will stall sometimes when restarted and still warm if it's sat for even a couple minutes.

Any advice (and encouragement) would be greatly appreciated! Also, anyone who has any advice re storing during the snow/salt season, please let me know what you do...I'm both thrilled and anxious about what I've gotten into....

Thanks!!!
Old 11-01-2005 | 03:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

1967 Morris Cooper "S", 1983 911SC, 1997 Toyota Tacoma, 1999 HD FXSTB, 1998 C43
I don't think it's anything serious...probably with that low mileage the fuel filter might be crudded up - it may have never been replaced. Also, I remember those fuel pumps being pretty noisy, even when operating normally.

Additionally, let me just say, be a little patient...I'm sure someone on the board will be all to happy to provide you with a solution - if they have encountered this problem before.
Old 11-01-2005 | 11:37 PM

1988 560SL
Hi Chev... Glad to have you aboard. Let me also welcome you to m b n z.org... The 107 board there is much more lively, with more input from many enthusiastic owners...

On your question on stalling... Two things come to mind, and I'm only shooting in the dark, here. First, here is an old axiom... "if your pumps a hummin, you'll soon be a thumbin'..." A noisy pump is usually sign of impending failure. My 560's pump, along with others I have experienced, is barely audible...

Secondly, Without more info, I can only offer one other suggestion. Run a bottle of techron, according to the directions, thru the system a couple of tanks. I do not expect this to cure your problem, but who knows? A low mileage Sl like yours has had to set for a spell at times, and could use a bit of cleaning of the ole arteries... If you have other symptoms, like idle inconsistencies, hard starting, etc, check with teh guys at mbnz... This has been discussed many times, and a search of the 107 forum will provide you with lotsa reading material.

Congrats and welcome to the 107!
Old 11-02-2005 | 02:03 PM

1989 560SL
Thanks for the welcome and advice, it feels great to know there's a whole community of 107 owners to be a part of!