SL/SLC-Class (R107) 1971-1989 : 250SL, 280SL, 450 SL, 380 SLC, 450 SL, 380 SL, 560 SL

SL/R107: I broke something.... What is it?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-21-2008, 12:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1985 MB 380SL
I broke something.... What is it?

Help! Who knows what I just broke???

While working to install a new stereo in my 380SL, I broke this thing that looked like a little bulb going in the center of device you see in the picture. The little bulb is wired on the cigarette lighter circuit so it would be on at all times while the ignition is on. Just the glass broke so I presumably can get another one and plug it in if I only knew what it was??
Everything appears to still work on the car, so what did I just break?
The whole ensemble you see in the photo is located right underneath the stereo, behind the center console panel.

Thank you in anticipation!
Attached Thumbnails I broke something.... What is it?-what_is_this.jpg  
Old 11-22-2008, 12:24 PM

I have a 1985 380SL also, but, haven't done any work under the radio. What are they cables coming out of the sides? Not vacuum lines? Maybe that bulb provided lighting to the dash?

I am sure some of the members in here will know what that was. Anyone??

Originally Posted by sailrboy
Help! Who knows what I just broke???

While working to install a new stereo in my 380SL, I broke this thing that looked like a little bulb going in the center of device you see in the picture. The little bulb is wired on the cigarette lighter circuit so it would be on at all times while the ignition is on. Just the glass broke so I presumably can get another one and plug it in if I only knew what it was??
Everything appears to still work on the car, so what did I just break?
The whole ensemble you see in the photo is located right underneath the stereo, behind the center console panel.

Thank you in anticipation!
Old 11-24-2008, 08:16 AM

1985 MB 380SL
Dashboard lighting

I figured it out. The "cables" coming out are actually fiber-optic cables going behind 2 of the switches: The antenna up/down and the rear windshield defogger. They simply provide illumination to the switches by channeling light from the light bulb. There are 2 cables but two of them lead to the same switch....
Why Mercedes chose to do that just for these 2 switches? Who knows?! At least I now know what that is.

Cheers!