SL/SLC-Class (R107) 1971-1989 : 250SL, 280SL, 450 SL, 380 SLC, 450 SL, 380 SL, 560 SL

SL/R107: timing question

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-14-2010, 03:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
280c,450sl,450slc
timing question

So i found that my 75 450sl engines top end turned into a turd due to a special little chunk of timing chain guide that decided to lodge itself between a cam gear and the chain. After several days of degreasing and rebuilding i am to the point of firing it up for the first time. My question in reguards to timing is, when i set my timing up with the heads off on TDC(the highest point of compression on #1 piston), and the cams set dead on their marks, why is my timing on the water pump at 12 degrees BTDC? Is it supposed to be this way? The engine turns without obstruction. Did i do something wrong?

Now for a much needed statement. For those of you out there that find yourselves in the same situation that i was, think long and hard before you attempt to pull the heads and timing chain cover. It is turely the worst engine i have ever had the experience of working on. I build custom rotary engines, hot rod engines, and even rebuild antique engines going all the way back to the 30's, and this monster has thus far beat out every engine i ever worked on by being the worst. The problem is that with most car makers engines you can see something and ask the question why was something done a certain way and actually come to some logical conclusion. This engine is about 50% that way, and the other 50% making no sense at all. It leaves you scratching your head and trying to convince yourself that this is still a mercedes engine.