SL/SLC-Class (R107) 1971-1989 : 250SL, 280SL, 450 SL, 380 SLC, 450 SL, 380 SL, 560 SL

SL/R107: Trade for a 76 SL 450

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-27-2012, 03:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
W203 C320
Trade for a 76 SL 450

Hey everyone,

I'm not totally new to MBWorld, but I am new to this forum.

Anyways, I own a w203 c320 that I love and that is my daily driver. Cool.

I have yet to sell my old daily driver, a 2000 MK4 VW Jetta 2.slow. Because it's in rougher condition, I decided I would try and see what I could get trade wise hoping I could get something that was worth more.

A guy offered me this morning a 76 SL I THINK 450. The reason I say, I think, is because originally the kid said it was a 1960 BMW. Huge difference. He knows nothing about the car. Why? His dad gave it to him and it sat in barn since. He told me when he got it ran, but now it needs a fuel filter and new spark plug wires. He said you can put gas in the injectors and it will crank.

Needs a new top, but the rest of the body is in good condition. It's brown.

I haven't asked about the transmission yet, but I'm assuming it's a 3 speed auto from my quick read on Wiki. No idea the current miles, but it has a title, yay!

Right now, I value my Jetta at $1600, that's how much I'd take cash. From what've I've seen, these SL's sell higher than that.

So what do you guys think? I have a feeling he doesn't know what it's worth and doesn't really care.

When I do go look at it, what should I look for? It's obviously not drivable. Any signs of a bad buy?

Mechanically, what it's like working on these cars? I work on both bikes and cars, and have always done my own repairs. I enjoy reading about new fixes and solving motor puzzles. This car by no means will be a daily driver, just something fun to take the girl out in on a Friday night.

Once he is out of work, I'll ask some more questions, so shoot!

Thanks!
Old 10-13-2012, 01:04 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1985 380 sl
Good Luck

These cars are really enjoyable to drive ... parts cost about the same as any other car and they easy to get. Look if this car looks like somebody took care of it you would be stealing it off the kid ... on the other hand I think the Jetta would be perfect for him.
If you can turn a wrench to get that baby rolling again you will be smiling ear to ear brother.Even if the car was a little rough it would still be worth twice your Jetta.
Whenever you can great deal on a car ... and it's an antique Mercedes you might as wll take it ... keep it in the garage and put that classic car insurance on it (its real cheap)
That's what I would do ... oh yeah ... I already did.