SL/SLC-Class (R107) 1971-1989 : 250SL, 280SL, 450 SL, 380 SLC, 450 SL, 380 SL, 560 SL

SL/R107: Common water leaks? Help

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-30-2012, 10:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Red 1989 560 SL
Common water leaks? Help

We have a 1989 560SL. Recently we installed the hard top and noticed a plugged drain where the canvas top folds in to (right by the corners just behind the drivers door. We thought we had the source of a leak because of some recent wet floors.

We cleared the drain holes with compressed air and tested some water, everything seemed ok.

We are getting significant amount of water into the car floors and the battery tray int eh trunk now . Recently all the gauges went dead along with the power windows

Not good

Any help as to where the leak may be coming from?
Old 06-19-2013, 07:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Water leaks

I have an '85 380 SL. I also had a lot of water in the front passenger and read well inside the car whenever we had a heavy rain. I opened the heater blower cover and that was filled with water. There are at least 2 drains in there that run out to the bottom of the car. Blow them out with compressed air. There are also 2 other drain hoses that are only accessible if you take the cover off uner the dash board on both sides. I did that and found the other hoses and blew them out. Now I only have a very small leak behind the gas pedal, that I think is coming in from the windshield. I taped the windshield between the trim and glass and the last rainfall I didn't see any water.
The only problem, is that my car is all apart and I have to figure out how to put it back together.