SL/SLC-Class (R107) 1971-1989 : 250SL, 280SL, 450 SL, 380 SLC, 450 SL, 380 SL, 560 SL

SL/R107: Changing steering wheel

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-31-2017, 02:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SL 560 1987
Changing steering wheel

How do I disconnect drivers airbag and bypass the SRS system when change to a steering wheel without airbag on my SL 560 - 87.
Old 09-03-2017, 08:08 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
1987 560SL
First ensure the ignition is in the OFF position and key removed. Then disconnect the negative battery connection -- I like to cover with an insulator (piece of wood) to prevent accidental reconnection. Next pull the carpet from the passenger side and remove the panel there. There should be a nice big warning sticker about the SRS system. Disconnect the red 11-pin connector.

Now you can remove the 2 T25 Torx connectors that hold the airbag onto the steering wheel from behind-- it can be a bit tight so a short Torx driver is easier. The screws will likely stay in the steering wheel but you can now remove the airbag and remove the red connector on the back.

Be sure to place it somewhere safe, with emblem up so an accidental discharge doesn't launch the metal backing somewhere bad.

Not sure how to disable SRS for when the new steering wheel is in place. I think the SRS does more than just the airbag (seatbelt tensioner on impact, for example) so you probably dontt want to disable it completely. If all else fails just pull the bulb from the SRS warning light I suppose.
The following users liked this post:
Mustang 66 (09-06-2017)
Old 09-10-2017, 03:34 PM

Received 37 Likes on 27 Posts
W123 300CD, R107 560SL, W211 E320
I have done precisely this.

My car was a 1988 560SL. It is pretty much as oncebitter describes. The onLy differences with his description are:

- The Torx is a T30 and you will need a LONG one instead of a short.
The reach to the head of the fastener is too long for a short Torx.

- If you leave the connector under the carpet unplugged you will not
get an airbag fault light but as he said, other functions may be
disabled also.

Your biggest problem is going to be removing the central flathead steering wheel bolt. For some reason MB fears the steering wheel coming off in your hands. That bolt is VERY tight and has some aggressive threadlocker on it. I found it useful to apply heat from a heatgun before I could remove it. I also used air impact. It does not have to go on nearly as tightly.
Attached Thumbnails Changing steering wheel-best-show.jpg