SL/SLC-Class (R107) 1971-1989 : 250SL, 280SL, 450 SL, 380 SLC, 450 SL, 380 SL, 560 SL

SL/R107: 71-89 SL series reliability?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-13-2018, 04:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
n/a
71-89 SL series reliability?

hey.

so my mom said she would get me a car as graduation present in a couple years. i found the 1971-1989 Merc SL series and i haven't found a car that could be any sexier & plus it's about the same price, if not cheaper than a new Kia. anyways, she *(my mom)* doesn't like this choice b/c ,,it's an old Mercedes so it's gonna be the most unreliable thing on Earth". so i would like to ask how ownership, maintenance, & general reliability are.

i do realize that that 1971-1989 is 18 years and it includes the whole entire run and many things could change over that time, so i'll try to focus on late*(er)* models. probably looking at 1983-1989. *(i saw someone said to avoid pre-'86 models tho).* i do realize that they may not be as reliable as other Mercs from the same era such as the W123. the reliability and maintenance of the SL's kinda worry me b/c such good looking classic cars from a German luxury brand can be had for less than a Mitsubishi Mirage in some cases.

is there some type of problem that plagues these cars which makes them so cheap? is the price of the car worth it compared to stuff like cost of ownership & maintenance; or would i be better getting a Volvo 240 wagon?

what are some things that i need to look out for when buying one & what are some tips to make the experience w/ the car even more enjoyable & to help keep the car running healthily?

last question: do you think the prices of these cars will skyrocket in two years time when i will finally have the chance to get one?

thx