SL/SLC-Class (R107) 1971-1989 : 250SL, 280SL, 450 SL, 380 SLC, 450 SL, 380 SL, 560 SL

SL/R107: Just stalls

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-30-2018, 11:55 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
560sl 1989
Unhappy Just stalls

Hi everyone just joined I have 1989 560sl with 90,000 miles. She has been just shut off when driving lately, and also when just idling, had the distributor cap, and rotors done, still doing it. If anyone can help with this problem, or if you have had the same with your car please give me any input, I weary about driving her because it's alarming when it happens. Thanks all!
Old 11-25-2018, 11:16 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
1986 560sl
Sounds like a fuel problem. You might try some techtron fuel additive / injector cleaner for a few tankfulls. Many think that will help but I'm not so sure. Mechanically you might want to replace the fuel filter located behind the right rear wheel next to the fuel pumps. There is also a fuel strainer in the gas tank where the fuel is piped to the fuel pumps. I have never done that but it looks like a real job!

you want to check fuel pressure, system and control at the fuel distributor. Parts houses have test kits you can loan out but you will need some additional fittings

at 90 k I guess new fuel injectors could be in order. But I think bad injectors which no longer atomizer but shoot a stream of fuel will make it run rough but not cause a stall.

doing searches on KE Jetronic will swamp you with a lot of good info.

ignition wise you might want to consider new rotor, distributor cap and maybe ignition coil and wires. Spark plugs too.

hopeful lot the guys who know these engines will chime in.