SL/SLC-Class (R107) 1971-1989 : 250SL, 280SL, 450 SL, 380 SLC, 450 SL, 380 SL, 560 SL

SL/R107: New SL owner needs advice please

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-13-2018, 09:06 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1986 SL300
New SL owner needs advice please

Hello
I now own lovely 86/87 SL300 and I would appreciate some advice. I had this car checked out thoroughly by a well known SL establishment before a trip abroad. This came to a halt outside Valencia and it was repatriated. I had my local mechanic look at it and the problem was nothing more than a burnt out rotor arm and decrepit distributor(luckily he had second hand ones). Whether I would have found this out myself is debatable but foolishly I did not take tools. I have now decided to trust only my own decisions.
I have some other classic cars(e-type and Range Rover) which I have brought to a very reliable state-this is what I want with my SL but do not know it well enough yet.
So the question is what do I need to do that is moderately achievable now and what should I need to have aboard in case of failure.
I have replaced
Rotor,Distributor,HT leads, coil, plugs, Fuel pump and filter, over volt protection relay(all the old ones will go in the emergency pack bar the relay). I have heard of things like vunerable fuel pump relays etc but my knowledge is little and
I need to find out the location of these things before the breakdown not after!
I expect this is probably a regular question but cannot find "stickies" so I would really appreciate your combined knowledge.
Many thanks
Simon