SL/SLC-Class (R107) 1971-1989 : 250SL, 280SL, 450 SL, 380 SLC, 450 SL, 380 SL, 560 SL

SL/R107: 1980 SLC Emissions, etc.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-28-2004, 10:42 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1980 SLC Emissions, etc.

Hi,

Just bought a nice California 1980 450slc with 87k on it. I’m planning on pestering you guys with questions, but I’m waiting to get the CD manual so I don’t ask stupid questions.

In the meantime, I do have a few questions about the injection system and US emissions, which I understand choked this model down to only 160hp.

1. If I wanted to rally it, does anyone sell “test pipes” to install in place of the catalytic converter? If not, is it straightforward for a muffler shop to make one? Would it be a reversible process if I wanted to put it back on the street?
2. Are there any other simple performance boosters on the market or tricks easily done by a machine shop? I’ve looked around, but I’m surprised that there really isn’t much available aftermarket for the W107.
3. Anybody have an opinion about the K&N filter for this model?
4. What kind of fuel injection does this model use – I think it’s Bosch Jetronic, but is it K or L? I have some experience with L Jet (I had a 1980 Porsche 928). In either case, my understanding is that to boost performance you have to get more air in and/or get more exhaust out.
5. Was there anything special about the emissions on California models that year? If so, how much more damage did it do to performance and is it removable now that it’s out of California?
6. What octane do I need to use? I’ve been putting premium in it until I find out for sure. Stupid question I know, but there is no owner’s manual with the car and I haven’t been able to find anything online about it.

Thanks, Jeff
jpkjpkjpk@aol.com