SL/SLC-Class (R107) 1971-1989 : 250SL, 280SL, 450 SL, 380 SLC, 450 SL, 380 SL, 560 SL

SL/R107: Max Headroom

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-17-2005, 07:16 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Max Headroom

After a long search, I have found and purchased a pristine, ultra low mileage [<10K] 1988 560.

I dealing with some dry seals and changing out all the fluids, mounting new tires, etc., I am cleaning, scrubbing, polishing and generally loving up on the car. Everything works just fine, but I have one problem. Even with the little seat lever on the left of the seat in max down, I don't have enough headroom. In fact, with the hardtop on, I find my head up against the roof of the car.

I have been told there are adjusters to the seat height, and others have said that the actual seat track rail can be adjusted downwards, but I cannot see where such adjustment is possible. Perhaps these did exist on earlier models, but on my 1988, I cannot find them. Is anyone out there familiar with these adjustments to seat height in an '88 107?

Any help will be much appreciated. Thanks.
Old 02-20-2005, 01:13 AM

Sounds like you found a great 88. My 88 has plenty of head room. But this only proves that dispite what most big guys think, it is often better to be a little guy like me.

Sorry I am not aware of a seat height adjustment other than by the lever on the left side of you seat. Be sure it is working as the height adjustment in my experience tends not to work well and can tend to want to just stick in one place. Seat adustments and AC seem to be Mercedes weak points. Although I haven't paid close attention it seems to me the softtop gives you more headroom as it has less of a headliner. When spring comes and you use your softtop or better yet take the top down, the problem may take care of itself.

Enjoy your car - its a great toy!
Old 02-25-2005, 09:08 PM

96 S600 Euro, 91 560 SEC, 88 300TE, 87 560SEL, 86 560SL, 80 280SE, 64 Austin Healey 3000MIII
I wish you the best of luck w/ the car.. I'm a little leary of the ultra low mileage examples..they often come w/ their own bag of issues that can be costly to repair. In regards to seat height there is the lever on the side of the seat, 3 clicks your at full height then it kicks back down. I'm 6'2 and my head fit w/ room..now leg room etc is a different story.

Jonathan
Old 02-28-2005, 07:25 PM

We're both tall somewhere...

I guess I must be long between the top of my head and my sitter. I sure wish I could do something; always brushing the top of my head is annoying. And even in nice weather, I've got to put the top up to keep in from getting all creased up, and it's a drag.

Thanks for your help.
Old 03-02-2005, 10:21 AM
Almost a Member!

'81 380SL/dual cam chain-LT4 vette-Z06 ('03) vette-I need a bigger garage....
Max, based on the adjustment procedure for my '81, one simply slides the seat forward to expose the rear of the rails. You should find that the knurled knob easily pulls out and allows the rail mounting cam to rotate up or down. The knob then engages on of the holes for the (I think 3) different settings. As far as the front of the rail, you may be able to actually unscrew the bolt and put it into a different mounting postion, I don't remember exactly.
Old 03-04-2005, 06:47 AM

Seat Adjustment

Well, I will look again.

I have not found anything like these knobs. I don't know if I am looking in the wrong place, or this was changed by the time the 1988 models were made. My seat rails end with two bolts firmly attaching the rails to the body floor stamping.
Old 03-04-2005, 09:29 AM
Almost a Member!

'81 380SL/dual cam chain-LT4 vette-Z06 ('03) vette-I need a bigger garage....
PW, sounds like you are looking in the right place. Maybe your model is different. Perhaps you may be able to remove the bolts at the rear of the rail and see if there exists other holes to top and bottom that may be hidden by the rail.
Old 03-15-2005, 12:48 AM

05 SLK 350, 97 S420, 92 Jeep, 04 Kia, 28 Ford Tudor, 51 Ford F3, 01 Harley, 03 Harley
Originally Posted by MB88SL
Sounds like you found a great 88. My 88 has plenty of head room. But this only proves that dispite what most big guys think, it is often better to be a little guy like me.

Sorry I am not aware of a seat height adjustment other than by the lever on the left side of you seat. Be sure it is working as the height adjustment in my experience tends not to work well and can tend to want to just stick in one place. Seat adustments and AC seem to be Mercedes weak points. Although I haven't paid close attention it seems to me the softtop gives you more headroom as it has less of a headliner. When spring comes and you use your softtop or better yet take the top down, the problem may take care of itself.

Enjoy your car - its a great toy!
You got the right info... this was changed before this model year came out.
Old 03-17-2005, 10:43 AM

no head room

The only possible help is to adjust the seat back angle as far back as you can still be comforable. Thius will reduce seat height some. good luck, Abe G (6ft 2 ) just make it on my ol 450 sl 1977.
Old 03-21-2005, 09:17 PM

Seat adjustment

Thanks, everyone. Guess I am just stuck. By the time I get my head off the roof, the seat is creaking, and chafing against the chrome doorsill thingie. Once nice weather gets here, I know how I'll solve this.