SL55 AMG, SL63 AMG, SL65 AMG (R230) 2002 - 2011 (2003 US for SL55 and 2004 for the SL65)

SL55/63/65/R230 AMG: Allocations: the pessimists were right

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-19-2002, 05:15 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1M, F550M, F550B, F40, S600, 365GTC, DBSx2, etc.
Allocations: the pessimists were right

Looks like the optimists of the bunch are gonna be wrong on this one. I got a call from my dealer today with an update: dealers pushing out 100+ cars/month (them included) will see one car every 3 months or so - meaning 3-4 cars a year. Here I am with the 7 spot and I should be almost 20 months out then. Crap.

Hmm... So, uh, time to buy somoene else's spot for 5k

--Dan
Old 06-19-2002, 09:31 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

1995 Jaguar XJS Convertible
Originally posted by Mark Norton
I think the demand for the SL55 has taken them completely by surprise; not the first time they have got their forecasts wrong but lead times like this are likely to lead to a lot of disaffected buyers.
True.. But in the end it will make the model the more scarce and special to those who purchase.

That's no apology for them, I'd love to know how they can get it so completely, hopelessly, utterly wrong and while Mercedes pour hundreds of millions into the Maybach, just to make a corporate statement, they are not apparently prepared to spend a tenth of it on building extra SL capacity.
Maybe this was part of their plan? I mean look at the CL600/55. Try purchasing one of those without waiting. I personally would not like them to mass produce their mose coveted models.

I have a 6.5 year old SL600 and each time I've enquired about replacing it, the lead time has been ridiculous, I've said forget it so I've stayed with what I've got.
True. Ordering a new SL600 takes as much time as any.

Despite our complaints as to what we think Mercedes should do as a company, they will remain on the top tier of their market.
Old 06-19-2002, 09:38 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

1995 Jaguar XJS Convertible
Re: Allocations: the pessimists were right

Originally posted by bobafett
Looks like the optimists of the bunch are gonna be wrong on this one. I got a call from my dealer today with an update: dealers pushing out 100+ cars/month (them included) will see one car every 3 months or so - meaning 3-4 cars a year. Here I am with the 7 spot and I should be almost 20 months out then. Crap.
This was what I was expecting. The largest dealers to receive about 5 vehicles per year. Fortunately my dealer pushes 100 plus vehicles.

Hmm... So, uh, time to buy somoene else's spot for 5k
Hey, you can always have hope!!!