SL55 AMG, SL63 AMG, SL65 AMG (R230) 2002 - 2011 (2003 US for SL55 and 2004 for the SL65)

SL55/63/65/R230 AMG: Buying an used SL55 needs advise

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-30-2005, 01:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Buying an used SL55 needs advise

I have been thinking about getting an SL for a while now and I am finally ready to take the plunge. After test driving both the SL55 and SL600 I have decided on the SL55.

Although I love the power and kick of the SL600 I am a little weary of turbo charged cars. My experience with turbo cars includes Nissan 300zx and Toyota Supra ( both were of the last body style before they were discontinued ). They both had twin turbos and were very fast with mild modifications but the turbos on them just didn't last that long. After experiencing that I am just a little 'turbo shy' in spending $100k+ on a turbo charged car. God knows how much it will cost to replace the turbos on the SL600.

The questions I have on the SL's are:

1) I noticed on the 06' SL brochure that the Comand radio/CD changer will play MP3 cd's. I looked in the 05' brochure and saw no such mention. Is that a new feature for the 06'? And if it is then will I be able to get that feature with a radio swarp or aftermarket modifications?

2) After reading past posted on this forum I got the impression that the best performance upgrade for SL55 is the ECU and pulley uprade. Which company has the best ECU and pulley upgrade for the money.

3) Any of you guys did the pulley upgrade yourself? I love working on my own cars and I'm wondering if the pulley swarp is a mod that a weekend machanic should attempt.

4) Do you guys like the panoramic roof on the SL? The salespeople I spoke with told me that the Panoramic roof option is not that popular an option among the SL they've sold. If that's true, is there a practical reason for that or it's just a matter of personal preference?

Thanks in advance for your responses.
Old 07-30-2005, 02:10 PM

2004 E55
1. The '05 will play mp3's. For about $3500 ish you can get the euro headunit which will play DVD movies and has a built in TV tuner.

2. For the money evosport or hennessey will sell just a pulley kit $1600

3. I did my own pulley. Not a huge deal if you are patient.

The turbos on your old cars didnt' last because you were pushing them to their limit... its pretty well known a BPU supra won't last forever on stock twins. I haven't heard of similar issues with benz's
Old 07-31-2005, 12:37 AM

4) If you do a search of previous posts you will be able to find some previous discussions on the pano roof. The general opinion seems to be that people who live in areas where it is often a bit cloudy find it great as it lets more light in the car and makes the car feel more airy and spacious. Some who live in sunnier areas find it to hot/bright, and although there is a sun shade that slides across it still isnt a complte sun blockout. I think I would take it, but its more a personal preference.
Old 07-31-2005, 08:49 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2005 SL600, 2011 Honda Odyssey Touring Elite
Can't help you on 2 and 3.

1. The '05 can play an mp3 CD or DVD in the slot on COMAND unit itself. The CD changer in the compartment behind the driver's seat does not play mp3 CDs. In the '06 model the CD changer is capable of playing mp3 CDs. I believe that those with an '05 will be able to upgrade to the new changer. Given the large capacity of an mp3 DVD, I have no plans on upgrading for now.

4. I like my pano roof more than I thought I would. I feel that it adds a feeling of spaciousness to the cabin that is lacking in the non-pano cars.
Old 07-31-2005, 04:08 PM

Originally Posted by JackStraw
Can't help you on 2 and 3.

1. The '05 can play an mp3 CD or DVD in the slot on COMAND unit itself. The CD changer in the compartment behind the driver's seat does not play mp3 CDs. In the '06 model the CD changer is capable of playing mp3 CDs. I believe that those with an '05 will be able to upgrade to the new changer. Given the large capacity of an mp3 DVD, I have no plans on upgrading for now.

4. I like my pano roof more than I thought I would. I feel that it adds a feeling of spaciousness to the cabin that is lacking in the non-pano cars.
Thanks for the reply. I found an 04 with the options ( including Pano roof! ) and mileage I want and I 'm just wondering if the 04's headunit will play MP3 Cd's.

Can't wait until I finish my research and get the car!
Old 07-31-2005, 04:13 PM

Originally Posted by MikaelSS
1. The '05 will play mp3's. For about $3500 ish you can get the euro headunit which will play DVD movies and has a built in TV tuner.

2. For the money evosport or hennessey will sell just a pulley kit $1600

3. I did my own pulley. Not a huge deal if you are patient.

The turbos on your old cars didnt' last because you were pushing them to their limit... its pretty well known a BPU supra won't last forever on stock twins. I haven't heard of similar issues with benz's
Thanks for the reply.

I wonder if the 04's will play mp3 cds as well. If not then will I be able to do a radion swarp for one that can.

Did you have to buy a service manual to do the pulley install? If you did, how much did u pay for it?

Thanks!
Old 07-31-2005, 09:11 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2005 SL600, 2011 Honda Odyssey Touring Elite
spanky,

You might be better off seeing if you can swap out the old CD changer in the '04 for a new one that plays mp3s, though I don't know if it is compatible.

The slot on the '04 COMAND unit can be used to play CDs but you will have to remove the nav disk to do so. Even then, I am not sure it will play mp3 CDs, maybe someone with an '04 knows this.

Also, try the Audio & Electronics forum.
Old 07-31-2005, 09:39 PM

Originally Posted by JackStraw
spanky,

You might be better off seeing if you can swap out the old CD changer in the '04 for a new one that plays mp3s, though I don't know if it is compatible.

The slot on the '04 COMAND unit can be used to play CDs but you will have to remove the nav disk to do so. Even then, I am not sure it will play mp3 CDs, maybe someone with an '04 knows this.

Also, try the Audio & Electronics forum.
Thanks for the suggestion. I'm going to spend some time in that forum.