SL55 AMG, SL63 AMG, SL65 AMG (R230) 2002 - 2011 (2003 US for SL55 and 2004 for the SL65)

SL55/63/65/R230 AMG: Got my SL55... now a quick Question

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-24-2005, 03:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
if you want your cars to feel fast then drive a honda civic for a couple of months and dont go near any quick cars, when you get back in your SL it'll feel faster than ever... :p
Old 08-24-2005, 07:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
SL55AMG, Ferrari 348, Ferrari Testarossa, Ferrari F40, Ferrari Mondial t, Ducati 916, Indycar
This thread is rediculous!

Let's see.........a guy with a 700HP Supra and a 200HP bike thinks that a 500HP car feels slow........duh! What brain trust is this guy from. Of course 700 HP is going to feel faster.........because guess what...........it is! If it didn't, then there is something wrong with the Supra. Give me a break. Its all about perspective. When I spend alot of time in the F40 and the SL.......my other cars feel slow.....because guess what..........they are slower!! If I do a few track days in the Indycar (750HP/1500pounds)........the F40 and the SL feel slow. This isn't rocket science.
Old 08-24-2005, 07:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

AMG
whats F40 1/4?
Old 08-24-2005, 08:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts
2020 S560,14 ml350, 03 sl55, silver, pano, slr cams, evo headers, lsd, 2019 s63 cab.
he's not driving on a drag strip.
Old 08-24-2005, 08:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

SL55AMG, Ferrari 348, Ferrari Testarossa, Ferrari F40, Ferrari Mondial t, Ducati 916, Indycar
Originally Posted by theboogers
he's not driving on a drag strip.

Thank you. While I appreciate drags.........I think I have been once in my life and I have to say the top fuel stuff is impressive, but I fell asleep for the rest of the run what ya brung folks..........for me its about the technical skills in tackling a road course or a mountain road. I'm sure there is more to drag racing than just holding on and mashing the throttle, but I never got anything else out of it than that.

As far as the F40's 1/4 time, I don't know or really care.......but I've done a 1:45 around Laguna Seca with it and that felt fast until I managed a 1:30 with the March............then the F40 felt slow and the 348 at 1:56 felt very slow. Oh well...........they are all alot of fun. I'm sure the 700HP Supra would be fun, but how would it be on a road course?
Old 08-24-2005, 11:54 PM

I think we get spoiled driving high end cars. I had a Ferrari 360, it was fast but never impressed me. I have a SL65 now, it is fast, the smoothness of the ride impresses me.
Old 08-25-2005, 01:14 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
4 wheels
I am sensing something is wrong with the Supercharger clutch, or water pump. Get this checked out by the dealer.
Old 08-25-2005, 01:49 AM

10 R8 4.2 ,11 E350, 03 SL55 SOLD, 02 M3 SOLD, 95 NSX SOLD
Thanks again guys...

I guess u guys have to drive my car jsut to see waht im talking about.. I jsut thinking... it cant be so slow and so non repsonsive when i full throttle it... but i will take the car to the dealer tommorow and ask them to check the maf, clutch, supercharger, and see if they can reset some stuff... and ill ahve them test drive it to tell me this cant be... it... im sure a C55 would ride my ***.... thanks.... ill let u know how it comes along... when i get it back...
Old 08-25-2005, 02:07 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

4 wheels
See if you can compare it to another SL55 they might have. I have a good feeling that your ECU is going to be spitting some codes back in STAR Diagnostics. Something doesnt sound right. I mean the 55K engine has plenty of power to snap your neck on full throttle acceleration. At least my E55 does.
Old 08-25-2005, 12:38 PM
zee

2004 Silver CLK500
Wickedrsr:

Just a suggestion here: Take your car to race track, or an empty country road. Now measure your 0-60 mph time with and without enabling the Traction control. Now compare your number to the stock acceleration claimed by Mercedes (around 4.5 seconds). That should tell you if the car is indeed slow or not.

Zee
Old 08-25-2005, 08:40 PM
Almost a Member!

SL55 AMG
The Supra on a road course would be fairly uneventful because of the inefficiency of the large turbocharger and the lack of traction on spool at 30+ psi boost. I'm a dragracer to the heart, but I'd love to try some of the road race tracks with long straights to exploit the fierce acceleration that the car possesses. The brakes are sufficient and handling is on par, but The Supra is better suited for sticky 1/4 mile tracks with Mickey Thompson ET Drag tires with skinnys up front to be honest. My thrill is stumbling upon overpriced exotics and looking at the owners and their female passengers' face as I leave their underpowered, underdriven European cars for dead. What a rush...

Last edited by Fast_SL55; 08-25-2005 at 08:43 PM.
Old 08-26-2005, 04:20 AM

'19 GT 4 63s ,'17 Bentley Bentayga, '06 Ford GT
With my 55, even when I got it, it felt strong acceleration-wise. Bearing in mind my other cars were both supercharged V8s, particularly my Cobra that's bordering on 650RWHP. There was very little problem lighting it up either, it would spin slightly with ESP still on. Now after the mods it spins on slopes, like when I pull of my driveway and take off with mild acceleration. If you launch it on flat road it spins for quite some distance and ESP can't keep up with the extra torque. My current config will leave many a top sports marque in the dust, which is a nice feeling to have. Plus, it's still way more subtle than most of the luxury sports models out there.

Last edited by OzSL55; 08-26-2005 at 04:23 AM.
Old 08-26-2005, 10:17 AM
Almost a Member!

SL55 AMG
Thats just what I wanted to hear Oz, because I'm very much interested in a few performance upgrades to the 55. I'm not crazy about losing my warranty but the quest for power may someday override that! At what opoint with your modifications did you feel that the car was coming alive? Definitely not after the $5000 pulley and ECU upgrade for 40 HP right? lol!
Old 08-26-2005, 09:45 PM

'19 GT 4 63s ,'17 Bentley Bentayga, '06 Ford GT
Originally Posted by Fast_SL55
Thats just what I wanted to hear Oz, because I'm very much interested in a few performance upgrades to the 55. I'm not crazy about losing my warranty but the quest for power may someday override that! At what opoint with your modifications did you feel that the car was coming alive? Definitely not after the $5000 pulley and ECU upgrade for 40 HP right? lol!
The Pulley,chip, and filter kit from QSZ (link) were the first mods I did to car. After that I now have around 378kw/1000nm at the rear wheels, a lot more than 40hp that's for sure... There was no mistaking the difference there, it's huge. I haven't done any exhaust mods and don't know if will to this car as I want it to appear stock for the most part.
Old 08-28-2005, 03:14 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

The Supra on a road course would be fairly uneventful because of the inefficiency of the large turbocharger and the lack of traction on spool at 30+ psi boost. I'm a dragracer to the heart, but I'd love to try some of the road race tracks with long straights to exploit the fierce acceleration that the car possesses. The brakes are sufficient and handling is on par, but The Supra is better suited for sticky 1/4 mile tracks with Mickey Thompson ET Drag tires with skinnys up front to be honest. My thrill is stumbling upon overpriced exotics and looking at the owners and their female passengers' face as I leave their underpowered, underdriven European cars for dead. What a rush...

I happen to be an owner of quite a few of those overpriced exotic cars, and I love them. I have loved them since I was a kid, and am fortunate enough to have them. I usually pick my fights pretty carefully and would make sure that there were lots of corners before taking on overpowered modded ricers because running in straight lines is what they are all about.

Modded Supras might be fast but I bet there are more garages and bedroom walls plastered with Ferrari's than Supras. Have fun.
Old 08-28-2005, 12:23 PM

IanSL55's word What are you impressed with..yeah..we can't help then..i got 98 horsepower at 1.200 kilo and i love it!
Old 08-28-2005, 02:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

03 C32 AMG
Hey Wicked, you should race your friend in the C32 or another car of similar or slightly slower status and see how it compares. That way you could judge it against a car you know is functioning properly and use the results to separate your perceptions from reality. Your perception of the car's speed really has more to do with other cars you've driven than it does the abilities of the car itself. I have friends who think my car is pretty fast but not many people on here (myself included) would label it more than a decently performing car.
Old 08-28-2005, 08:31 PM
Almost a Member!

SL55 AMG
IngenereAMG, there may be more bedroom walls plastered with Ferraris but there are just as many ****y Ferrari owners that know better than to challenge certain cars in the street because most often than not the Ferarris will get their *** handed to them. Hell, even the highly touted F430 runs a paltry 12.5 quarter mile and will get smoked by Vettes, Vipers, 911T and anything else making 400 HP or better. Ferrari guys in my area ride around like "Yea, I've got a Ferrari and you dont" but when I approach 'em at a light and ask em if they wanna put those lame motors to work they decline with the quickness and act as if they're on another level but I'd bring em back to reality real quick. As for you mixing in a few turns against the likes of a "Ricer" such as myself, when the road gets straight you'll lose sight of where I went because that straight six Supra motor will put the Horse to sleep in short order. Ferraris are ideal if you wanna impress the ladies and act as if you're fast but they'd be better served in the garage when it's time for battle. In terms of performance per dolllar spent Ferrari, Porsche, Mercedes and BMW are fashion statements, not performers...No offense, but you had it coming...

Last edited by Fast_SL55; 08-28-2005 at 08:38 PM.
Old 08-28-2005, 11:28 PM

2004 SL55 AMG
I agree with IngenereAMG. This thread is becoming ridiculous comparing SL55 acceleration to every other make/model out there with 100-200+ HP with 1000lbs+ less weight even. All wickedrsr asked was "Hi, I just bought my 2003 SL 55. I just wondered... is there something wrong with my car?" Obviously, bikes and highly modified sportcars and such are going to make the stock SL55 feel sedate especially those that don't isolate you as well with greater weight, sound proofing, thicker luxury materials, electronics and such. MB's design focus for the SL55 AMG alone dictates that it shouldn't feel like a Lotus Elise on full throttle (both close on the 0-60MPH clock). I, for one will say that the SL55 is quick though won't feel nearly as quick as cars which I know for a fact are slower in all respects down a straightline. Refinement and sophistication replaces neck-snapping drama and chassis reaction. That's the beauty of it.

Finally, the term "performance" isn't exclusive to strict straightline acceleration with the brainless throttle pedal. I think that more credit can be given to owners of Ferraris, Porsches, MBs, BMW, etc. for their decided choice of purchasing their performance vehicles more than the naive and all-encompassing focus to impress clueless ladies, otherwise, why do AMGs, Ms, TTs and higher level models even exist? Trust me, most shallow ladies impressed with a badge wouldn't have the discretionary care to hold a higher opinion on an SL600, SL55, SL65, SL500 or SL350, even if they were a 2003 vs. 2006. At least in LA, I'm sure they are more impressed with how much you spend on them, not the car.

Last edited by RU_MATRX; 08-28-2005 at 11:38 PM.
Old 08-29-2005, 04:36 AM

SL65 is the most powerfull roadster in the world. If u aren't impressed with it...damn...
Old 08-29-2005, 02:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

03 C32 AMG
IngenereAMG, there may be more bedroom walls plastered with Ferraris but there are just as many ****y Ferrari owners that know better than to challenge certain cars in the street because most often than not the Ferarris will get their *** handed to them. Hell, even the highly touted F430 runs a paltry 12.5 quarter mile and will get smoked by Vettes, Vipers, 911T and anything else making 400 HP or better. Ferrari guys in my area ride around like "Yea, I've got a Ferrari and you dont" but when I approach 'em at a light and ask em if they wanna put those lame motors to work they decline with the quickness and act as if they're on another level but I'd bring em back to reality real quick. As for you mixing in a few turns against the likes of a "Ricer" such as myself, when the road gets straight you'll lose sight of where I went because that straight six Supra motor will put the Horse to sleep in short order. Ferraris are ideal if you wanna impress the ladies and act as if you're fast but they'd be better served in the garage when it's time for battle. In terms of performance per dolllar spent Ferrari, Porsche, Mercedes and BMW are fashion statements, not performers...No offense, but you had it coming...
Please, the age old argument that an increase in price must equal a decrease in quarter mile times is lost on most people on this board. Everyone here knows that you can dump 20 grand into a civic hatch and make it run 9 second quarter miles, but do we all go out and do it? No. Does this make Ferrari/Lambo/MB/BMW owners rich snobs with a paltry knowledge of true automotive quality? No. You can run around in your supra all you want, the fact is, its a great car with loads of tuning capability and a proven performance record on the drag strip, but this in no way gives you the right to condescend to Ferrari's history of racing victories and automotive design. Its like calling someone a moron because they're drinking an expensive chianti while you stand in the corner stammering "you idiot you can get wasted faster on everclear". They serve different purposes entirely. Speed is part of the Ferrari package, true, and there your supra has it beat, but try comparing the history of Toyota to the history of Ferrari, then compare your Supra's interior to the F430s and you can see that Ferrari obviously had other things in mind than just speed when they made the thing.
Old 08-29-2005, 05:21 PM
Almost a Member!

SL55 AMG
l never meant to hijack this thread in the first place so I'll end the Ferrari vs. Supra garb here... Also, I never intended to reveal the fact that my intent for even building the Supra was to purposely kill the egos of Supercar owners so I'll keep those thoughts to myself from here on out. Getting back to the point of this thread, I think it started by Wickedrsr claiming that his SL 55 was feeling a little soft on the HP side of things and I agree. I do think that the SL 55 is a wonderful car anyway and I have absolutely zero regrets about my purchase.
Old 08-30-2005, 02:26 AM

2004 SL55 AMG
Fast_S55:

Just a final thought. I bet that you purchased your SL55 for similar reasons as most of us here and probably didn't want it to be just another expensive MB that gave you the same experience, fit/finish, technology, feel and image as your modified Supra Turbo.

Besides that, you can't generalize that egos of exotic car owners and such are all blustered by a modded Supra Turbo that is faster than theirs'. I've found that my friends, acquaintances and people who have expensive supercars or near could care less about being beat by others from a stoplight as their self-esteem, responsibilities and success are way beyond having a fragile ego so easily bruised by your generalization. If they run you, it's for fun and kicks and they'd probably tell me about it as an experience. Also, I've noticed that enthusiasts of these exotic calibre vehicles own many different vehicles and may very well own a 1000hp Viper TT if they care so much about straightline performance and bragging rights. Nothing wrong with that. Enjoy what you cherish but please be aware that a true enthusiast's ego or self-esteem does not solely come down to how their current ride measures up to a purposely-built, straightline-oriented drag car.

Last edited by RU_MATRX; 08-30-2005 at 02:34 AM.
Old 08-30-2005, 06:35 PM
Almost a Member!

SL55 AMG
Well said.
Old 09-22-2005, 08:52 PM

Received 42 Likes on 30 Posts
I don't believe anything on this thread. Some of these guys are obviously on drugs!

Last edited by skytop; 09-22-2005 at 09:04 PM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: SL55/63/65/R230 AMG: Got my SL55... now a quick Question