SL55 AMG, SL63 AMG, SL65 AMG (R230) 2002 - 2011 (2003 US for SL55 and 2004 for the SL65)

SL55/63/65/R230 AMG: Breaking news....new SL WITH SLR NOSE COMING

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-19-2005, 05:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SLK 230
Needs updating...

Hi,

I agree the design of the present SL is lovely however I do think the insides need to be updated. Nowadays Mercedes - especially at the SL price range are competing against more and more cars and so they need to keep improving. I have read about some of the electronic things that will be available for the new S e.g. infra red night vision, and I look forward to have a new SL in 3-4 years with lots of new toys. As for the outside...i am sure it can be improved a little - although the new SLK/SLR nose...i am still not sure...
Old 10-19-2005, 06:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
CLK63BS, SL55, G55, C43
Originally Posted by C43AMG
Just as I figured you would...you failed at being called out.Your "opinion" is one thing , facts are another.Sit on the sidelines please and comment only on facts you are qualified to speak about.
Take my word for it: The new C-Class will be more likely to have the SLR style nose than any 'new' SL. Perhaps something to retrofit on your C43?

Please move on, there is nothing to see here.
Old 10-19-2005, 11:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
SL55 AMG
The SL is essentially unchanged since it was first introduced in 2001 (MY 2002), so 2007 would be a sensible time to sharpen the design, move to the new engines and a few other minor changes to carry it through to the all new SL. The new S-Class, love it or hate it (hate it personally), hints at some of the stuff we'll find in the next SL.

The whole nose thing is meant to ape Mercedes-Benz involvement in Formula 1 which, as we know, has been pretty lack-lustre so why advertise your failures?

The SLR is also proof positive that you cannot design a super-car by committee, it needs flair and single-mindedness which is what the Enzo, Zonda and Carrera GT are all about. McLaren could have done it - as they did with the F1 - but Mercedes could not bear the compromises required to make the car special. Result? Disappointing sales and it's difficult to imagine Mercedes selling anywhere near the 3500 (7 years, 500/year) they planned. Even Porsche have seen fit to lower the Carrera GT production numbers to 1250 to make sure they can sell every one they make before the line shuts down next year and most people would say the Carrera GT is a more capable car than the SLR.
Old 10-21-2005, 09:26 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
00 MB ML55, 91 Toyota Supra Turbo(sold), 06 E500(gone), 03 BMW M3
Originally Posted by sprins
Take my word for it: The new C-Class will be more likely to have the SLR style nose than any 'new' SL. Perhaps something to retrofit on your C43?

Please move on, there is nothing to see here.
wow well that is as bout as worthless a statement as I have heard here on MBworld...

Its ok C43 let Sprins just babble on with his opinion.
Old 10-21-2005, 11:31 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLK63BS, SL55, G55, C43
Originally Posted by 55fanatic
wow well that is as bout as worthless a statement as I have heard here on MBworld...

Its ok C43 let Sprins just babble on with his opinion.
Well excuse me. My babbling is as much proof as that statement on Autospies. I don't know if you know anything about product development at Mercedes. The 'update' or 'facelift' that is underway for the SL will include new engines, and (as always with midlife facelifts @ Mercedes) minor cosmetic changes to exterior and/or interior that will limit to the plastic. No sheetmetal changes.

This facelift will come after some 5 years, and after that the car will last another 5 years (total SL lifetime will be around 10 years, not much less, maybe more). After having seen the direction of design (ML, S, CL spyshots) it will be highly unlikely we will see an SLR nose anywhere, except in C43s imagination.

So yes, this is my opinion. But I base it on more than some unconfirmed statement on a 'quality' site like Autospies.

Besides all this babbling, one glance at this thing is proof enough for me (and probably anyone with a wee bit of taste):

But then again, that *really* is just my opinion.
Old 10-21-2005, 11:37 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
98 Black C43 , 08' ML320 CDI ,11 E63
Well excuse me. My babbling is as much proof as that statement on Autospies. I don't know if you know anything about product development at Mercedes. The 'update' or 'facelift' that is underway for the SL will include new engines, and (as always with midlife facelifts @ Mercedes) minor cosmetic changes to exterior and/or interior that will limit to the plastic. No sheetmetal changes.

This facelift will come after some 5 years, and after that the car will last another 5 years (total SL lifetime will be around 10 years, not much less, maybe more). After having seen the direction of design (ML, S, CL spyshots) it will be highly unlikely we will see an SLR nose anywhere, except in C43s imagination.

So yes, this is my opinion. But I base it on more than some unconfirmed statement on a 'quality' site like Autospies.

Besides all this babbling, one glance at this thing is proof enough for me (and probably anyone with a wee bit of taste):

When you attend a MB Event and talk to someone ( AMG Northeast Rally 10/8 with Rob Allan - AMG Product Manager ) and he talks about a topic - its not imagination - its fact.Since you've been called on the carpet to provide "proof" of ANY statements you've made - and you haven't - then again for the 3rd time please sit on the sidelines and speak on topics that you are qualified to talk about.
Old 10-21-2005, 11:40 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
98 Black C43 , 08' ML320 CDI ,11 E63
[QUOTE=sprins]it will be highly unlikely we will see an SLR nose anywhere, except in C43s imagination.QUOTE]

So you're back-tracking on your "cold day in hell" statement. :v
Old 10-21-2005, 12:06 PM
Out Of Control!!

well now this response is a respectable one(thank you)...

But as C43 already stated When this question was brought up to Rob Allan, his response was that next spring we will NOT see an F1 style nose on the SL but in future(2 or 3 years) it is very probable you will see an SL with a front inspired by the current F1 nose(not the exact SLR/SLK) nose.
Old 10-21-2005, 12:08 PM
Out Of Control!!

the picture above is nothing more then a current SL with a SLR hood... Of course MB would certainly do more to integrate it in to the lines of the car
Old 10-21-2005, 03:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLK63BS, SL55, G55, C43
Originally Posted by C43AMG
...please sit on the sidelines and speak on topics that you are qualified to talk about.
What's with these sidelines you keep mentioning? Is that where you reside all the time? You talk a lot about it.

Anyway, we'll eventually see who's right, until then I stand by my statement: When hell freezes over. Say hello to Rob from me.
Old 10-21-2005, 07:06 PM

AMG
ok, the SL might have the SLR nose (might) but why the C class ? LOL
Old 10-22-2005, 12:26 AM
Out Of Control!!

Originally Posted by AMG&AMG
ok, the SL might have the SLR nose (might) but why the C class ? LOL
he cracked a joke, lol A sad one but a joke none the less
Old 10-23-2005, 01:46 PM

03' Carlsson SL55 (585HP)
http://www.performanceproducts4benz....od+With+Grille

another place to buy those hood. personally don't think it looks that good...
Old 10-28-2005, 06:27 AM

AMG
Originally Posted by ian55amg
Putting the SLKs hood on the Sl will hurt sales... Who wants to spend a 100k on car that looks like the cheap girls model?
...and this from a guy that buys an SL500 [/QUOTE]

iam55amg , you are the man ! nice non-fiction joke... LOL

Last edited by AMG&AMG; 10-28-2005 at 06:33 AM.
Old 10-28-2005, 11:14 AM

one has to realize they only made 4 new bodies in the past 50 years to the sl.. unlike the other models of benzes.. they seem to keep the sl body style out for longer than any other cars out there in the world.. averaging 12.5 years each body style..... so i wouldn't expect any major changes on the sl.. since it's only been out for 3 years now.. especially a new front end...
Old 10-28-2005, 11:20 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

S500/W220/2000
...Scratch-proof paint?
Old 10-28-2005, 04:49 PM

SL65/BENTLEY GT
Cool

Before seeing the picture, I would have guessed that the SLR nose would have looked better than the current one. The hood seems to take something away from the car. Maybe it's because the SLR is not as good looking as the SL although it is a completely superior vehicle with the exotic look.