SL55 AMG, SL63 AMG, SL65 AMG (R230) 2002 - 2011 (2003 US for SL55 and 2004 for the SL65)

SL55/63/65/R230 AMG: SL55PP vs SL65: Steering, handling and traction?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-07-2005, 10:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
By the way...I should've mentioned in my last post - the marginal difference in track times between the SL55 or SL65 are unlikely to result in any discernable difference in handling for the majority of drivers on this board.

So in summation, both cars have very similar performance, with the most noticeable difference being the acceleration of the SL65. With that said, choose whichever car fits you and what you want to pay.
Old 11-07-2005, 10:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
SL65, E55T, Pending S65
I try not to believe everything that journalist say, as many are better writers than drivers, but that is just me. If your friend the journalist spends a great deal of time on the track then he is entitled, as you, to your opinion.

The SL65 is about 1 second quicker in the 1/4 mile than a SL55, if you call that marginal then ok, I will take marginal.

I never said you couldn't "feel" the difference, I said the small additional weight wasn't noticable between the two. There are differences between the cars that one must get used to around power delivery and ESP programming.

"I have commented a couple of times on the topic of the SL65 being nose heavy. I traded a SL55 for my SL65, the small additional weight is not noticable. Even on the race track the weight is not an issue. As with any car on the track, once you get used to the handling chrs of the car you don't even notice the turbo power delivery."

It would appear that the concern is more the cost of the car and what you "get" for the extra money. I am quite satisfied with what I got for the premium over the SL55. It was worth every penny.

All I did was try and give an honest opinion about a car that I quite enjoy.

Take it or leave it....... I am done now.
Old 11-07-2005, 10:35 PM

Schiznick, sorry to make you feel like your advice wasn't valid...I was merely trying to point out that there were some statements made in this thread by a number of people that simply weren't true.

You make a very valid point about automotive journalists frequently lacking driving skills in comparison to their writing skills, but this particular guy is an exception. He has spent an extensive amount of time on tracks across Europe, including a great deal of time on the Nurburgring. Additionally, he has test driven more cars than I can count, including many, many "supercars." Often times he seems to be more of a test pilot than a journalist...I usually see a lot of lap times and pictures.

We both seem to be in agreement on one thing though, these cars are relatively similar in regards to performance, with the SL65 gaining a definitive edge in straight-line performance compared to a much more marginal advantage in handling held by the SL55. In the end, like you said, the buyer decides whether the SL65 "premium" is worth their money.
Old 11-07-2005, 11:31 PM

13 SL63
well if it means anything to anybody.. i would trade my 06 sl55 w/pp even across for an 06 sl65 im sure there will be no takers. i had the option to buy a new 05 sl65 for about 20k more (without the options i wanted though)but in MY case i thought the money i was spending was quite a godly amount already so i purchased the 55. they are both great cars. anybody able to drive/own one is a privileged soul. on the handling front i know that a simple tire swap ie pzero corsas for the oe bstone re050s would do alot for traction and cornering on either vehicle if thats what your looking for.
Old 11-08-2005, 04:09 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

mymbonline
any 1 in LA wanna go for a canyon run so that i can prove my point?
Old 11-08-2005, 01:24 PM

Bentley Arnage Red Label
Originally Posted by AMG_55

How will you be able to tell what is going on through all the dust? Next your going to tell me your car walks away from both on a tight road.
Old 11-08-2005, 01:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

mymbonline
Originally Posted by Juice it
How will you be able to tell what is going on through all the dust? Next your going to tell me your car walks away from both on a tight road.
what dust? what r u talkin about?
i
t does, if there are any volunteers, please dont hesitate, lets do this
through a tight road my weight advantage and the ability to use the power w/o spinning it away would make up for the power disadvantage, thats what i think, now can some1 help me prove it?

by the way a clk430 is a 208, my car is a 209
it would be compared to a 500
and no the 500 wont be faster b/
1. its not "tuned" by amg, its not a performance model, unlike sl55 amg and al65 amg
2. weight difference isnt that big b/
3. they are both v8's
we were talking about a v8 and a v12, thats a big difference
u should really think before u post, u say things that i would expect a 16 yr. old to be saying

and yes i have driven a sl55 and have been driven in a sl65
Old 11-08-2005, 02:09 PM

Bentley Arnage Red Label
what dust? what r u talkin about?
i
t does, if there are any volunteers, please dont hesitate, lets do this
through a tight road my weight advantage and the ability to use the power w/o spinning it away would make up for the power disadvantage, thats what i think, now can some1 help me prove it?

by the way a clk430 is a 208, my car is a 209
it would be compared to a 500
and no the 500 wont be faster b/
1. its not "tuned" by amg, its not a performance model, unlike sl55 amg and al65 amg
2. weight difference isnt that big b/
3. they are both v8's
we were talking about a v8 and a v12, thats a big difference
u should really think before u post, u say things that i would expect a 16 yr. old to be saying

and yes i have driven a sl55 and have been driven in a sl65

The dust that the SL55 and 65 leave you in while you are magazine racing in in your little clk. Now you are an expert on how the two drive because you got a ride in one. Thats brilliant. Go back to the "c" section and troll there.
Old 11-08-2005, 02:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

mymbonline
The dust that the SL55 and 65 leave you in while you are magazine racing in in your little clk. Now you are an expert on how the two drive because you got a ride in one. Thats brilliant. Go back to the "c" section and troll there.
an evo couldnt leave me in the dust on a cyn. road
and u expect a sl to do it
ur a funny guy
what exactly is magazine racing?
my little clk is bigger than ur sl, so what does that make make the sl?
im not an expert but i obviously know a lot more than u, go do some research
and get back to me

if given a choice between more power or less weight, where the end resulting hp/lb ratio would be the same
any1 that has any idea of how cars work and behave would go for less weight
less weight improves braking, handling and acceleration
more power only improves acceleration and top speed and not to mention hampers traction and puts more stress on the driveline, which in turn requires stronger and heavier parts

Go back to the "c" section and troll there.[/QUOTE]

im really making u that upset and disapointed cause im right?
u sound like a spoiled little kid :p

just to give me an idea of how u think:
pick ur favorite car from this list
f40
enzo
carrera gt
veyron
zonda f
mclaren f1
slr

Last edited by AMG_55; 11-08-2005 at 03:00 PM.
Old 11-08-2005, 04:02 PM

Bentley Arnage Red Label
if given a choice between more power or less weight, where the end resulting hp/lb ratio would be the same
any1 that has any idea of how cars work and behave would go for less weight
less weight improves braking, handling and acceleration
more power only improves acceleration and top speed and not to mention hampers traction and puts more stress on the driveline, which in turn requires stronger and heavier parts

just to give me an idea of how u think:
pick ur favorite car from this list
f40
enzo
carrera gt
veyron
zonda f
mclaren f1
slr[/QUOTE]

You are talking about 200lbs not 1000. There is also a point where extra power will overcome a small weight increase such as this. Not to mention better brakes, LS dif etc. The bottom line is neither of these cars are track cars. They are both great GT's and I have real world experience driving both and we have other owners here that have owned both. I think that gives us a better perspective than you have from your "he said,she said" second hand stories. I am done with this,your opinions mean nothing to me.
Old 11-08-2005, 05:28 PM

The bottom line is neither of these cars are track cars. They are both great GT's
You've hit the nail on the head there.

I have/had both '55 and now '65 and would do so again if given the choice. I didn't buy the '65 because of how it goes round a twisty track, I bought it due to the increased power, the noise from that great sounding V12 and the sheer grunt, the immense grunt, the thing has got with the luxury to boot.

In fact the main reason I traded to the ’65 was to break 200mph on the runway/airfield days I do with other petrol heads, and the '65 is MUCH better suited to this than my previous '55 which 'only' reached 180mph in the 2mile distance.

When it comes to twisty track days, I take my $5000 Nissan 300XZ twin turbo and have bucket loads of fun, more fun than I would in my '55 or '65. (and the fact it doesn’t matter so much if I hit a track barrier in the Nissan)

Different horses for courses at the end of the day.
Old 11-08-2005, 06:17 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2002 ML55, 2006 C6 Z06
How amusing, so much insight from people who have not even driven both cars!

P.S. For the ones with "expert opinions", I hope you don't run your mouth like this in real life. If you did, I bet your opinion goes quickly ignored. Get a clue and STFU.
Old 11-08-2005, 09:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

mymbonline
Originally Posted by RossN
How amusing, so much insight from people who have not even driven both cars!

P.S. For the ones with "expert opinions", I hope you don't run your mouth like this in real life. If you did, I bet your opinion goes quickly ignored. Get a clue and STFU.
no need to drive the car 2 know that the "same" car with less weight and better weight distribution will handle better

now go **** urself
Old 11-08-2005, 10:23 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2005 SL600, 2011 Honda Odyssey Touring Elite
Originally Posted by Maff
You've hit the nail on the head there.

I have/had both '55 and now '65 and would do so again if given the choice. I didn't buy the '65 because of how it goes round a twisty track, I bought it due to the increased power, the noise from that great sounding V12 and the sheer grunt, the immense grunt, the thing has got with the luxury to boot.

In fact the main reason I traded to the ’65 was to break 200mph on the runway/airfield days I do with other petrol heads, and the '65 is MUCH better suited to this than my previous '55 which 'only' reached 180mph in the 2mile distance.

When it comes to twisty track days, I take my $5000 Nissan 300XZ twin turbo and have bucket loads of fun, more fun than I would in my '55 or '65. (and the fact it doesn’t matter so much if I hit a track barrier in the Nissan)

Different horses for courses at the end of the day.
Wow. An MBworld Ambassador. How did you score that title?
Old 11-09-2005, 12:46 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Mercedes Benz
hehe

i have 5 bucks that there is a non amg W211 driver who could out cyn you through the santa monica mountains!

sound fun?
Old 11-09-2005, 02:19 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
SL55AMG, Ferrari 348, Ferrari Testarossa, Ferrari F40, Ferrari Mondial t, Ducati 916, Indycar
no need to drive the car 2 know that the "same" car with less weight and better weight distribution will handle better

now go **** urself
I wish that I still lived in Beverly Hills. I would have loved to had some canyon fun.........but of course I would have abused you.

If you had ever been abused by an F40 on Topanga, Malibu, Sunset or Mulhuland...........that would have been moi!
Old 11-09-2005, 05:16 AM

'10 MB E63, '08 ML550 ('05 E55, '05 SL55, '08 E63 GONE)
Originally Posted by IngenereAMG
If you had ever been abused by an F40 on Topanga, Malibu, Sunset or Mulhuland... that would have been moi!
That was YOU? You *******...

~ Ian
Old 11-09-2005, 11:23 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
SL55AMG, Ferrari 348, Ferrari Testarossa, Ferrari F40, Ferrari Mondial t, Ducati 916, Indycar
Originally Posted by IanSL55
That was YOU? You *******...

~ Ian
I haven't lived in BH for a few years.....but when I was there I did a fair amout of abusing of canyon roads!
Old 11-09-2005, 01:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

mymbonline
Originally Posted by CynCarvin32
hehe

i have 5 bucks that there is a non amg W211 driver who could out cyn you through the santa monica mountains!

sound fun?
ill out run a w211 amg, my mom has 1, it handles like ****
im down lets go
make it 20 bucks, just for fun

i ran an evo on mulholland and he couldnt shake me, a porsche turbo on sunset that i beat and a 360 on sunset that i passed around the outside,
among many others
Old 11-09-2005, 01:21 PM

Bentley Arnage Red Label
im down lets go

i ran an evo on mulholland and he couldnt shake me, a porsche turbo on sunset that i beat and a 360 on sunset that i passed around the outside,
among many others

So now your heavy car is faster than porsche turbos and ferraris. Maybe they didn't know you were racing them.
Old 11-09-2005, 02:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

mymbonline
So now your heavy car is faster than porsche turbos and ferraris. Maybe they didn't know you were racing them.
im just a better driver and have bigger *****, it wasnt down to the car, i never said my car is faster than those cars.
believe u me they did know and they learned their lesson
Old 11-09-2005, 04:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Mercedes Benz
im just a better driver and have bigger *****, it wasnt down to the car, i never said my car is faster than those cars.
believe u me they did know and they learned their lesson
but what would happen if a blue E320 dusted you?

would you be so ****y then?

Old 11-09-2005, 04:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Mercedes Benz
im down lets go

among many others
with all due respect a C240 can pull over an EVO

those evo guys in the hills could not find there butts with both hands.

I watched one in front of me run right off the road on turn #1. He pulled over and pooped his pants after that. He was fine so i went of to chasea down the other two evo's who were slightly more skilled.

you raced on sunset? thats risky stuff!
Old 11-09-2005, 04:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

mymbonline
but what would happen if a blue E320 dusted you?

would you be so ****y then?

it wouldsnt. no stock mercedes driven by any1 through any canyon road that im familiar with did, would, will......

spell the word out please, i dont feel like playin jeopardy right now
Old 11-09-2005, 04:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

mymbonline
with all due respect a C240 can pull over an EVO

those evo guys in the hills could not find there butts with both hands.

I watched one in front of me run right off the road on turn #1. He pulled over and pooped his pants after that. He was fine so i went of to chasea down the other two evo's who were slightly more skilled.

you raced on sunset? thats risky stuff!
this guy was very good.
i have never driven that fast on that part of mull. b4. maybe in my e36 m3 (yoko a032r, h&r racing springs and few other engine mods) but not in any benz.

i race any1 any where. unless its not worth it b/c i know their car isnt capable (old jap cars and new cars less powerful/capable cars. u know, sedans, suv's and such).
and if its a drag race, i dont always do it cause there is no point, i have nothing to do w/ it, just floor the pedal, kinda pointless. maybe 85% :p i will

i love racing bikes on sunset, on wed. nites

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 1.00 average.

Quick Reply: SL55/63/65/R230 AMG: SL55PP vs SL65: Steering, handling and traction?