SL55 AMG, SL63 AMG, SL65 AMG (R230) 2002 - 2011 (2003 US for SL55 and 2004 for the SL65)

SL55/63/65/R230 AMG: SL55PP vs SL65: Steering, handling and traction?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-09-2005, 04:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
mymbonline
Originally Posted by Juice it
if given a choice between more power or less weight, where the end resulting hp/lb ratio would be the same
any1 that has any idea of how cars work and behave would go for less weight
less weight improves braking, handling and acceleration
more power only improves acceleration and top speed and not to mention hampers traction and puts more stress on the driveline, which in turn requires stronger and heavier parts

just to give me an idea of how u think:
pick ur favorite car from this list
f40
enzo
carrera gt
veyron
zonda f
mclaren f1
slr

You are talking about 200lbs not 1000. There is also a point where extra power will overcome a small weight increase such as this. Not to mention better brakes, LS dif etc. The bottom line is neither of these cars are track cars. They are both great GT's and I have real world experience driving both and we have other owners here that have owned both. I think that gives us a better perspective than you have from your "he said,she said" second hand stories. I am done with this,your opinions mean nothing to me.[/QUOTE]

u mean nothing 2 me
obviously my opinions did mean something to u...... u did respond
Old 11-11-2005, 12:36 AM
Almost a Member!

2005 E320 Platinum Blue/Ash, Appearance Pkg, Premium Pkg
Originally Posted by AMG_55
ill out run a w211 amg, my mom has 1, it handles like ****
im down lets go
make it 20 bucks, just for fun

i ran an evo on mulholland and he couldnt shake me, a porsche turbo on sunset that i beat and a 360 on sunset that i passed around the outside,
among many others
Ok, I must come on board the discussion Actros (MBZ for truck) at this point. The W211 handles like what now? News to me. News to the automotive world. How, may I ask, do you get the notion that a finely balanced AirMatic equipped (or non airmatic equipped for that matter) state of the art is a poor handling vehicle? Do you drive a Porsche 911 or something? I may see where you get the idea if you drove a 911.

I am gonna be fresh now. Let us say we take a Brabus Mercedes-Benz Sprinter 118" wb 2500 versus your CLK55 AMG. Does anyone have a Brabus or equivalent Sprinter? Come on now someone must have one!

All joking aside since the W211 is designed to a higher level of sophistication and performance that must mean a W209 handles like something worse than you suggest. Unless I have my chassis wrong isn't a CLK just a heavy pillarless C-Class? Oh, I thought so.

PS, how's that camber? Oh wait, MBZ forgot to engineer that into a C. Sorry, maybe you have to get some plates if you haven't already.
Old 11-11-2005, 12:39 AM
Almost a Member!

I say take the average weight male designed to drive an SL55 and add 200lbs to him. Then put him in the SL65, and solve your handling problems. This will balance the weight much better.

READ SL65, for the heavy-set I have more money than I know what to do with so I eat and eat.

SL55 for the rest of us.

So the SL55 is better for normal people, SL65 for the heavy.

Nice talking to you thanks.
Old 11-11-2005, 01:27 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

mymbonline
Originally Posted by barw211e320
Ok, I must come on board the discussion Actros (MBZ for truck) at this point. The W211 handles like what now? News to me. News to the automotive world. How, may I ask, do you get the notion that a finely balanced AirMatic equipped (or non airmatic equipped for that matter) state of the art is a poor handling vehicle? Do you drive a Porsche 911 or something? I may see where you get the idea if you drove a 911.

I am gonna be fresh now. Let us say we take a Brabus Mercedes-Benz Sprinter 118" wb 2500 versus your CLK55 AMG. Does anyone have a Brabus or equivalent Sprinter? Come on now someone must have one!

All joking aside since the W211 is designed to a higher level of sophistication and performance that must mean a W209 handles like something worse than you suggest. Unless I have my chassis wrong isn't a CLK just a heavy pillarless C-Class? Oh, I thought so.

PS, how's that camber? Oh wait, MBZ forgot to engineer that into a C. Sorry, maybe you have to get some plates if you haven't already.
my exact point, airmatic,( u do know that brabus took airmatic off its ev12 cause it couldnt handle the speed, dont u?)
if it had abc then it would be much better.
the car doesnt communicate to the driver nearly as well as my clk, the steering is too heavy off center and doesnt get much better after turn in, there is 2 much weight over the front wheels and i dont even want to start on the brakes. bottom line, my car is much more enjoyable to drive, i couldve got an e55 but i didnt, its just not a car that communicates w/ the driver and asks 2 be driven. im not saying my clk is a sports car, but its much better than an e55 in that respect. my next car is goin to be a cayman s or a z06 (the list changes daily :p) . i can only compare my moms 211 e55 to my clk cause i havent driven any other e class hard.
Old 11-11-2005, 01:28 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

mymbonline
by the way i do need camber plates and u need a supercharger or a v8
Old 11-11-2005, 03:12 PM
Almost a Member!

my exact point, airmatic,( u do know that brabus took airmatic off its ev12 cause it couldnt handle the speed, dont u?)
the car doesnt communicate to the driver nearly as well as my clk, the steering is too heavy off center and doesnt get much better after turn in, there is 2 much weight over the front wheels and i dont even want to start on the brakes. bottom line, my car is much more enjoyable to drive, i couldve got an e55 but i didnt, its just not a car that communicates w/ the driver and asks 2 be driven. im not saying my clk is a sports car, but its much better than an e55 in that respect. my next car is goin to be a cayman s or a z06 (the list changes daily :p) . i can only compare my moms 211 e55 to my clk cause i havent driven any other e class hard.
Ok, I can live with that. The C-s do feel better than the E-s and as far as actual driving goes that would be what is important. I still would not say it handles poorly, I would just say it feels poorly. I know I need a blower, 3.46 rear end with LSD, and some other go fast stuff. Actually I want an E420CDI. Oh well, not in this country.
Old 11-15-2005, 06:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Mercedes Benz
so when is the race?

5 bucks on the W211

this could be fun! Time to think about which car to bring to watch the fun!
Old 11-15-2005, 06:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Mercedes Benz
it wouldsnt. no stock mercedes driven by any1 through any canyon road that im familiar with did, would, will......

spell the word out please, i dont feel like playin jeopardy right now
for the new people to the forum, the fourm automatically edits out bad words and inserts the *** designation to keep the flow going but without showing the real word.

the word i was looking to use c o c k y
Old 11-15-2005, 06:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Mercedes Benz
good luck finding camber plates!

have a look at the strut tower. you will see the upper spring perch does not allow such items. Also there is no normal 3 bolt design for the upper mount and this prevents the use of any camber plate. You would have to redesign the whole upper mount and bearing to do so. Tried that a long time ago... big pain in the butt... just buy new tires every 3 months instead!
Old 11-16-2005, 12:00 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Mercedes Benz

Yes the took out AirMatic. But that was due to the fact that the car had downforce at speed and the system was not designed to deal with that kind of stress. When it comes to performance driving an AirMatic car will take any bump and elevation change seen in the santa monica mountains in stride while a standard spring and shock car will begin to bottom and pogo.

having spent 2 years in a C32 picking off sports cars in the canyons I can say the W203 and W209 are slobs unless you spend upwards of 10-15k on chassis mods. Black painted bling blings need not apply here.

Let plan a day to meet and see what happens... have the route all planned out. Covers just about everything the canyons can throw at us.

Good luck to all
Old 11-16-2005, 05:07 AM

Mercedes-Benz A170 CDI
umm, the original thread starter just vanished, I think its safe to say this thread is over, unless we want to turn this thread into a juvenile debate, "I know better than you" in that case lets go ahead.
Old 11-16-2005, 12:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

mymbonline
Originally Posted by CynCarvin32
Yes the took out AirMatic. But that was due to the fact that the car had downforce at speed and the system was not designed to deal with that kind of stress. When it comes to performance driving an AirMatic car will take any bump and elevation change seen in the santa monica mountains in stride while a standard spring and shock car will begin to bottom and pogo.

having spent 2 years in a C32 picking off sports cars in the canyons I can say the W203 and W209 are slobs unless you spend upwards of 10-15k on chassis mods. Black painted bling blings need not apply here.

Let plan a day to meet and see what happens... have the route all planned out. Covers just about everything the canyons can throw at us.

Good luck to all
y dont u come out on dec.4
we are going to have a cyn. run b4 the toys 4 tots meeting
check in event gatherings
if u cant, then im down 2 meet up some other time

by the way, i dont like airmatic, maybe its just me
and brabus took it off not only b/c of the doqnforce but also b/c it couldnt respond quick enough at high speeds