SL55 AMG, SL63 AMG, SL65 AMG (R230) 2002 - 2011 (2003 US for SL55 and 2004 for the SL65)

SL55/63/65/R230 AMG: Kleemann Questions

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-19-2005, 12:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Kleemann Questions

I have the Kleemann Supercharger so I should know the answers already - but... does anyone know if the HP figures are accurate? It claims 525 HP with the ECU upgrade. Let me tell you why I ask. First I have the charger installed and the HP figures seem generous. WHen I first got the charger installed it was alot faster than the stock SL500 (obv.) but certainly didn't feel like 525 - now wait. The car wasn't even broken in yet so I gave it a chance. I was humiliated by my brothers Viper - it was sad that was the first beating - next was an ancient 911 which off the line sounded normal but the ungodly roar of turbo blow off valves still rings in my head - next was the worst of all - ready... A Dodge Neon SRT - I could not catch this guy it was ridiculous - I wanted to tie a chain around the car and use it as an anchor. I was on a mission from there - I wrote Kleemann and started asking question - like WTF is going on here? Well they had an immediate answer - seems like some of the kits were shipped with the wrong pulley - the car was only making 4lbs of boost. This really pissed me off because - the answer to the question was immediate which means they knew about it and just basically kept it a secret. Flash forward - new pulley - new car - woah - since then - I have smoked all sorts of cars - including a CL55 and an SL55 - at about 120 in both cases I passed both like they were in reverse. IS this possible - how can the 500 engine make more HP than the 55 engine when the 55 engine stock makes more HP and the blower setups are basically the same? Is it the gearing of the 7 speed tranny? I mean I'm glad of course - but I just don't get it. The only other mod to the engine is the Brabus 4 pipe - which I don't think does anything for HP. BTW the only time I was trounced since was after HOT IMPort nights A.C. when the show was over hundreds of us descended on the Garden State - it was awesome - we did over 100 the whole way - anyway a Lexus SC 400 passed me at like 140 like I was standing still - what the hell was in that thing?
Old 11-19-2005, 06:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
CLK63BS, SL55, G55, C43
how can the 500 engine make more HP than the 55 engine when the 55 engine stock makes more HP and the blower setups are basically the same?
My guess is the AMG 55 + blower setup is pretty a conservative setup for such an engine, mainly for reliability and durability reasons, and 500Hp also seemed like a nice round nº I suppose. With Kleemann or Carlsson tuning and some budget I believe the 55 kompressor engine can be tuned to deliver 620+ Hp. Perhaps the setup you have is already pretty much maxed out, and the 7-speed transmission probably also helps.
Old 11-19-2005, 06:47 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Lexus
Not sure on the kleeman ? but the SC 400 you saw probably was actually a 300 with a turbo kit.. Check this website and see if this is who passed you. www.turbolexus.com

Last I heard he dynoed at 765hp and that was 3or 4 years ago!!
There are even more of these around now, easy supra turbo engine swap and bam you have a 11 second car.
The 400's don't have as much potential as the 300's. Don't sleep on the IS300's that are turboed, same deal Supra power on tap.
Old 11-19-2005, 07:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
300ce
IS this possible - how can the 500 engine make more HP than the 55 engine when the 55 engine stock makes more HP and the blower setups are basically the same?
.............the mercedes V8K's have lower compression pistons with compression ratio of 9:1 and are running 14psi of boost. Your SL500 probably has 10:1 compression and with the Kleemann s/c it is somewhere at 8lbs of boost. So the two set ups are not exactly the same.

...........as to the loss of power you experienced before. I know I sound like a nag, but time and time again, I see this happen. YOU MUST HAVE YOUR CAR DYNOED BEFORE AND AFTER EACH ENGINE MOD. Otherwise, you have no idea what is going on. Yes, I know for certain that Kleemann is aware that some of their s/c's do not make the expected HP. In mine, the fix was the use of a smaller s/c pulley. I am not saying they are dishonest, since getting a before and after dyno will identify the problem.

Ted
Old 11-19-2005, 10:41 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
06' Clk 500 Cabriolet, 01' CL 55, 00' Clk 430
Originally Posted by GAME OVER
A Dodge Neon SRT - I could not catch this guy it was ridiculous - I wanted to tie a chain around the car and use it as an anchor. I was on a mission from there
Lol.....don't they do a before and after dyno? I'm sure they did. But why then Kleemann didn't find out the wrong pulley was installed base on the rwhp gain? Well, **** happen !!!
Old 11-23-2005, 09:37 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 164 Likes on 132 Posts
R129 SL55 AMG & W208 CLK55 AMG
Originally Posted by Ted Baldwin
.............the mercedes V8K's have lower compression pistons with compression ratio of 9:1 and are running 14psi of boost. Your SL500 probably has 10:1 compression and with the Kleemann s/c it is somewhere at 8lbs of boost. So the two set ups are not exactly the same.

...........as to the loss of power you experienced before. I know I sound like a nag, but time and time again, I see this happen. YOU MUST HAVE YOUR CAR DYNOED BEFORE AND AFTER EACH ENGINE MOD. Otherwise, you have no idea what is going on. Yes, I know for certain that Kleemann is aware that some of their s/c's do not make the expected HP. In mine, the fix was the use of a smaller s/c pulley. I am not saying they are dishonest, since getting a before and after dyno will identify the problem.

Ted
Thank You!

You just opened a whole new range of flood gates for me.

Question: Could wrong pullies cause overheating, power retard and limp mode?