SL55 AMG, SL63 AMG, SL65 AMG (R230) 2002 - 2011 (2003 US for SL55 and 2004 for the SL65)

SL55/63/65/R230 AMG: I just bought an SL55....pictures and a question

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-21-2005, 11:55 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2007 Porsche 997 GT3
Thumbs up I just bought an SL55....pictures and a question

Hello all,

I'd like to introduce myself. My name is Dan and I live in Columbia,SC. I just recently purchased an SL55 and absolutely love it.

I'm an avid sports car enthusiast and have owned a few other performance cars such an M3 convertible, XJR, and a couple of NSX's. However, nothing I had owned prepared me for this beast! Wow! I still get a big thrill every time I press down on that accelerator and feel my heart leap up to my throat.

My car is a 2004 - black, with the dark grey burl wood interior. It sits on 20" Lowenhart LSR's. It came with the rear spoiler, and I just recently had the windows tinted. Here are a few shots:

As you can see from these pictures, she desperately needs to be lowered. I emailed Steve mbenzNL to see if he could help. I was surprised to hear back from him that he couldn't lower the SL55 with his computer. He said I would need to resort to "lowering the car by using different shocks and such".

So.....my first question to you folks: How did all of you lower your SL55's?

Regards,

Dan

Last edited by docdan; 11-21-2005 at 12:03 PM.
Old 11-21-2005, 01:41 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
none
Congrats on the ride Dan, looks nice with the wheels..

Options for lowering are modules and links. Modules that interface with the ABC are offered by Kleeman, Carlsson, Eibach, and Brabus.

I tried the Eibach, and it didnt work as advertised. Most people seem to like the Carlsson box, it offers adjustability at all four corners. The carlsson box also allows the car to be returned to stock with a simple plug. The other boxes will require soldering back the connections to the ABC if you remove the module.
I have also heard good things about the Kleeman box.... Expect to pay 1500-2000 installed for any of these modules..

The other option is lowering links.. The links replace the factory ones and "fool" the abc box into thinking the car is too high, in turn the car lowers itself. I know several people that have used the links and havent had any problems. You want to be careful and not drop the car to low since at speed above 80MPH the car lowers itself. The nice thing about the links is there is no cutting of the factory wiring harness, and they are cheap ($200-$300).
Old 11-21-2005, 02:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

W215 CL600
Beautiful! I'll still get that feeling in my stomach after all the TQ kicks in!
Old 11-21-2005, 02:32 PM

2007 Porsche 997 GT3
Originally Posted by lorinserbenz

The other option is lowering links.. The links replace the factory ones and "fool" the abc box into thinking the car is too high, in turn the car lowers itself. I know several people that have used the links and havent had any problems. You want to be careful and not drop the car to low since at speed above 80MPH the car lowers itself. The nice thing about the links is there is no cutting of the factory wiring harness, and they are cheap ($200-$300).

Thanks for the replies. lorinserbenz, could you tell me more about the lowering links:
Specifically, where can I buy these?
are they difficult to install?,
will they dramatically alter the comfort level of the ride?

sorry for all the questions, but my car is currently at the shop, and we're trying to figure out the best way to lower my car.
Old 11-21-2005, 05:30 PM

none
Dan
You can get links from Eurorev or Wheelsboutique, they sell them online and on ebay.
Ride stays the same, since the car is just adjusting the ride height since it thinks its higher than it should be.

Someone will chime in that links are bad..yadda yadda. Indeed both the links and the modules are cause to void the suspension warranty.
But I think the links are safer because if the suspension fails you can put the stock links back in and no one is wise to what you did. Installing the modules requires hacking up the ABC harness. Which would be a nightmare to return to to an untouched appearance in the event of suspension failure.
Old 11-21-2005, 07:00 PM

'10 MB E63, '08 ML550 ('05 E55, '05 SL55, '08 E63 GONE)
I have the Carlsson lowering unit. Only good things to say about it.

BTW: Gorgeous sled!

~ Ian
Old 11-21-2005, 07:25 PM

2007 Porsche 997 GT3
Okay. I came up with a solution to the lowering question.

I spoke with Nash in service from Atlanta Classic Cars. They are an authorized Brabus retailer as well as MB dealership. He told me that they have installed several of the different modules....Carlsson, Brabus etc...

He recommended that they use Stardiagnostics computer to change the voltage on the ABC sensors to adjust the height. He told me they are very experienced at doing this and it will not void the warranty since they are a dealership.

Price for the lowering is $505. For me, this sounds like the winning plan- cheapest solution executed by a Mercedes Dealership without any "official" mods to the car to avoid warranty issues.

Sounds like a good deal.... however, it still makes me wonder why Steve MBenzNL didn't think it could be lowered with the the computer. Hmmmm....
Old 11-21-2005, 11:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
SL55AMG, Ferrari 348, Ferrari Testarossa, Ferrari F40, Ferrari Mondial t, Ducati 916, Indycar
SpeedtuningUSA also has a lowering module. Oliver has told me that it is a simple 'plug and play' deal. So, unplugging it when going to the dealer will return it to normal and avoid warranty issues. He quoted me $400-$500, but I can't remember exactly.
Old 11-22-2005, 12:37 AM
ON PROBATION

Have the stealership do it. "Cleanest" solution, and you're not going to beat that price with a lowering module!
Old 11-22-2005, 10:32 AM

SL55AMG
Originally Posted by ClayJ
Have the stealership do it. "Cleanest" solution, and you're not going to beat that price with a lowering module!
The star diagnostic solution will allow for a maximum drop of 10 - 12 mm before the car starts throwing codes. Not sure that's low enough to get what you want. Some shops will simply relocate the sensors to go lower... a potentially dangerous move. The car still wants to lower itself again at roughly 80 mph and then again at approx. 125. Well written software in a module takes this into consideration and keeps the car from lowering too much in higher speed situations. I had good luck with the Brabus. Others swear by the Kleeman.

If you do decide to initially go the diagnostic route and then later change your mind, do be aware you'll have to pay to raise the car back to stock height before using any of the modules, or you will end up with a ride height that's too low. (And the car will throw suspension error codes).

Good luck!
Old 11-23-2005, 04:29 PM

2007 Porsche 997 GT3
Originally Posted by SLVRSL55
The star diagnostic solution will allow for a maximum drop of 10 - 12 mm before the car starts throwing codes. Not sure that's low enough to get what you want. Some shops will simply relocate the sensors to go lower... a potentially dangerous move. The car still wants to lower itself again at roughly 80 mph and then again at approx. 125. Well written software in a module takes this into consideration and keeps the car from lowering too much in higher speed situations. I had good luck with the Brabus. Others swear by the Kleeman.

If you do decide to initially go the diagnostic route and then later change your mind, do be aware you'll have to pay to raise the car back to stock height before using any of the modules, or you will end up with a ride height that's too low. (And the car will throw suspension error codes).

Good luck!

Thanks for the heads up. This particular dealership is also a Brabus dealership. They told me they would drop it about 1 inch in the front, and 7/8" inch in the back. However, they failed to tell me about any error codes associated with the star diagnostics drop.

What I think I'll have them them do, is, to assure me that the 1" drop won't cause error codes. IF it does cause error codes, they should raise it back to stock at no charge and then install a Brabus module. They had already quoted me: Brabus module $1650 plus shipping,
labor $ 202. Does this sound about right to you?

I haven't taken my car to Atlanta Classic Cars yet to have this job done. Currently my ride is at MB1 motoring having an Alpine Navigation system integrated into my Mercedes video monitor. Thanks for the advice.

Last edited by docdan; 11-23-2005 at 11:44 PM.
Old 11-23-2005, 07:34 PM
ON PROBATION

I do know three guys that have done the Brabus route: all of their cars look great, and none of them have had any subsequent problems that I know of. Remaining question - is it worth $1700 to you?
Old 11-24-2005, 08:10 AM

2003 porsche 996tt Ruf, 2005 SL55 Renntech
Any of the lowering modules that are plug and play that you can install yourself? i like the idea that if you sell or have a problem you can just unplug
Old 11-24-2005, 12:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
CLK63BS, SL55, G55, C43
Read this for more info on lowering modules: https://mbworld.org/forums/showthrea...light=lowering
Old 11-25-2005, 05:48 PM

none
Originally Posted by docdan
Thanks for the heads up. This particular dealership is also a Brabus dealership. They told me they would drop it about 1 inch in the front, and 7/8" inch in the back. However, they failed to tell me about any error codes associated with the star diagnostics drop.

What I think I'll have them them do, is, to assure me that the 1" drop won't cause error codes. IF it does cause error codes, they should raise it back to stock at no charge and then install a Brabus module. They had already quoted me: Brabus module $1650 plus shipping,
labor $ 202. Does this sound about right to you?

I haven't taken my car to Atlanta Classic Cars yet to have this job done. Currently my ride is at MB1 motoring having an Alpine Navigation system integrated into my Mercedes video monitor. Thanks for the advice.
Let the dealer lower it... who cares if it throws a code ( 99% chance it won't), they will clear it if it does. Seems like your dealer is cool about lowering so you have won half the battle.
Old 11-25-2005, 06:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
CLK63BS, SL55, G55, C43
Originally Posted by lorinserbenz
Let the dealer lower it... who cares if it throws a code
That's an interesting way of lookig at it...
Old 11-29-2005, 09:59 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
W221
Welcome to the boards...
Old 12-02-2005, 02:19 AM

Welcome.
Congratulations on your SL55.
XJR 100...nice 4 door choice!
I am a sucker for the 98-03 body of XJR.
Old 12-02-2005, 08:20 AM

2007 Porsche 997 GT3
Thanks for the welcomes and all the compliments on the rides. Appreciate that!

I'm pretty excited. Today I get my baby delivered back to me. She's been in Atlanta for the last two weeks getting some small customizations (Navigation, satellite radio, hardwired radar) done as well as getting lowered.

I'll post pictures of my lowered car as soon as I get a chance.

P.S. -SSpray: Yeah, the XJR100 has been an awesome car for me. I bought it brand new in 2002 and it's been great. It's actually for sale right now...if you're interested, do a search on autotrader.com...it's listed there.
Old 12-02-2005, 01:33 PM

Originally Posted by docdan
Thanks for the welcomes and all the compliments on the rides. Appreciate that!

I'm pretty excited. Today I get my baby delivered back to me. She's been in Atlanta for the last two weeks getting some small customizations (Navigation, satellite radio, hardwired radar) done as well as getting lowered.

I'll post pictures of my lowered car as soon as I get a chance.

P.S. -SSpray: Yeah, the XJR100 has been an awesome car for me. I bought it brand new in 2002 and it's been great. It's actually for sale right now...if you're interested, do a search on autotrader.com...it's listed there.

Thanks for the info.
I used to have a XJR, great car, but I already have a couple of supercharged and turbocharged other 4 doors

Looking forward to seeing completed pictures of your SL.
Old 12-10-2005, 09:19 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2003 SL55 AMG, 2001 S430
Very nice car, and I really like the way those rims look with it. Colubmia eh, not too far from me.
Old 12-12-2005, 05:19 PM

Hey......great pics! I just love those wheels, very hot looking! Congrads!
Old 12-12-2005, 08:42 PM

2007 Porsche 997 GT3
Thanks for all the compliments. The funny thing about the rims, is, in my opinion they don't photograph that well (or maybe its the photographer). At any rate, they definitely look much better in real life.

I have posted pictures of my lowered car in this new thread:

https://mbworld.org/forums/sl55-amg-sl63-amg-sl65-amg-r230/129828-best-way-i-found-lower-my-sl55-before-after-pictures.html