SL55 AMG, SL63 AMG, SL65 AMG (R230) 2002 - 2011 (2003 US for SL55 and 2004 for the SL65)

SL55/63/65/R230 AMG: Car Audio for SL55

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-11-2009, 07:53 PM
BMS
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 152 Likes on 109 Posts
2018 C63 Sedan
When this thread was started a few years ago I was asking about Reuss and did indeed hook up with them. They sent a rep to the Detroit area and installed their system in my SL55. Even though I lost a little trunk space it's been worth every dollar. Couldn't say enough about how well I like the system for relatively low dollars. A friend of mine just had his Corvette done and the rep came to his house for the install. He loves it also.
Old 02-11-2009, 08:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
'03 SL55
Originally Posted by BMS
When this thread was started a few years ago I was asking about Reuss and did indeed hook up with them. They sent a rep to the Detroit area and installed their system in my SL55. Even though I lost a little trunk space it's been worth every dollar. Couldn't say enough about how well I like the system for relatively low dollars. A friend of mine just had his Corvette done and the rep came to his house for the install. He loves it also.
+1. I've heard the Reuss system in Mike's car and it's noticeably better than the OEM system in my car.
Old 02-12-2009, 12:16 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SL 500
How much does it cost?
Old 02-12-2009, 04:35 AM

'10 MB E63, '08 ML550 ('05 E55, '05 SL55, '08 E63 GONE)
Originally Posted by sound 8
It's a complete waste of money spending a fortune on an expensive sound system for a car, the one it comes with will be perfectly adequate.
Unless your going to listen to it at standstill.
A typical level of around 70 db of noise is experienced at 70mph, this will
be significantly more with the roof down.
You will also get low frequency cancellations from exhaust and road noise.
At high speed you wont tell the difference. My S Class has a Bose system,
and because the car is double glazed and well damped the sound is OK up to
around 90mph. But here is a test, drive at 90mph with your sound system
at a nice level, leave the controls and stop, you wont believe how loud
and how much more bass you will get at standstill.
Take your S-CLASS and cut your speakers from 14 down to 4, then move them down into the footwells where the SL's are...

You won't believe how crappy the sound is...

My Reus System is worth every penny.

~ Ian
Old 02-12-2009, 07:31 AM

2005 SL55 AMG, 1986 Porsche 930S, 1996 Porsche 993tt
Originally Posted by Rick SL55
I did call today and they will call me back for more information(they haven't call me yet).
I will have to call them again today for more info & prices, they haven't call me back.
Old 02-12-2009, 11:17 AM

S600
The Rues system is a great add on. I am selling my full setup for the SL55 out of my car which is pictured above. It would basically all be drop in that most shops can handle on the install.
Old 02-12-2009, 02:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
SL 63 W/B AMG , S600,C220
Originally Posted by IanSL55
Take your S-CLASS and cut your speakers from 14 down to 4, then move them down into the footwells where the SL's are...

You won't believe how crappy the sound is...

My Reus System is worth every penny.

~ Ian
No one has seemed to get my drift, it does not matter how good your system is it has to overcome background noise.By moving the tweeters more to ear level on a SL55 will give you more high frequency information, but as most background noise is low frequency there is nothing you can do to improve it.
The Bose system in the SL55 has adequate power to play at high levels, but all your doing is competing with background noise, especially with the top down. I should know, I am a recording engineer. And if you play at a level
to overcome background noise you may well be damaging your hearing.
The difference between the S Class and the SL55 is the fact that background noise is much lower, not the fact that it has more speakers.
Old 02-12-2009, 02:49 PM

SL500
No one has seemed to get my drift, it does not matter how good your system is it has to overcome background noise.By moving the tweeters more to ear level on a SL55 will give you more high frequency information, but as most background noise is low frequency there is nothing you can do to improve it.
The Bose system in the SL55 has adequate power to play at high levels, but all your doing is competing with background noise, especially with the top down. I should know, I am a recording engineer. And if you play at a level
The difference between the S Class and the SL55 is the fact that background noise is much lower, not the fact that it has more speakers.
I guess i'm not catching your drift at all. The stock sound system is muddy, crappy sound that swims around in your lap. Yes, it's adequate in volume but that's not the point. The point is that the music sounds dull and lifeless. I speak from experience that the sound in a convertible, with the top down, can be made to sound like it has life to it, without damaging your hearing. Any reasonably-priced mod that accomplishes that is not a waste of money.
Old 02-12-2009, 02:53 PM

SL500
Originally Posted by POURCTYSBKON
How much does it cost?
I got a quote on the phone yesterday from Rick Reus for $3,160 plus tax installed.
Old 02-12-2009, 06:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by mikeinsf
I guess i'm not catching your drift at all. The stock sound system is muddy, crappy sound that swims around in your lap. Yes, it's adequate in volume but that's not the point. The point is that the music sounds dull and lifeless. I speak from experience that the sound in a convertible, with the top down, can be made to sound like it has life to it, without damaging your hearing. Any reasonably-priced mod that accomplishes that is not a waste of money.
No you certainly are not.
Let me put it this way, you have a million pound painting, and next to it you have a not so good copy.

In the light it's obvious which one you prefer, but as you turn the light down until it's nearly dark the difference becomes invisible.
We are not talking volume here, were talking frequency response, and at standstill you will appreciate your expensive system sound QUALITY.
But at speed the background noise will do nasty things to your frequency
response. Would you spend 50 grand on a high end system for your lounge,
and have a car reving it;s engine while your listening.
I think you now get my drift,
Old 02-12-2009, 06:45 PM

SL500
No you certainly are not.
Let me put it this way, you have a million pound painting, and next to it you have a not so good copy.

In the light it's obvious which one you prefer, but as you turn the light down until it's nearly dark the difference becomes invisible.
We are not talking volume here, were talking frequency response, and at standstill you will appreciate your expensive system sound QUALITY.
But at speed the background noise will do nasty things to your frequency
response. Would you spend 50 grand on a high end system for your lounge,
and have a car reving it;s engine while your listening.
I think you now get my drift,
Ok yes, I do understand everything you're trying to get across re: road noise trashing frequencies at higher speeds. I just don't agree with you that attempting to upgrade the very poor sound quality of the stock system is a waste of money. All across the range from standstill to highway speeds, the system would sound much better (based on feedback from other owners) with a 3k Reus upgrade. Personally, I consider this money well spent. If it makes me want to actually turn my stereo on, then great. The 15k mods other people are have talked about, those are a different story, that's money wasted. As far as my ear is concerned, the stock stereo isn't even up to a baseline level of what I'd consider acceptable.
Old 02-12-2009, 08:13 PM

Originally Posted by Infamous Jiggs
The Rues system is a great add on. I am selling my full setup for the SL55 out of my car which is pictured above. It would basically all be drop in that most shops can handle on the install.

Email me more information, what's included, pictures and price.
Old 02-13-2009, 03:19 AM

I would also say that the stock system is competing with the footwells and inferior sound quality... Are you saying that speaker placement and quality doesn't matter?

If you take superior audio and subject it to background noise, and compare it to inferior/distorted audio and subject that to the same exact background noise, will the sound clarity be the same?

~ Ian
Old 02-13-2009, 08:49 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by IanSL55
I would also say that the stock system is competing with the footwells and inferior sound quality... Are you saying that speaker placement and quality doesn't matter?

If you take superior audio and subject it to background noise, and compare it to inferior/distorted audio and subject that to the same exact background noise, will the sound clarity be the same?

~ Ian
Hi, by moving the tweeters up to the screen pillars it will give you more
detail even at higher speeds, however as I said most car noise is caused by low frequency noise from tyres, wind noise, exhaust etc and improving the bass quality will not be noticeable when traveling at speed. I am talking quality not output, you can increase low frequency output but because
you will get phase cancellation and additions it will not be noticeable.
Remember I am talking quality, not quantity. Home audio is quite different
from car audio. recording studios are built to stop outside noise getting in.
Car audio is design to be impressive rather than accurate, and obviously
by exaggerating bass and high frequencies it stands a chance of overcoming
some of the background noise. What I am saying is the standard Bose has
adequate power to overcome background noise, but it's quality will suffer
the faster you go, that would happen to a much more expensive system
as well, apart from some extra HF info. That's why I wouldn't spend a lot
of money on a car audio system.
Old 02-13-2009, 08:56 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Ok yes, I do understand everything you're trying to get across re: road noise trashing frequencies at higher speeds. I just don't agree with you that attempting to upgrade the very poor sound quality of the stock system is a waste of money. All across the range from standstill to highway speeds, the system would sound much better (based on feedback from other owners) with a 3k Reus upgrade. Personally, I consider this money well spent. If it makes me want to actually turn my stereo on, then great. The 15k mods other people are have talked about, those are a different story, that's money wasted. As far as my ear is concerned, the stock stereo isn't even up to a baseline level of what I'd consider acceptable.
I also do not agree that the Bose system has very poor sound quality,
actually it's very good, particularly at standstill and low speeds, it's only
adequate at high speeds (the quality that is) because of background noise!
Old 02-13-2009, 12:36 PM

SL500
I also do not agree that the Bose system has very poor sound quality, actually it's very good, particularly at standstill and low speeds, it's only adequate at high speeds (the quality that is) because of background noise!
The BMW Z3 convertible I sold to buy this car had a much, much better sounding system. These are the ways in which is was better than the Bose system in the SL:
- more punchy bass
- clear and delineated lows, mids and highs
- more representation of the highs
- sound "stage" felt more at chest/neck level

I spent a fair amount of time upgrading the system, actually "replacing" is a better word. The only thing of the stock system that remained when I was done was the tweeters in the doors up by the side mirrors.

After I was done, this system consisted of:
- Kenwood's 2nd-to-top head unit
- Upgraded footwell drivers to MB Quart
- Boston Acoustics component speakers to replace the stock ones behind the seats
- Boston Acoustics crossovers to channel the frequencies
- 8" Boston Acoustics sub driver in a custom enclosure I built to fit into the center console behind the seats and replace the stock "sub"
- MTX amp to drive the sub
- Kenwood 4-channel amp to drive the other speakers

This system completely trashed the sound of the SL system, period. Compared to it, the SL's system is indeed poor.

I don't understand why one would try to convince others what they're hearing is gravy when it's not, regardless of whether one earns a living as a recording engineer. Speaking from experience, if you install a decent sub in the car, cross more of the lows into that, manage to lift the sound up above your knees, and get the highs represented, you WILL get a better sounding system, whether at a standstill or on the highway. I'm not trying to tell people what they're hearing is total crap, but much better can certainly be had.

I'm about to pull the trigger on a Reus system based on what I've read in these forums. The only people I've read who trash it are those who don't have one. In the BMW it was much easier to rip everything out and start from scratch, so the component list above made sense. In the case of the SL a more careful approach is necessary because I don't want to go messing with the COMAND unit, so I'm stuck with the audio signals it generates. Seems the Reus system will deliver the sound I want without tearing up my car. It seems those who have the system are very happy. So we'll see.

Last edited by mikeinsf; 02-13-2009 at 02:08 PM.
Old 02-13-2009, 02:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

The BMW Z3 convertible I sold to buy this car had a much, much better sounding system. These are the ways in which is was better than the Bose system in the SL:
- more punchy bass
- clear and delineated lows, mids and highs
- more representation of the highs
- sound "stage" felt more at chest/neck level

I spent a fair amount of time upgrading the system, actually "replacing" is a better word. The only thing of the stock system that remained when I was done was the tweeters in the doors up by the side mirrors.

After I was done, this system consisted of:
- Kenwood's 2nd-to-top head unit
- Upgraded footwell drivers to MB Quart
- Boston Acoustics component speakers to replace the stock ones behind the seats
- Boston Acoustics crossovers to channel the frequencies
- 8" Boston Acoustics sub driver in a custom enclosure I built to fit into the center console behind the seats and replace the stock "sub"
- MTX amp to drive the sub
- Kenwood 4-channel amp to drive the other speakers

This system completely trashed the sound of the SL system, period. Compared to it, the SL's system is indeed poor.

I don't understand why one would try to convince others what they're hearing is gravy when it's not, regardless of whether one earns a living as a recording engineer. Speaking from experience, if you install a decent sub in the car, cross more of the lows into that, manage to lift the sound up above your knees, and get the highs represented, you WILL get a better sounding system, whether at a standstill or on the highway. I'm not trying to tell people what they're hearing is total crap, but much better can certainly be had.

I'm about to pull the trigger on a Reus system based on what I've read in these forums. The only people I've read who trash it are those who don't have one. In the BMW it was much easier to rip everything out and start from scratch, so the component list above made sense. In the case of the SL a more careful approach is necessary because I don't want to go messing with the COMAND unit, so I'm stuck with the audio signals it generates. Seems the Reus system will deliver the sound I want without tearing up my car. It seems those who have the system are very happy. So we'll see.
Hi , I am not trying to trash an expensive car audio system, if you want it go get it, and when you play it to friends I am sure you will do it with the engine off and the car parked. And I am sure it will impress them, all I was trying to point out is sure you will get a better sound, but with speed the difference will become less noticeable.
Good luck and I hope you enjoy it.
Old 02-13-2009, 02:36 PM

SL500
Hi , I am not trying to trash an expensive car audio system, if you want it go get it, and when you play it to friends I am sure you will do it with the engine off and the car parked. And I am sure it will impress them, all I was trying to point out is sure you will get a better sound, but with speed the difference will become less noticeable.
Good luck and I hope you enjoy it.
But that misses the point. This statement reduces it down to how well you're able to get attention in parking lots and at intersections. It's SO not why I'd advocate upgrading a sound system. It's not to impress my or anyone else's friends. It's to ~feel~ the music better. And by "feel" I don't mean sub-bass that pisses everyone off. I mean sound that has character and isn't muddled like the stock system.

As you very correctly describe, the advantages will diminish somewhat once on the highway with the top down. That doesn't mean they go away. You'll still end up with much better sound than stock, at any speed.

Last edited by mikeinsf; 02-13-2009 at 02:39 PM.
Old 02-14-2009, 05:54 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

But that misses the point. This statement reduces it down to how well you're able to get attention in parking lots and at intersections. It's SO not why I'd advocate upgrading a sound system. It's not to impress my or anyone else's friends. It's to ~feel~ the music better. And by "feel" I don't mean sub-bass that pisses everyone off. I mean sound that has character and isn't muddled like the stock system.

As you very correctly describe, the advantages will diminish somewhat once on the highway with the top down. That doesn't mean they go away. You'll still end up with much better sound than stock, at any speed.
As I said, you will hear a better system, but as you said it will diminish
once on the highway, that's the only reason that would put me off buying an
expensive system.I'm glad your buying it for you, and not for demonstrating to all the world. Just a thought, have you ever tried adjusting your current sound system, mine has quite a lot of options.
Old 02-15-2009, 10:40 AM

SL55 AMG
the Bose system is fine 9 speakers and set to the open roof setting is plenty good enough a full sound top/bottom IMO,yes you can get better but as said no point unless you are in to drive by's LOL
Old 02-15-2009, 04:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by bosch man
the Bose system is fine 9 speakers and set to the open roof setting is plenty good enough a full sound top/bottom IMO,yes you can get better but as said no point unless you are in to drive by's LOL
Yes you got it, actually the Bose system in my SL55 at standstill is I think is better than my other cars, it also holds up quiet well at speed, I guess they have given it some more oomf to overcome background noise.
Old 02-17-2009, 09:01 PM

Spoke today with Rick Reus for the Reus Audio upgrade for my SL55.
Well I just gave the deposit for the Reus Audio system, yes they will fly to Puerto Rico for the installation.
Will keep you posted.
Old 02-18-2009, 03:08 AM

Spoke today with Rick Reus for the Reus Audio upgrade for my SL55.
Well I just gave the deposit for the Reus Audio system, yes they will fly to Puerto Rico for the installation.
Will keep you posted.
You won't regret it Rick... night and day difference.

~ Ian
Old 05-03-2009, 01:38 PM

S-550
Any updated apart from Reus Audio to upgrade the stereo system?.
I had email Reus Audio, but waiting for more info, however don't think is an alternative to my, because they will not come to PR.
Hey Rick I am in Maryland and I talked to Cliff from Reus systems and he stated to me that he would be coming my way to install my system in about 3weeks and then going to PR maybe you can get done then, I have been waiting since December.
Old 05-03-2009, 09:30 PM

Originally Posted by rrobin
Hey Rick I am in Maryland and I talked to Cliff from Reus systems and he stated to me that he would be coming my way to install my system in about 3weeks and then going to PR maybe you can get done then, I have been waiting since December.
Robin
I spoke with Cliff last week and told me the same story/details.
I did place the order the first week of February 2009.
He did email me the tracking number of the parts to be installed.
Hope to get the system installed already.
Let's stay in touch.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: SL55/63/65/R230 AMG: Car Audio for SL55