SL55 AMG, SL63 AMG, SL65 AMG (R230) 2002 - 2011 (2003 US for SL55 and 2004 for the SL65)

SL55/63/65/R230 AMG: Depreciation on SL cars???

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-08-2006, 06:27 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
SL55 AMG
Well, Tony, you and I should be braced for big falls in 911 prices when the 997 turbo comes out...
Old 01-08-2006, 09:01 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
300ce
...........I have to say that being of a different mind set, I am often suprised about the number of threads on car depriciation. Everyone knows that cars are not investments, so no need for me to emphasize the obvious. You should view a car the way you view a nice dinner at good restaurant. Once the dinner is served to you, it is worth nothing after that. It is worth even less after you have eaten it. It comes out the other end as feaces which is really worth nothing. Does this mean that people should styop going to dinner? Of course not. You derive enjoyement from it and the food you eat helps nourish your body. You buy a car and enjoy it and derive fun and satisfaction from it. Defending your brand of car as having greater residual value as the other is like two people leaving a restaurant and arguing about who's feaces will be worth more in the future. Maybe the guy who ate the stake will win but both feaces are pretty worthless.

Ted
Old 01-08-2006, 09:48 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
SL55 AMG
Gosh Ted, I'm in total awe of your knowledge of the workings of the human body. The things I never knew...

I'd advise against eating stakes though. They're normally made of wood or iron and your knowledge of digestion should have told they're difficult to process. Steaks are a different matter...
Old 01-08-2006, 10:02 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

300ce
Originally Posted by blueSL
Gosh Ted, I'm in total awe of your knowledge of the workings of the human body. The things I never knew...

I'd advise against eating stakes though. They're normally made of wood or iron and your knowledge of digestion should have told they're difficult to process. Steaks are a different matter...
...........I eeer may not be a real doctor, but I play one on MBWORLD.

Ted
Old 01-08-2006, 10:11 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
'13 SL550
Originally Posted by Ted Baldwin
...........I have to say that being of a different mind set, I am often suprised about the number of threads on car depriciation. Everyone knows that cars are not investments, so no need for me to emphasize the obvious. You should view a car the way you view a nice dinner at good restaurant. Once the dinner is served to you, it is worth nothing after that. It is worth even less after you have eaten it. It comes out the other end as feaces which is really worth nothing. Does this mean that people should styop going to dinner? Of course not. You derive enjoyement from it and the food you eat helps nourish your body. You buy a car and enjoy it and derive fun and satisfaction from it. Defending your brand of car as having greater residual value as the other is like two people leaving a restaurant and arguing about who's feaces will be worth more in the future. Maybe the guy who ate the stake will win but both feaces are pretty worthless.

Ted
I never knew "feaces" came from "stake."
Old 01-08-2006, 10:27 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
02 E55

Ted
Exactly!!! The depreciation talk is always so funny!!!
You will ALWAYS loose money on the car, unless you are a delaer. Even if you are, you will sometimes loose money.
If you buy a new car - you will loose A LOT.
If you buy used car (2-3 yo. is optimal) you will loose less.

There is a way however, I do it like that, usually works.
I go and find me a car at the auction, I buy it, drive it for 6m to a year and then sell it for the same price I bought it. So I'm loosing only on insurance and maint.
If you do it any other way, and if you going to finance it - you will be loosing money, that's a given!
Old 01-08-2006, 11:45 AM

SL65/BENTLEY GT
Cool

Originally Posted by mainroman
Exactly!!! The depreciation talk is always so funny!!!
You will ALWAYS loose money on the car, unless you are a delaer. Even if you are, you will sometimes loose money.
If you buy a new car - you will loose A LOT.
If you buy used car (2-3 yo. is optimal) you will loose less.

There is a way however, I do it like that, usually works.
I go and find me a car at the auction, I buy it, drive it for 6m to a year and then sell it for the same price I bought it. So I'm loosing only on insurance and maint.
If you do it any other way, and if you going to finance it - you will be loosing money, that's a given!

LOL. Sounds good to me. Everyone has an option. Save every penny that you make, become a billionaire, and die. Then look down from heaven, or up from hell, and watch your kids and grand kids by their upscale cars as their inherentence depreciates.
Old 01-08-2006, 02:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

300ce
Originally Posted by BigHat
I never knew "feaces" came from "stake."

...............LOL! its probably little dangerous to swallow a "stake" and let it come out of your bottom. Steaks more easily swallowed and digested.

Ted
Old 01-08-2006, 04:51 PM

'13 SL550
...............LOL! its probably little dangerous to swallow a "stake" and let it come out of your bottom. Steaks more easily swallowed and digested.

Ted
Yes, and steaks make feces not feaces.

We need a spell checker around here.
Old 01-08-2006, 06:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

300ce
Yes, and steaks make feces not feaces.

We need a spell checker around here.

.............i get Your point, but I dont agree. Okay..........I get your point but I don't agree. This is an informal internet forum. Good spelling and good grammar are useful, but this is probably the worst place to spearhead such a movement.

Ted
Old 01-08-2006, 06:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
CLK63BS, SL55, G55, C43
Perhaps stakes make feaces whereas steaks make feces?
Old 01-08-2006, 07:14 PM

'13 SL550
.............i get Your point, but I dont agree. Okay..........I get your point but I don't agree. This is an informal internet forum. Good spelling and good grammar are useful, but this is probably the worst place to spearhead such a movement.

Ted
I agree it's no biggie, but it simply amazes me at times how poorly people spell around here. It's on a site discussing $100K+ cars.

Don't take it personally. I didn't mean to pick on you and I'm sorry.
Old 01-08-2006, 07:56 PM

SL65/BENTLEY GT
Cool

I agree it's no biggie, but it simply amazes me at times how poorly people spell around here. It's on a site discussing $100K+ cars.

LOL. You guys are funny. Stay away from simple sentences.
Old 01-08-2006, 10:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

300ce

............not taking it personal at all. If spelling errors were not common, word processing programs will not have spell checkers. Your association between $100K cars and good spelling is one you may wish to reconsider. Most english language teachers don't have the income to be in the market for $100K cars, while most rock stars do. Attempts at outward indications of class or education one tries potray by the car one drives or discusses is worse than making spelling errors. Unfortunately such attempts permeate this forum. Well, everyone has their cause to champion.

Ted