SL55 AMG, SL63 AMG, SL65 AMG (R230) 2002 - 2011 (2003 US for SL55 and 2004 for the SL65)

SL55/63/65/R230 AMG: SL55 ECU and Pulley Upgrade Results

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-22-2006, 09:34 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
04 575, 04 Cayenne Turbo, just bught SL55
I overnighted my ECU to Oliver yesterday and I am doing the pulley as well. I am hoping I will be as pleaseed as some of you have been.
The following users liked this post:
Gene Gorman (04-12-2018)
Old 03-03-2006, 10:16 AM

My car was donce last Friday.

Oliver told me it would take about 2 to 300 miles before the programming sets in but I can tell this much right away, the car has changed. I have spent alot of money over the years moded cars and very felt so much of a difference for the money spent. I did the ECU and the pully (the pully made a bigger difference than I thought it would), and I am very pleased.
Old 03-03-2006, 01:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Any updates on this ... what were the final numbers?

thanks,
Crowley
Old 03-22-2006, 08:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
E320CDI, CLK55, and a Smart
I'm curious what the final numbers were too.
Old 03-23-2006, 09:10 AM

I have not had the car checked yet. There seems to be a jerking going from 2nd to 3rd that I need to talk to Oliver about. Oliver told me it takes a few hundred miles before everything settles in. I am going to call him today.
Old 03-23-2006, 04:07 PM

C63 AMG (stock right now), Beach Cruiser (debadged), Piper Cherokee 280 (too much to mention)
refund?

Originally Posted by Carnut
I have not had the car checked yet. There seems to be a jerking going from 2nd to 3rd that I need to talk to Oliver about. Oliver told me it takes a few hundred miles before everything settles in. I am going to call him today.

sounds like this program SUCKS!! It is maybe a program designed for Europe or high octane fuel?...

Does Speed Tuning offer you a Money Back Guarantee? once I heard that evosport gives u a 2 week trial, I could hardley refuse
Old 03-31-2006, 06:23 PM
JR.

fast cars and faster motorcycles ..
Carnut,
so what happened regarding the jerking and the discussion with oliver.. ? we are still waiting to hear..

IngenereAMG,
specifically, what motor mods have you performed. no pulley?

OCAMG,
latest thoughts??

thanks,

JR
Old 03-31-2006, 08:36 PM

Bentley Arnage Red Label
I don't get why an ecu mod would take a few hundred miles to kick in. It seems to me that since it is a computer parameter change it should be instantaneous. Anyone know the answer to this?
Old 04-01-2006, 02:14 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
SL55AMG, Ferrari 348, Ferrari Testarossa, Ferrari F40, Ferrari Mondial t, Ducati 916, Indycar
Originally Posted by JR.
Carnut,

IngenereAMG,
specifically, what motor mods have you performed. no pulley?

OCAMG,
latest thoughts??

thanks,

JR
The only mod I have is Speedtuning's ECU flash. It has been great...performance improved.........no speed limiter. The last thing these car's need is more power. I did it to get rid of the 155 limit.
Old 04-01-2006, 10:01 AM

E55 AMG, 911 Turbo, Mini Coper S Cab.
ECU upgrade?

Having a ECU upgraded will void the warranty? i have a '03 SL55 that was CPO by MB. please advice

Thanks!
Old 04-01-2006, 07:10 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by quimna
Having a ECU upgraded will void the warranty? i have a '03 SL55 that was CPO by MB. please advice

Thanks!
Yes it will void the warranty on the ECU or any part directly influenced by it.

But if your rim breaks in half due to a manufacturing defect, I think you'll be okay The dealership has to prove that the modification resulted in the part failure.
Old 04-01-2006, 09:28 PM
JR.

IngenereAMG,

besides removing the speedlimiter, did the speedtuning ecu flash make any difference to the drivability (fun) of the car..?..
Old 04-01-2006, 09:30 PM
JR.

IngenereAMG,

also, (i forgot) where did you come up with the 550 hp and torque figures?
Old 04-03-2006, 10:05 AM

I'm afraid I have not heard back from Oliver, left him a message with my cell number. After what I read here this was not what I exppected. The bucking only occurs when I am in manual mode and pushing the car hard (which is the way I drive it unless my wife is in the car) and I am not pleased with this at all. The car is more responsive, but I'd rather have it the way it was than with the bucking I am getting now. If any of you know Oliver, please ask if to call me back. Even though all I do all day is count my trust fund money I can loose count if I have to think about this bucking to much.
Old 04-03-2006, 10:44 AM

CLK 55
tune

Sounds like you are getting fuel shut-off as the ECU is goofy. I assume you are not getting this at High RPM? If you are, are you bouncing off the RPM rev limiter?

I tuned once and we raised the RPM rev limiter, but infact it lowered it. Once you hit the RPM rev limiter the ECU shuts the fuel off.

It could be a million things.
Old 04-03-2006, 01:18 PM

Not at high revs, thought about the fuel shut off, but I would think that would happen even if I was not in manual mode.

QUOTE=gregc]Sounds like you are getting fuel shut-off as the ECU is goofy. I assume you are not getting this at High RPM? If you are, are you bouncing off the RPM rev limiter?

I tuned once and we raised the RPM rev limiter, but infact it lowered it. Once you hit the RPM rev limiter the ECU shuts the fuel off.

It could be a million things.[/QUOTE]
Old 09-15-2006, 07:22 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts
2020 S560,14 ml350, 03 sl55, silver, pano, slr cams, evo headers, lsd, 2019 s63 cab.
any updates about the running of the pulley and ecu work?
Old 09-15-2006, 09:21 AM

'06 M5
Carnut, I'm sad to hear about your experience. I just wish you would have searched this forum for feedback on Speedtuningusa and Oliver.

I've posted a few times about my experience and Oliver's lack of ability to deliver any type of tune for an AMG car.

You bought a SL55 AMG...don't skimp. Oliver's tunes don't work. Go with Kleemann or Renntech.

Please search this forum and you'll know what I'm talking about.

Regards,

Darren
Old 09-15-2006, 02:04 PM

SL55 AMG Black on Berry Red
where can i go in the Los Angeles area to get this ECU upgrade and pulley work done? how much will it cost?
Old 09-15-2006, 02:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
R35 GT-R, EvoX
I did an ECU upgrade for my CLK500 from SpeedTuning. No problems, more torque, no speed limiter. My tranny was always a little jerky, but its been getting worse. I don't know if it is because of the ECU or not, I just think the 7gtronic isn't the toughest and most solid tranny.

Ingenere, thats amazing that you were able to hit that speed. It shows that AMG has truely made an amazing performance vehicle.
The following users liked this post:
defsailor (02-08-2017)
Old 09-18-2006, 06:30 AM

2003 SL500, 2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited
Originally Posted by Juice it
I don't get why an ecu mod would take a few hundred miles to kick in. It seems to me that since it is a computer parameter change it should be instantaneous. Anyone know the answer to this?

Abstract from www.evosport.com / www.powerchipgroup.com

http://www.powerchipgroup.com/faq/fa...tion.asp?id=75

Q: Is the Powerchip effective as soon as it is installed, or does it take time to 'learn'?

A: Almost all late model (post 1996) European cars are fitted with either Bosch Motronic or Siemens electronic control units. These ECU's are the most sophisticated in the world.

These control units must conform to the government regulations for OBDII diagnostics. Part of the regulations require that the car measures the feedback from the air fuel ratio's using the oxygen sensors. The values as a result of the feedback are then stored in maps called 'long term fuel trim' and 'short term fuel trim'. These results are held in 'volatile' memory, and are lost when the software or chip is changed, or when power to the ECU is lost when the battery is drained or disconnected.

In addition to the fuel values above, the ignition is also monitored by the ECU, and the car has the ability to 'adapt' to changes in fuel quality by building a 'maximum allowable' ignition advance. Again, this data is stored in maps that are 'zeroed' back to neutral when the car is programmed with new software or the battery is disconnected.

In addition, the idle speed is also adaptive. The car stores the values to make idle speed adjustments in a map. Again, this information is lost when the software is installed.

The values that are stored in these maps take time to build, and they need to build these maps over different loads, and different RPM's. In the case of the idle maps, it requires both cold starts and hot starts to build.

Maximum power will not be achieved until the ignition and fuel maps are 'rebuilt' from driving, and this generally takes at least 5 hours of varied driving.

Cars that have significant modifications will require more time to learn, and will improve in performance after the car has fully adapted. Examples of modifications that have a significant effect on adaptation are modified air intakes and sports exhausts, especially headers and extractors.

//

George

++
Old 05-19-2017, 12:03 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
00 cl500 turbo 03 e500turbo w203_63 w203 m271sc/turbo
Originally Posted by detailas
Abstract from www.evosport.com / www.powerchipgroup.com

http://www.powerchipgroup.com/faq/fa...tion.asp?id=75

Q: Is the Powerchip effective as soon as it is installed, or does it take time to 'learn'?

A: Almost all late model (post 1996) European cars are fitted with either Bosch Motronic or Siemens electronic control units. These ECU's are the most sophisticated in the world.

These control units must conform to the government regulations for OBDII diagnostics. Part of the regulations require that the car measures the feedback from the air fuel ratio's using the oxygen sensors. The values as a result of the feedback are then stored in maps called 'long term fuel trim' and 'short term fuel trim'. These results are held in 'volatile' memory, and are lost when the software or chip is changed, or when power to the ECU is lost when the battery is drained or disconnected.

In addition to the fuel values above, the ignition is also monitored by the ECU, and the car has the ability to 'adapt' to changes in fuel quality by building a 'maximum allowable' ignition advance. Again, this data is stored in maps that are 'zeroed' back to neutral when the car is programmed with new software or the battery is disconnected.

In addition, the idle speed is also adaptive. The car stores the values to make idle speed adjustments in a map. Again, this information is lost when the software is installed.

The values that are stored in these maps take time to build, and they need to build these maps over different loads, and different RPM's. In the case of the idle maps, it requires both cold starts and hot starts to build.

Maximum power will not be achieved until the ignition and fuel maps are 'rebuilt' from driving, and this generally takes at least 5 hours of varied driving.

Cars that have significant modifications will require more time to learn, and will improve in performance after the car has fully adapted. Examples of modifications that have a significant effect on adaptation are modified air intakes and sports exhausts, especially headers and extractors.

//

George
I have an 03 that I was going 13.2 all last week and then I got a set of mikey s and went straight in the 12s like 12.40 at 114mph and then I gotba eurocharged ECU flash and a pully just 1step smaller from stock just adds 2psi went 12.00 and 116mph on a very hot day 100 degrees so I know I can go in the 11s on a cool night I have video just ask I will show the world

++
Old 05-19-2017, 08:02 PM

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts
2006 E55, 2006 SL55, 2006 LS7 Ute
My 2006 E55 has ONLY an 84mm pulley and tune from EC. The stock 100-160km time is 5.0 sec. My E55 now does this interval in 4.5sec. Huge difference in feel, tires break loose very easily now. Only good for a run or two before heat soak slows things down considerably. For every day use this is the best performance gain for the money.
Old 07-06-2017, 07:37 AM

2003 S 55 AMG
McGeezer

Originally Posted by lkirchner
What modifications did you have done?

Thanks
What Mods did YOU do to get such terrific results?
Thanks, M.