SL55 AMG, SL63 AMG, SL65 AMG (R230) 2002 - 2011 (2003 US for SL55 and 2004 for the SL65)

SL55/63/65/R230 AMG: Retrofitting Pedalshift AMG steering wheel

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-19-2006, 10:21 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
-
Retrofitting Pedalshift AMG steering wheel

Is it possible to retrofit the pedal steering wheel onto a SL600? (And reprogram the transmission computer to SL65 to activate)
Old 02-19-2006, 04:00 PM

2004 SL55, 2005 E500 Wagon
Pedal?

The only pedal-shift transmissions I know about are on motorcycles. If you mean paddle, the SL55/65s use little buttons on the back of the steering wheel, not paddles like Ferarri or BMW.

All the little buttons on the back of the steering wheel do is exactly the same thing as pushing the console shifter to the right or the left. If you had a service person who was comfortable messing with the wiring harnesses, you could fool the transmission into thinking that, when you pressed a wheel button, you were moving the console shift lever.

Jim
Old 02-19-2006, 05:37 PM

-
Originally Posted by CASL55
The only pedal-shift transmissions I know about are on motorcycles. If you mean paddle, the SL55/65s use little buttons on the back of the steering wheel, not paddles like Ferarri or BMW.

All the little buttons on the back of the steering wheel do is exactly the same thing as pushing the console shifter to the right or the left. If you had a service person who was comfortable messing with the wiring harnesses, you could fool the transmission into thinking that, when you pressed a wheel button, you were moving the console shift lever.

Jim
Latest 55's have pedals for shifting instead of the buttons.

My car is a 2004 600, so it does not have anything behind the steering wheel.

I wanted to know that *if* you swapped the steering wheels with an AMG steering, and reflashed the transmission ECU; would that allow the buttons/pedals to work?
Old 02-19-2006, 05:43 PM

Originally Posted by Auraraptor
Latest 55's have pedals for shifting instead of the buttons.
You work pedals with your feet. That's why they're called pedals (relating to a foot or footlike part.). You sure you don't mean paddles?

I would expect the new paddles work electrically like the old buttons, though I'm not 100% sure.

Jim
Old 02-19-2006, 06:05 PM

-
You work pedals with your feet. That's why they're called pedals (relating to a foot or footlike part.). You sure you don't mean paddles?
Jim
Yea, paddles, my bad.

I would expect the new paddles work electrically like the old buttons, though I'm not 100% sure.

Jim
Me too, but I wanted to make sure by talking to anyone who has:

1. Retrofited the shift button equipped steering wheel on a car without the shift buttons

2. Retrofitted the shift button equipped steering wheel with the paddle based steering wheel

If 1 and 2 both work without a big problem (lots of custom wiring and splicing) I would like to get it in my car.
Old 02-19-2006, 06:56 PM

2003 CL55 Kompressor Horizon Blue Metallic
I'm interested in this as well ... I haven't had much luck in finding a wiring diagram for the AMG steering wheels relative to non-AMG's, but my thought is that it should be possible. And I would go a step further and say that it "shouldn't be hard", once the right technicians got hold of the right wiring diagram. I would not be surprised if one were to find out that the connectors and wiring harness already have provisions for the shift buttons.

I believe the new 2006 SL sport package for the SL500 and SL600 includes the shift buttons on the wheel?

Short story long ... what I would like to get after my CL55 lease runs out is a CL600 Sport with steering wheel shift buttons plus ECU/TCU upgrades.

Last edited by mclarenm8d; 02-19-2006 at 06:59 PM.
Old 02-19-2006, 07:29 PM

If 1 and 2 both work without a big problem...I would like to get it in my car.
Do the new paddles turn with the wheel, or are they fixed in place? If they are fixed, they'd probably be better for a person who uses shuffle steering, but worse for someone who uses the Bondurant/Donohue crossover technique.

Jim
Old 02-20-2006, 01:24 AM
Almost a Member!

SL-55PP
Yea, paddles, my bad.

Me too, but I wanted to make sure by talking to anyone who has:

1. Retrofited the shift button equipped steering wheel on a car without the shift buttons

2. Retrofitted the shift button equipped steering wheel with the paddle based steering wheel

If 1 and 2 both work without a big problem (lots of custom wiring and splicing) I would like to get it in my car.
Check Keleemann or Brabus out, they might have one!