SL55 AMG, SL63 AMG, SL65 AMG (R230) 2002 - 2011 (2003 US for SL55 and 2004 for the SL65)

SL55/63/65/R230 AMG: Differences in 03, 04, 05 SL55's

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-02-2006, 12:13 PM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
98 BMW 750iL
Differences in 03, 04, 05 SL55's

I searched but couldn't find the answers i was looking for...so i apologize if i missed it.

What's the differences in the model yrs 03, 04, & 05 SL55's? The only one I see is the DVD based Nav come about in 05 model. I think very minor cosmetic changes, but I'm sure there's more...so I can to the source. Oh, I noticed that there are not very many (if any) keyless go in the 03's...but I don't know for sure.

Thanks in advance
Old 07-02-2006, 12:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
AlabasterWhiteSL ObsidianBlackML
Originally Posted by MD750
I searched but couldn't find the answers i was looking for...so i apologize if i missed it.

What's the differences in the model yrs 03, 04, & 05 SL55's? The only one I see is the DVD based Nav come about in 05 model. I think very minor cosmetic changes, but I'm sure there's more...so I can to the source. Oh, I noticed that there are not very many (if any) keyless go in the 03's...but I don't know for sure.

Thanks in advance
From what I know...03's had a lot of small issues...04's werent bad but had the ugly Navi screen...05's are best of everything..most if not all issues resolved and a nice DVD nav, and with the 07 SL55's out you should be able to get your hands on one with low mileage for 90ish if not lower
Old 07-03-2006, 12:24 PM
Almost a Member!

98 BMW 750iL
Originally Posted by blazinginder
From what I know...03's had a lot of small issues...04's werent bad but had the ugly Navi screen...05's are best of everything..most if not all issues resolved and a nice DVD nav, and with the 07 SL55's out you should be able to get your hands on one with low mileage for 90ish if not lower
sweet! i must admit the newer navi does look a lot better, but it's not that important to me. my experience has been that all of them take you way too far out of the way to get you where you want to go...it only helps me if i'm absolutely lost somewhere...that way i don't know if it's taking me a longer way. so if that's the only change between the 04 and 05, i can probably deal w/ a low mileage 04 from a private seller upgrading to an 07.

thanks blazing!
Old 07-03-2006, 01:22 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2003 SL55
One other change - Auxilary Input

Also, the 03 and 04 had an auxillary input that you can plug an Ipod into...05 and on does not...some are disappointed by this.
Old 07-03-2006, 03:14 PM

2005 SL500
Originally Posted by EsEl
Also, the 03 and 04 had an auxillary input that you can plug an Ipod into...05 and on does not...some are disappointed by this.
The 05's trade-off is the ability to be able to play mp3s directly from CD or DVD media.
Old 07-03-2006, 08:58 PM

LS460L
Yup, I have over 700 songs on a DVD in my car. Just takes a while to load and sometimes there is a delay in changing songs.
Old 07-03-2006, 11:35 PM

If keyless go is important to you, you should know that the 03 cars had a "credit card" that you had to carry. In 04 they did away with the card, and put the chip right in the key fob.
Sirius was not offered on the 03 head unit.

Also 04 was the last year for free maintenance...

Things to consider.

Best of luck with the purchase.

-Audio

Last edited by Audioguy; 07-04-2006 at 12:21 AM.
Old 07-04-2006, 12:28 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
If you can find a 2003 with no problems, chances are you're being lied to
If you can find a 2004 for cheap, grab it.
If you can find a 2005 for cheap, grab it instead.

The credit card is cool, but sucks if the card dies, at least with the 'new' keyless go system you can start your car still incase something doesn't wor.

The ability (as well as the new navigation screen) to play mp3s would totally tilt my decision towards a newer car.

Release of SL550 has dropped used SL500 prices into the gutter. Two in one cars; hardtop convert. makes for a great buy!

However, reliability / annoyances exist throughout the entire range of Mercedes automobiles.
Old 07-04-2006, 03:26 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

SL55 AMG, 2006 Range Rover Sport with Kahn Design Package
Do not purchase a 03' SL 55 unless its very cheap. Chances are, like ricky said, there will be problems with the car. Kronen's SL suffered multiple problems from EIS to tranny issues. So stay away from 03'.
Old 07-04-2006, 05:04 AM
Out Of Control!!

Originally Posted by adam@kronen
Do not purchase a 03' SL 55 unless its very cheap. Chances are, like ricky said, there will be problems with the car. Kronen's SL suffered multiple problems from EIS to tranny issues. So stay away from 03'.
My dad has a 03 and it's got it's SRS light on and dealer can't fix. They also cannot fix the tire pressure monitoring system
Old 07-04-2006, 06:21 PM
Almost a Member!

98 BMW 750iL
Originally Posted by EsEl
that's perfect cause i want to do the same thing with my 750 so then i can just bring my ipod with me from car to car...so that's a big perk to me for an 04

If keyless go is important to you, you should know that the 03 cars had a "credit card" that you had to carry. In 04 they did away with the card, and put the chip right in the key fob.
Sirius was not offered on the 03 head unit.

Also 04 was the last year for free maintenance...

Things to consider.

Best of luck with the purchase.

-Audio
keyless-go is VERY important to me (this car has ALL the options i would like) sirius is not so much since i'll have my 30g ipod

free maintenance...elaborate please. you mean like oil changes and such?

If you can find a 2003 with no problems, chances are you're being lied to
If you can find a 2004 for cheap, grab it.
If you can find a 2005 for cheap, grab it instead.

The credit card is cool, but sucks if the card dies, at least with the 'new' keyless go system you can start your car still incase something doesn't wor.

The ability (as well as the new navigation screen) to play mp3s would totally tilt my decision towards a newer car.

Release of SL550 has dropped used SL500 prices into the gutter. Two in one cars; hardtop convert. makes for a great buy!

However, reliability / annoyances exist throughout the entire range of Mercedes automobiles.
i think it's shaping up for an 04 purchase. the mp3 thing doesn't sway me at all since i have my ipod now. i would totally get a 500 if not for the fact my big car would have more hp/tq than my sportscar i drove my friend's 500 and could most definitely tell them difference in tq when i got back into my car.

this is EXCELLENT feedback guys...i really appreciate it. has anyone had bad experience purchasing off of ebay or should i stay away from it?
Old 07-05-2006, 01:25 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

SL55 AMG, 2006 Range Rover Sport with Kahn Design Package
Good luck! Please dont hesistate to pm/email me on your new SL mods!
Old 07-05-2006, 07:26 AM

2005 SL 500
The shift knob and the COMMAND face have changed during that time. Also, the earlier models used to have an extra air button over the COMMAND that was removed in later versions. The earlier versions had an MP3 player hookup in the glove box, whereas the later versions do not.
Old 07-05-2006, 10:21 AM
Almost a Member!

98 BMW 750iL
Good luck! Please dont hesistate to pm/email me on your new SL mods!
i'll be sure to do that since i'm sure there will be mods...i have a sickness even though i think it's going to be a while since i know EXACTLY what color combos and options i want now:

04 SL55
-keyless-go...no brainer
-ventilated seats...another no brainer for me
-bi-xenon headlights
-tire pressure monitoring
-distronic plus(or with parktronic)...i actually do use my cruise control a lot and that would be a neat feature to have
-colors:
-1st choice: white w/ stone or darker color interior...i love that white!
-2nd: silver w/ darker color interior...my wife seen one she liked in that color
-3rd: black w/ black interior...only if it's a price i couldn't pass up and it had all the above options + the pano-roof. my 750 is black and i want a different color

i would love the pano roof, but i don't think i should make it a "must have"...i do want to find this soon

thanks a lot guys and if you know anyone with these options on an 04 that's looking to upgrade, please pass them my way.
Old 07-05-2006, 08:12 PM
Banned

The 03 SL's have the Ipod integration, the keyless go is sweet with the Credit Card everyone is amazed by it and it hasn't died on my all three years. The navi is basically the same as the DVD, just looks different, and all the options are the same. My favorite thing is the ipod integration, and you can get SAT if you want on the 03 it has the button for it. Basically, and 03 is just as nice as a 06 but cheaper and I like the Mercedes Benz Credit Card Keyless Go.And the Best thing is the FREE SERVICE!!! Good luck!

Last edited by SL55 RIMS; 07-05-2006 at 08:14 PM.
Old 07-06-2006, 05:24 PM
Almost a Member!

98 BMW 750iL
Originally Posted by SL55 RIMS
The 03 SL's have the Ipod integration, the keyless go is sweet with the Credit Card everyone is amazed by it and it hasn't died on my all three years. The navi is basically the same as the DVD, just looks different, and all the options are the same. My favorite thing is the ipod integration, and you can get SAT if you want on the 03 it has the button for it. Basically, and 03 is just as nice as a 06 but cheaper and I like the Mercedes Benz Credit Card Keyless Go.And the Best thing is the FREE SERVICE!!! Good luck!
i think i like the keyless w/ the key better...much less chance of me losing it. so does all the MB dealerships honor the FREE service on 03's even if it's bought used? what are the "other" known problems with the 03's?
Old 07-06-2006, 06:17 PM
Out Of Control!!

2003 has iPod integration? Where? I see no dock in dads car.. or are you talking about the aux jack in the glove box?

MD750: Do a search for the problems, there are so many to list that you could have ranging from air leaks / noises to total lemons! :o
Old 07-06-2006, 07:59 PM
Banned

2005 SL55, 2000 CL500
03,04 or 05 ? GO 2005

When I started looking for my SL55. My dealer SA suggested getting
the newest I could afford. And from others first hand to avoid the 03.
So when shopping for mine I almost bought an 04 with all the bells and whistles. But when I found a clean 05 for the same price. Less some of the goodies. Park, Pan, Dist, etc. I went for the 05. I think the SA had the right
info. The newer the car on the SL55 the better and less bugs to deal with.
Old 07-06-2006, 08:22 PM
Almost a Member!

98 BMW 750iL
Originally Posted by bltserv
When I started looking for my SL55. My dealer SA suggested getting
the newest I could afford. And from others first hand to avoid the 03.
So when shopping for mine I almost bought an 04 with all the bells and whistles. But when I found a clean 05 for the same price. Less some of the goodies. Park, Pan, Dist, etc. I went for the 05. I think the SA had the right
info. The newer the car on the SL55 the better and less bugs to deal with.
well, i don't think i would be very happy with the SL w/o those bells-n-whistles. the options i listed i don't think i want an SL w/o them. distronic cause i always use cruise control...plus or parktronic: cause i would rather have that feature than a scratch on my bumbers...bi-xenon: cause it's just make it look that much more nice at night...tire pressure: i may be able to do w/o this one cause either i'll have a flat and know it or soon thereafter...the ventilated seats and keyless go: no brainers imo

honestly, i don't think i would get an 07 if it didn't have the options i wanted...
Old 07-07-2006, 12:26 AM
Banned

2005 SL55, 2000 CL500
Bells and whistles

Originally Posted by MD750
well, i don't think i would be very happy with the SL w/o those bells-n-whistles. the options i listed i don't think i want an SL w/o them. distronic cause i always use cruise control...plus or parktronic: cause i would rather have that feature than a scratch on my bumbers...bi-xenon: cause it's just make it look that much more nice at night...tire pressure: i may be able to do w/o this one cause either i'll have a flat and know it or soon thereafter...the ventilated seats and keyless go: no brainers imo

honestly, i don't think i would get an 07 if it didn't have the options i wanted...
FYI:
Well with the SL55 the parktronic will not pick up concrete parking stops.
My CL500 has the parktronic. It misses them. But it rides higher so no sweat for it.
Here in So Cal. Distronic is something I would rarely use. Traffic sucks 90%
of the time anyway. Got the Keyless. Love that. The tire pressure would be nice. Got the good lights. Will live without the seat vent for swamp ***.
My 2005 has warranty thru March 2009. Just need to keep the miles down
and life is good. Keeping my CL500 as a daily driver and all is well.

Noticed you have a BMW.
I killed a new 750LI the other day
https://mbworld.org/forums/kill-stories/154254-sl55-vs-750li.html
Get the SL55 and retire the "second best German" car.
Old 07-07-2006, 02:19 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
SL55 AMG
Certainly the amount of new technology in the car meant the early ones needed updating; not so much with the major mechanicals but certainly problems with the brakes, hydraulic suspension and electronics. I think the DVD-based navigation is the biggest change in the first three years of production.

The card keyless go was cool but as Ricky says, it would leave you stranded if the card would not let you in. The main reason to put the chip in the key was to force you to carry the real key so that you have a backup, even down to the metal key insert.

My '03 has settled down well after a handful (6-8) of recalls and updates, mainly to the braking system and is now absolutely fine. It's not my daily driver though - I think there would be more niggly issues if it was - and I'm not minded to change it, Porsche's provide a better driving experience for me.

I think the general advice here - to get the latest you can - is right. Worth spending the extra to get the more recent model.
Old 07-07-2006, 04:22 AM

SL
when do you guys think the next generation SL will come out? the current one came out in 2003, so I would estimate the earliest is 2011 (2010model)... what u think?
Old 07-07-2006, 04:55 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
SL55 AMG
The car was actually launched in August 2001, so it is nearly 6 years old. Add 4 years develeopment time and it's 10 years since they got started. We've now had the mid-life makeover so I would expect a car to be launched 2009/2010

The Mercedes model range gets more confusing than ever as the conventional 3 box saloon/sedan falls from favour. The S-Class has traditionally led the introduction of new technology, so what you are seeing in that new car will find it's way into a new SL. Though hopefully not the ghastly wheelarches.
Old 07-07-2006, 08:34 AM
Almost a Member!

98 BMW 750iL
Originally Posted by bltserv
FYI:
Well with the SL55 the parktronic will not pick up concrete parking stops.
My CL500 has the parktronic. It misses them. But it rides higher so no sweat for it.
Here in So Cal. Distronic is something I would rarely use. Traffic sucks 90%
of the time anyway. Got the Keyless. Love that. The tire pressure would be nice. Got the good lights. Will live without the seat vent for swamp ***.
My 2005 has warranty thru March 2009. Just need to keep the miles down
and life is good. Keeping my CL500 as a daily driver and all is well.

Noticed you have a BMW.
I killed a new 750LI the other day
https://mbworld.org/forums/showthread.php?t=154254
Get the SL55 and retire the "second best German" car.
actually my pdc's on my 750 doesn't pick up the parking curbs either and my car is lowered. unfortunately mind is not missing those anymore lol...i like the "second best German" comment...that remains to be seen from me. this will be my first, and hopefully not last, mercedes purchase. i love my 98 bimmer...i love the old body styles, it's big, it's comfortable, and believe it or not it's fast too. i also love that it's not a huge computer so i can actually work on stuff myself w/o taking it to the dealership. i'll be getting my manifolds and ecu upgrade done soon and that will put her in the neighborhood of 370-380hp...i can't wait!