SL55 AMG, SL63 AMG, SL65 AMG (R230) 2002 - 2011 (2003 US for SL55 and 2004 for the SL65)

SL55/63/65/R230 AMG: 360 spider or gallardo spyder?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-29-2006, 12:18 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'10 Porsche Turbo PDK, 500e, GL450
lambo

Thats my vote.

Didn't like the G35 had one for about 9 months. Tranny had issues and the car was rattling and creaking in a very short amount of time. Didn't have enough power in my opinion.

Have your coworker wait for a Skyline if she can wait and afford it.
Old 07-29-2006, 12:23 AM
ON PROBATION

I'm doing Pearl White and two-tone Black and Grey Sport interior on the Spyder.

Rosso Leto and Slate and Grey Sport interior on the coupe.

E-Gear, lift, nav, camera, heated and electric seats, sport suspension, and leather trim package on both. Oh, and the branding package on both.

Coupe gets the glass engine cover - didn't do it on the Spyder - wanted to try it on one but not on both....

I forget what else - didn't go for the track option, but I did go for the Sport suspension set-up.

I wanted a tan interior - but didn't order it with the Rosso Leto in the coupe -- still wonder about that choice....

I liked both the Grigio Altair Silver and the Grigio Proteus Grey -- but hared-out on both of those colors at the end. LOL - and I thought that I was going to order the Pearl Orange -- but that just isn't my style.

Oh, and I did go with the Callisto wheels on both -- love those wheels!

Wanted to try one of each - I am not a real convertible fan (yay for the MBZ folding hardtop!). If I really like them, and if they turn out to be more of an all-weather exotic with the AWD, I may order another for the States and one for one of my residences in Europe.

I do plan on visiting the factory in Sant Agata(?) - and that may be when I order a 'perfect build' for replacements....

I have not been a Lambo fan in the past - I like to drive my cars, and I don't like hassle, drama, or breakdowns....

I am hoping that VW did a good thing for the Gallardo - but also that the car hasn't lost all of its 'italian exoticness'.

I will soon see.

Go for the Gallardo - it's worth a try; and a much better choice than the 360 in my opinion.
Old 07-29-2006, 12:38 AM

2005 SL65
Jesseliu...

thanks for the guidance. do you know when the skyline is due, and about what it will cost?
Old 07-29-2006, 12:41 AM

2005 SL65
ClayJ...

thanks. you're already swaying me. what do you think 2006 pricing should be?
Old 07-29-2006, 12:53 AM

05 g35 & 04 cl 500
Skyline is due in a year or so, price is about$ 70 - 75k. I have a G as a daily driver I like it has a nice interior and a good amount of power for the price.
Old 07-29-2006, 01:42 AM

For what it's worth, I've owned 2 360F1's a 2000 and now 2004. I drive them almost every day and they have both been extremely reliable. Ferrari builds them to be drivers now. I've always thought the Lambo's look like kit cars for the Guido set. The Ferrari has a lot more style and grace. But I agree that at this point if you can afford it, to go for a 430. 100 more HP and many tech improvements, athough I don't think it's as pretty as the 360. Just my 2 cents
Old 07-29-2006, 03:18 AM
ON PROBATION

Originally Posted by david_101
thanks. you're already swaying me. what do you think 2006 pricing should be?
That's a really good question. I was getting nothing but BS prices on just-OK-build cars available either on the ground in, or coming into, the US....

I finally called upon one of my GM's in the car business to determine whether or not he could get me a better deal on pricing - and a soon-enough delivery date. Ended up going thataway. I am paying I think about $20-30K less than retail list with the options on each car.....

I don't think that you're going to get pricing like that at a dealer in the US. I would NOT pay over calculated sticker, that's for sure -- there are Gallardo's out there.

And just because of the valued earnestness of our discussion here - which I have greatly appreciated, BTW - I do want to reiterate that I am taking one of each to give them a try; I am hoping that they will be cars that I will appreciate and enjoy owning and driving - but I don't think that I will be able to fully determine that until I have put some seat-time into each.

In your stated circumstance of choosing between a 360 and a new Gallardo, however, there would be no doubt in my mind: I'd try the Gallardo. I have gone with the F430instead of the 360 - just too much better than, and too much of an improvement of the car over, the 360. IMHO.

Driving both tomorrow? Can't wait to hear how that turned out for you. Good hunting!
Old 07-29-2006, 09:38 AM
CY
MBWorld Fanatic!

SL/M6
I would go Gallardo or F430. My friend just traded his Black Gallardo for a Silver Conv. version and loves it.
Old 07-29-2006, 10:46 AM

2005 SL65
ClayJ...

ADM really bugs me. i went to a local toyota dealer to get one of those new FJs, and they were trying to shake people for 8k over the 30k sticker. that was a joke. i wanted a disposable SUV that could plow through water and crawl over obstacles. no way i'd drop $ for the privilege.

so, i looked at H3s. again, the local dealer played some goofy game. the first go-round came back with a ridiculous number for a 2006. the second go-round resulted in the offer of a 2007 custom build. for that privilege, i should give them 1k non-refundable and THEN receive pricing. not happening.

next, i EM with the GM of the local MB dealer, asking if he could recommend autonation stores, and the SMs at those stores, for an acura, an infiniti, and a hummer. then there's the E one of my atty friends wants. (and now a second E for another guy.) he goes one better: he'll acquire and deliver through his store at competitive numbers. he'll even match numbers on the Es that i bring from elsewhere. number-wise, that sounds pretty good and convenient, doesn't it? so, i sent EM with specs and am awaiting his reply.

okay, so i then go to the local acura dealer to find numbers there. the SM introduces me to a vixen seller, who manages to simultaneously bat her eyes and smile wide. (talk about talent...) well, that tactic wasn't about to work. if i wanted to experience a wet dream, i'd swim before bed and dream "gallardo." i give her the specs and my cell, and ask her to call with numbers. she seemed genuinely surprised that i didn't wish to wait while she procured them, and asked if i would. nope, i had to be elsewhere. i get up to leave, and see three guys walking around the SL65. the GM approaches to thank me, and says the guys just wanted to see what model it was. goodbyes over, i walk out and am met by conversation with one guy, who turns out to be a seller. turned out that the store had been acquired from someone i'd known and had purchased from, and the seller (claimed he) was friendly with. i received one call from the SM that day, and two calls the next day from the seller. (i guess they put away the vixen with the big-guns.) they managed to tack on something like 10% to a print and website advertised special. more nonsense. they'll be calling again, because i sure won't.

so, i'm relating these very recent events because i simply won't pay sticker+. i certainly won't pay it for the gallardo. i'd rather walk away knowing that at some point, i'll get a call with a reasonable deal, just as i did with the SL.

i'm heading out to the cars in a few minutes. i'll go through the numbers again before slipping into the seats. if the numbers aren't reasonable, then i won't drive them. no reason to suffer those unsatisfying dreams after feeling them up and down and all around, right?

Last edited by david_101; 07-29-2006 at 10:50 AM.
Old 07-29-2006, 12:47 PM
ON PROBATION

I agree with you exactly on pricing premiums -- I'll never pay one, period.

US is a big place, the world is a big place - I'll look, and wait, before paying over sticker (since we all know that sticker or MSRP already has two or three markups included).

I had decent conversations with a couple of dealers about pricing when I was in the Gallardo hunt -- they just didn't have a build on the lot which was what I wanted (my choice to go with E-Gear really pared down my available options). Have you tried giving a call to Symbolic Motors? I didn't have alot of problems with them.

http://www.symbolicmotors.com/mainpages/inventory.php

I'd send you to one of my companies -- but I don't do that here.

They're still making the cars, the cars are still arriving at dealerships in the US, and there are dealers out there who will recognize you for the non-idiot or non-sucker customer that you are and sell the car to you at sticker (which is as high as I ever go)...so no despair, you're just in the hunt for one.

I'd still take an available testdrive, though: I enjoy the anticipation involved in tasting and then waiting....
Old 07-29-2006, 05:36 PM

2005 SL65
ClayJ...

thanks for the lead to symbolic; i already visited the site.

i stopped in for the cars earlier, but didn't have time to test because i was in the midst of helping my GF's parents with a chore. the guy asked if i wanted to look at the cars for a moment. (i must say that he's a soft-sell master, which i appreciate.) i declined with an explanation. but i asked for and received the gallardo sticker. it's about 225k, and they're asking about 250k. so, they're tacking on a 10% premium. that quashes my interest. i won't bother to drive the G, or the 360, right now. and i'll wait another month or two to try again. besides, i must get the hummer or something else similar, and get additional parking for it and another car. priorities...

so, my GF's in europe with one her GFs. our recent daily calls have been dominated by talk of the G...and sparks from receptacles. i told her earlier today that i'd dropped the G thought, citing the counsel of her mom (who did tell me i was nuts...LOL). she said i should ignore her mom. right! not only would that be impossible, it'd be unwise. ;-)

thanks again for your thoughts.
Old 07-29-2006, 05:45 PM

2005 SL65
leggs...

the young lady cannot afford the skyline; she'll be happy enough with the G35C. another young lady in the office hopes to have an acura RSX within the next two weeks. i helped out a young lady in the past with one of those, and i recall it being a decent enough car.

thanks.
Old 07-30-2006, 11:49 AM
ON PROBATION

Life goes on; rejoin the hunt in a month....

I will post my impressions on the Gallardo's here in the forums when I take delivery.
Old 07-30-2006, 12:26 PM

2005 SL65
ClayJ...

will do. i'm looking forward to living vicariously for a while. ;-)
Old 07-30-2006, 12:58 PM
ON PROBATION

What region of the country do you live in, david_101?

I may be able soon enough to put some more thrill into your vicarious....

I don't have PM ability - email me through the MBWorld site email a member option, and we'll see about setting that up....

Old 07-30-2006, 01:24 PM

2005 SL65
ClayJ...

S FL, mostly lauderdale and boca.
Old 07-30-2006, 01:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
E350
Originally Posted by lookatmeeee
blahzayblah ... I LOVE your picture.. who are those women?

haha.. And I'd actually go w/ the 360 merely because it is more car for your buck... The Gallardo is guaranteed to drop in value once the Spyder's become more prevalant.. And I guarantee that's happening soon. 360's in general always hold their value.. On top of that, if you've ever seen the Gallardo or 360 in person, the Gallardo spyder just looks funny, Lambo's usually have dated designs whereas ferrari's are just classicly beautiful. The only spyder lambo makes that looks good is the Murcielago, which is one 230K piece of ****. Oh, and if you want a nicer interior along with better reliability -- the Ferrari's the way to go. I wouldn't pay more than $160K for a 360 spyder though in the 2002 range..
Lamborghinis usually have a higher resale value over ferraris. Look at the price of a 360 Modena now, they are about 90K, i dont even think you can find a 98 Diablo for that price. Atleast in good condition.
Old 07-30-2006, 01:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'99 C230 K
gallardo spyder for sure. I think it looks nicer and to me they are more exclusive.
Old 07-30-2006, 03:31 PM

SL55, Range Rover S/C '06
Lamborghinis usually have a higher resale value over ferraris. Look at the price of a 360 Modena now, they are about 90K, i dont even think you can find a 98 Diablo for that price. Atleast in good condition.

Please find me a decent condition 360 Modena (A US MODEL) that I can buy for $90K.. And I will buy it. I've been in the market looking for either a Gallardo or 360 coupe for a while now and have YET to find a decent 360 Coupe for under $120K.

Lets see.. the Gallardo with the E-Shift runs at about $185K MSRP.. You can NOW pick up 2 year old Gallardo's for $140-145K, with lower miles and within warranty. The Berlinetta stickshift 360 Modena was $147,000 MSRP, and $160,000 for the F1 model.. A 2000-2001 lower mileage 360 Coupe stickshift or F1 will be about $110-120K. Now lets see, 5 years for $35,000 of depreciation for a 360 Coupe. A Gallardo is $40,000 of depreciation in TWO years.

The simple truth is this.. The 360 IS more common because it's been in production in the US since 1999, and had over 6 years of production. The Gallardo has been in production for only 2 years. However, Lambo is deep in the red and needs to make money so they are going to try to produce as many Gallardo's as they can, hence the low resale value..

Also, a Diablo was a $200K+ car when it was new.. For a Ferrari 360 to be $147,000 new and after 6 years you still cannot get a 360 Modena that wasn't abused under $100,000 is a testament to Ferrari's resale values.
Old 07-31-2006, 01:06 PM
Banned

2001,CL 500
Originally Posted by david_101
you must know the only true motivation for considering the 360s and the G is upping the ante in negotiations between us on the trade we corresponded about previously. ball's in your court now! {:-] oh, and where are you and your ladies located?
hmmmmm....i am in connecticut....well have to see here..
Old 07-31-2006, 01:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
BMW E39
The Gallardo is more powerful, more refined, maintaince is probably cheaper since Audi can perform some work.

BUT

You haven't lived until you've heard a Ferrari at 8k rpms.
Old 07-31-2006, 01:46 PM
Almost a Member!

03 g500, 84 buick grand national, 04 Lexus gx470 (wife's ride)
clays' bs

Clay, I am curious, What kind of jet do you own? What line of business are you in? With the money you claim to be able to spend on toys you are way past the pro athlete salary.I dont know of many entertainers that are on your level either. It seems you are among the Warren Buffett, Trump, and Bill Gates of the world. It seems you have enough time make 12 posts per day on this board. If I were a billionaire I wouldn't waste my time with common folk like me on here. I work very hard for what I have. I started my mortgage company 3 years ago and have my 1st Benz. It has taken a long time for me to get where I am and the last thing I want is my intelligence insulted. Do me a favor stop bsing everyone here or find others to bs.
Old 07-31-2006, 03:59 PM
Banned

2001,CL 500
Originally Posted by tenns500
Clay, I am curious, What kind of jet do you own? What line of business are you in? With the money you claim to be able to spend on toys you are way past the pro athlete salary.I dont know of many entertainers that are on your level either. It seems you are among the Warren Buffett, Trump, and Bill Gates of the world. It seems you have enough time make 12 posts per day on this board. If I were a billionaire I wouldn't waste my time with common folk like me on here. I work very hard for what I have. I started my mortgage company 3 years ago and have my 1st Benz. It has taken a long time for me to get where I am and the last thing I want is my intelligence insulted. Do me a favor stop bsing everyone here or find others to bs.

that is what the internet is, people can lie about anything or pretend to be anything and there will always be fools who believe. of course this guy could be what he says, but probably not..it would be my rule if i ran the site that if you claim to have exotics and discuss things as though you do, you must either produce pictures immediately or be made to leave the site...and i agree with you why would you come on here if you were rich and supposedly a succesful man...i am 20 and come on here to **** time away while i have little going on in my life right now..when i make it do you honestly think i would come on here for one second and bs.....
Old 07-31-2006, 07:07 PM
Almost a Member!

03 g500, 84 buick grand national, 04 Lexus gx470 (wife's ride)
Clay,
How are the two lambos you just bought? What other magnificent pieces of automotive history do you own? Why have we not seen them.BTW the pics of the new Murc you had in another post your "GM" took looked really good. The studio and pics he took were very professional. Too professional they looked like they were pics for motor trend you jackass.
Old 08-02-2006, 11:12 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
2017 W205 C43 AMG
Originally Posted by ClayJ
I will soon be taking delivery of both a Gallardo coupe and a Spyder. I will have to get into the cars and do some amount of driving to see how much I like the new Gallardo.

The Pearl White was my color choice for the Spyder.
Taking delivery of both Coupe and Spyder, soon, huh? As in leaving the "boonies" "soon"?

...and the ficticious fibbing continues...Stop lying and Start driving...!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: SL55/63/65/R230 AMG: 360 spider or gallardo spyder?