SL55 AMG, SL63 AMG, SL65 AMG (R230) 2002 - 2011 (2003 US for SL55 and 2004 for the SL65)

SL55/63/65/R230 AMG: Which car to keep?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-01-2006, 03:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bentley Arnage Red Label
Which car to keep?

I have one of the first Bentley CGT converts coming in Jan. and although I think the SL65 is one of the best all around cars I have ever owned I don't need two converts and could really use the back seats for my kids. On the other hand, my car is perfect and has no issues and will no doubt have everything over the Bentley except style and uniqueness. I know I could make a quick buck flipping the Bentley but not really concerned with that. Which car would you guys keep and why?
Old 09-01-2006, 03:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 559 Likes on 369 Posts
'19 E63S, ‘16 CLS63 RIP, '09 E63 Gone, '06 M5 Gone, '97 Supra TT Gone
Uniqueness?

I see more Bentleys than 65's any day man. My neck BREAKS when I see an SL65, the Bent GT is a gussied up VW. Stick with your 65, its truly an engineering masterpiece.
Old 09-01-2006, 04:07 PM
CY
MBWorld Fanatic!

SL/M6
I agree with the above post, but most commoners would be more impressed with the VW GT. I would keep the SL65 unless I was trading for a Lambo or F-car, but that's my opinion.
Old 09-01-2006, 04:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

keep the sl and drive the bentley for 2 weeks or until you see someone else with one and sell it for every penny you have in it, if possible! that way you dont really 'take a hit' on either car.
Old 09-01-2006, 04:19 PM

Bentley Arnage Red Label
I don't know why you guys call the Bentley a VW. It is no more a VW than a Lambo is an Audi, an Aston is a Ford etc. Thats the way of the future. Personally I think the bigger companies with a ton of money behind them are producing much more reliable cars. Look at the older lambos,Bentley's, Astons etc. Yes there are some parts sharing but thats the new reality. I dig my SL65 but I am sure it has some of the same parts as a C class and I know it has some cheap plastic in the interior.
Old 09-01-2006, 04:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 559 Likes on 369 Posts
'19 E63S, ‘16 CLS63 RIP, '09 E63 Gone, '06 M5 Gone, '97 Supra TT Gone
The Bentley is very much a VW right down to the seats. Even the shifter is a VW parts bin part and I laughed hysterically when I first saw it. Its not like your Arnage, bespoke items are nearly a thing of the past. The same reasons why I wouldn't own a Bentley GT are the same reasons I'd never buy a Gallardo. Audi shares engines with both these marques, and I wouldn't be surprised at all to find the word "Haldex" written on the AWD tranny in the BGT.

Call me silly, I'd just rather have a luxury car where nearly all parts were engineered FOR THAT CAR.
Old 09-01-2006, 05:49 PM

Bentley Arnage Red Label
Originally Posted by Cylinder Head
The Bentley is very much a VW right down to the seats. Even the shifter is a VW parts bin part and I laughed hysterically when I first saw it. Its not like your Arnage, bespoke items are nearly a thing of the past. The same reasons why I wouldn't own a Bentley GT are the same reasons I'd never buy a Gallardo. Audi shares engines with both these marques, and I wouldn't be surprised at all to find the word "Haldex" written on the AWD tranny in the BGT.

Call me silly, I'd just rather have a luxury car where nearly all parts were engineered FOR THAT CAR.
I get what you are saying but thats reality these days. My Arnage has crappy climate control buttons right out of a BMW and an Allison transmission. Besides looks, a Flying Spur is a much better car than an Arnage. The Gallardo is Audi but with that money behind it it is now the best built Lambo ever. Audi is no slouch themselves, looka t their Lemans records. It is inevitable that newer cars will share parts (Maybach included) so that part doesn't bother me. What bothers me is that the Benz has a hardtop, the Bent. doesn't, the Benz has an awesome 604hp motor and the Bent. doesn't but the Benz looks like an 03 Sl500 that can be bought for 50k and the Bent. (to me anyway in the right color) is a damn fine looking car.
Old 09-01-2006, 05:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
AlabasterWhiteSL ObsidianBlackML
I'm not too familiar with availability on the Bentley GTC's but im pretty sure the waiting list is long...I personally dont care for one but it certainly would be an eye catcher every where you go. If you do sell the SL65 im sure you will take a big hit seeing as you have one of the first 2005's, I say you just keep it regardless of whether you get the GTC or not.
Old 09-01-2006, 06:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
CLK63BS, SL55, G55, C43
Originally Posted by Juice it
Which car would you guys keep and why?
If you want to clean your garage I'd say sell the SL65. You don't much mind the hit in depreciation, and you've been driving the SL for a while. Drive the Bentley a while to see how that is. Afterwards you can always buy back an SL if you wish to do so
Old 09-01-2006, 06:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLS55
Trade the SL65 for the Bently CGT. You'll have the new car on the block, and lets face it, you've already had fun in the 65. A year down the road you can always go back to the SL or any other car that catches your attention.

Think of it as dating.. you've got a great girl, but there's that other girl you'd like to take for a ride In the future you can always go back to the other girl.

Happy
Old 09-03-2006, 10:15 AM

i agree variety is the spice of life
Old 09-03-2006, 10:53 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

AMG
sl65 is god.
Old 09-03-2006, 11:08 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'08 M5, '10 Land Cruiser
Originally Posted by Cylinder Head
Uniqueness?

I see more Bentleys than 65's any day man. My neck BREAKS when I see an SL65, the Bent GT is a gussied up VW. Stick with your 65, its truly an engineering masterpiece.
Very well said.
Old 09-03-2006, 11:58 AM
CY
MBWorld Fanatic!

SL/M6
I just dont think it looks sleek enough. If you can live without back seats (which you have been doing in the conv. for a while it seems) get a F-car or keep the 65. The Bentley is awesome but too bulbous IMO. The only rag-top worth buying IMO is a F or L car. I would also rather have a DB9 cab over the Bentley cab but its all personal opinion I guess. If you were 100% sure your could keep it a while and get you money out, that would also be a great way to go...but there's always a risk you will get a little buried.
Old 09-04-2006, 05:58 PM

Bentley Arnage Red Label
Originally Posted by cy0811
I just dont think it looks sleek enough. If you can live without back seats (which you have been doing in the conv. for a while it seems) get a F-car or keep the 65. The Bentley is awesome but too bulbous IMO. The only rag-top worth buying IMO is a F or L car. I would also rather have a DB9 cab over the Bentley cab but its all personal opinion I guess. If you were 100% sure your could keep it a while and get you money out, that would also be a great way to go...but there's always a risk you will get a little buried.
Actually the back seats would now be a plus since I have two very young kids. I did the Ferrari thing and replaced that with the SL. I would love a new 430 Spider but not on the list and not willing to pay 300k for one. Maybe I just need a new house with more garage space so this won't be an issue. Damn cars! I wish I was one of those guys that could drive a Prius and be happy. Sure would save a boat load of money!
Old 09-04-2006, 10:42 PM

SL65/BENTLEY GT
Cool

Since I have had a little seat time in the 65 and GT, I have come to the conclusion that the GT in no way replaces the 65. The GT gets the nod for the more exotic look, interior and attention, but the performance of the 65 is unbelievable. If I had to let one go it would be the GT. I like cruising but I love flying. Dont worry, just keep both!!!
Old 09-05-2006, 01:06 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
SL55AMG, Ferrari 348, Ferrari Testarossa, Ferrari F40, Ferrari Mondial t, Ducati 916, Indycar
The obvious thing to do is keep the SL65........you will take a monster depreciation hit if you sell it now.

If you do have the first CGT vert...I can probably get you 50K+ over for it.

You can lose that money to offset the loss on the 65.

I had the first SL55 and was offered 50-75 over for the first 6 months, but I wanted to keep it. If I had it to do over again, I would have flipped the 55, and bought one a year down the road for alot under MSRP. I sold my SL65 contract for $20K...so the buyer of my 65 essentially paid $230K.....a year ago. His car is worth ~125K now. Big depreciation.
Old 09-05-2006, 01:30 AM
CY
MBWorld Fanatic!

SL/M6
Keeping both is ideal...I say get the GT and try to flip it. Feel it out and sell the SL65 if the GT fills the void....but its a hard void to fill.