SL55 AMG, SL63 AMG, SL65 AMG (R230) 2002 - 2011 (2003 US for SL55 and 2004 for the SL65)

SL55/63/65/R230 AMG: Wraped front rotors question

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-09-2007, 05:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2010 R8
Wraped front rotors question

Has anyone had problems with the front rotors with the AMG brakes? My '07 has 5,000 miles and I'm getting a slight shimmy in the steering wheel braking at 40-50 mph. This is the 5th MB I've owned and never had this happen before. One local dealer said this is normal that is the spring rate causing this. I can't believe some of the stuff some techs can come up with. Taking it to another dealer next week. Hopefully they will take the time and actually try and find the problem.
Old 03-09-2007, 08:10 PM

05 SL 55 AMG, 01 Turbusa/8.43 @ 183..1/4 mi.
Originally Posted by ldye
Has anyone had problems with the front rotors with the AMG brakes? My '07 has 5,000 miles and I'm getting a slight shimmy in the steering wheel braking at 40-50 mph. This is the 5th MB I've owned and never had this happen before. One local dealer said this is normal that is the spring rate causing this. I can't believe some of the stuff some techs can come up with. Taking it to another dealer next week. Hopefully they will take the time and actually try and find the problem.
I earn my living as a Service Writer/Customer Service Rep.........what you are describing sounds exactly like Hi-Spots on the rotors..........MB rotors cannot/should not be turned due to their extreme softness...............you may need new rotors.
Old 03-10-2007, 01:36 PM

SL55
Exclamation Huh?

Idye,

I have been building cars since I was 16... And that explanation is rediculous... On anything from a Hugo to a race car no spring rates would cause that... You have warped rotors...

When you first got the car, did you jump on the brakes real hard before the pads had a chance to seat? You have little contact area when both pad and rotor are new.. and that means the load is placed on that small area... Temps rise dramatically in spots that have contact on the rotor, and there you have the warpage.

If the dealer won't replace the pads & rotors... I suggest you contact MB.

Best,

RoydRage
Old 03-10-2007, 02:56 PM

2010 R8
I have also been involved in the mechanics of cars most my life and it's amazing what some of these techs will try to pass on to you. I purhased the car with 4000 miles on it so I can't say how the brakes where set in when new. I'll let you guys know what the dealer tells me on Wed.

Originally Posted by RoydRage
Idye,

I have been building cars since I was 16... And that explanation is rediculous... On anything from a Hugo to a race car no spring rates would cause that... You have warped rotors...

When you first got the car, did you jump on the brakes real hard before the pads had a chance to seat? You have little contact area when both pad and rotor are new.. and that means the load is placed on that small area... Temps rise dramatically in spots that have contact on the rotor, and there you have the warpage.

If the dealer won't replace the pads & rotors... I suggest you contact MB.

Best,

RoydRage
Old 03-14-2007, 02:30 PM

2010 R8
I've gotten no where with my problem. Service techs just want to blame the tire size for what I'm experincing. No explanation what causes the steering wheel to shimmy when you lightly touch the brakes. I'm at a loss now as to what to do to try and eliminate this.
Old 03-14-2007, 03:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 563 Likes on 372 Posts
'19 E63S, ‘16 CLS63 RIP, '09 E63 Gone, '06 M5 Gone, '97 Supra TT Gone
I've gotten no where with my problem. Service techs just want to blame the tire size for what I'm experincing. No explanation what causes the steering wheel to shimmy when you lightly touch the brakes. I'm at a loss now as to what to do to try and eliminate this.
Your rotors are definitely warped, and you're not getting anywhere, which means that you have to take it up the ladder. Try to take it easier on the next set. Learn how to properly bed in pads. Its a much more involved process than you'd think.

It has nothing to do with your suspension ( ), and if it had anything to do with your wheels you'd feel the shimmy on ACCELERATION and AT SPEED. If you only feel the shimmy on deceleration then its brake rotors, PERIOD. Its about as hard to diagnose as a compound fracture.

Oh that's your bone sticking out of your leg? Must be broken.
Old 03-14-2007, 03:19 PM

2010 R8
I've only had this car for 2 weeks. I've just about decided to dump it. When this MB is gone there will never,ever be another Mercedes in my garage. This is the 7 MB I've owned and everytime I have any issues with the cars it takes forever to get it resolved. I'm tired of fighting it. You shouldn't have to push a service department to correct a problem that is clearly detectable and fixable.
Old 03-14-2007, 04:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I've only had this car for 2 weeks. I've just about decided to dump it. When this MB is gone there will never,ever be another Mercedes in my garage. This is the 7 MB I've owned and everytime I have any issues with the cars it takes forever to get it resolved. I'm tired of fighting it. You shouldn't have to push a service department to correct a problem that is clearly detectable and fixable.
Get an M6, BMW service is nicey nice.
Old 03-15-2007, 04:03 PM

Originally Posted by Cylinder Head
Get an M6, BMW service is nicey nice.
I would have quit after 2-3 bad cars, not 7...........

My used '05 SL55 has had absolutely no issues as of yet............

(other than the fact that it needed the ECU/Pulley/IC Pump upgrades........for more power.)

Oh, and we removed the "Deer-Whistles" the previous owner installed.....We had to in order to install the 2ndary Intercooler.

Last edited by SuperDave; 03-15-2007 at 04:06 PM.
Old 03-15-2007, 04:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by SuperDave
I would have quit after 2-3 bad cars, not 7...........

My used '05 SL55 has had absolutely no issues as of yet............

(other than the fact that it needed the ECU/Pulley/IC Pump upgrades........for more power.)

Oh, and we removed the "Deer-Whistles" the previous owner installed.....We had to in order to install the 2ndary Intercooler.

Classic case of brand loyalty I guess. There's so much competition in this segment, I don't see why you wouldn't jump ship. Some people just have bad luck with cars.
Old 03-24-2007, 11:08 PM

2010 R8
Problem sloved

Took care of this issue. Traded the SL today for '07 911 turbo.
Old 03-25-2007, 12:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
SL55AMG, Ferrari 348, Ferrari Testarossa, Ferrari F40, Ferrari Mondial t, Ducati 916, Indycar
Took care of this issue. Traded the SL today for '07 911 turbo.
That's a shame that this dealer treated you like this. Was it the same dealer that you had the other issues with? This problem sounds pretty obvious. It was warped rotors. Period, end of story. You shouldn't have had to pay for it, but if you did...the rotors are $110/each, and the pads are $200. S, I would have just handled it myself. The SL55 is just too good a car to let this group of idiots destroy your views of the car. I still would contact MBUSA and let them know what happened.
Old 03-25-2007, 05:57 PM

Originally Posted by IngenereAMG
That's a shame that this dealer treated you like this. Was it the same dealer that you had the other issues with? This problem sounds pretty obvious. It was warped rotors. Period, end of story. You shouldn't have had to pay for it, but if you did...the rotors are $110/each, and the pads are $200. S, I would have just handled it myself. The SL55 is just too good a car to let this group of idiots destroy your views of the car. I still would contact MBUSA and let them know what happened.

Ditto............Warped rotors is no big deal..........new ones cost about 150 each...........I personally would not re-surface the old ones.......too thin then........"The more rotor meat........the more it will absorb heat".......you can quote me...

P.S.........the Porsche is a nice car........
Old 03-25-2007, 07:43 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by SuperDave
Ditto............Warped rotors is no big deal..........new ones cost about 150 each...........I personally would not re-surface the old ones.......too thin then........"The more rotor meat........the more it will absorb heat".......you can quote me...

P.S.........the Porsche is a nice car........
You can quote him on that, or if I have time you can ask me and I'll do the physics to support the theory behind it... :o

Oh I love being an engineer in training.
Old 03-25-2007, 08:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
E-ZGO 53hp., 1999 E 430 sport, 2004 E 55, 2008 Tahoe LTZ on 24"s
I find it hard to believe that you have warped a rotor on an AMG at 5000 miles.

The dealer sized you up, and was not motivated to help you, I wonder why?
Try telling the whole story...