SL55 AMG, SL63 AMG, SL65 AMG (R230) 2002 - 2011 (2003 US for SL55 and 2004 for the SL65)

SL55/63/65/R230 AMG: Test Drive in the 07 SL65

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-26-2007, 12:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Test Drive in the 07 SL65

Since I have my 06 SL65 on the way I decided to swing by the dealer and see if they had a 07 to compare. Of course when I inquire they start right in with the pitch.. " hmmm well we had just one but I think it's sold.. let me ask" Then a slew of calls back and forth and whispered conversations result in the salesman not even answering if it's available but gives me the "let's go down stairs and take a look".

All BS aside, there it was in all it's glory.. a 2007 Designo Graphite Edition SL65. I have to admit I have never seen this color on an SL let alone a 65 and it was stunning. Amazing dark metallic color with the designo dark custom leather interior. Only difference I noticed from the exterior were the aggressive gill type vents on the lower front aero of the car which looked great. Only thing different I noticed when I sat in it was the smooth brushed paddle shifters behind the wheel. Other than that I couldn't tell it from the 06.

A bit surprised he asked to take it for a spin, probably was my GT2 I pulled up in, I agreed and off we went. Great ride... nice strong power that doesn't give up like my CLS55 did and actually gives you the feel it's a bottomless well of power. Fantastic sound too. After a few miles we stopped and put the top down it it just got better. All and all a fantastic car.

Here's the drawback: Sticker was $203k and they were asking $25k over sticker which he was saying he "could could see if he can get taken care of".
Old 04-26-2007, 01:10 PM

add sales tax in there.. and $250,000+ out the door for an SL... drive it a few thousand miles and sell it for $125,000.. gotta love cars..

Originally Posted by Speed Thrills
Since I have my 06 SL65 on the way I decided to swing by the dealer and see if they had a 07 to compare. Of course when I inquire they start right in with the pitch.. " hmmm well we had just one but I think it's sold.. let me ask" Then a slew of calls back and forth and whispered conversations result in the salesman not even answering if it's available but gives me the "let's go down stairs and take a look".

All BS aside, there it was in all it's glory.. a 2007 Designo Graphite Edition SL65. I have to admit I have never seen this color on an SL let alone a 65 and it was stunning. Amazing dark metallic color with the designo dark custom leather interior. Only difference I noticed from the exterior were the aggressive gill type vents on the lower front aero of the car which looked great. Only thing different I noticed when I sat in it was the smooth brushed paddle shifters behind the wheel. Other than that I couldn't tell it from the 06.

A bit surprised he asked to take it for a spin, probably was my GT2 I pulled up in, I agreed and off we went. Great ride... nice strong power that doesn't give up like my CLS55 did and actually gives you the feel it's a bottomless well of power. Fantastic sound too. After a few miles we stopped and put the top down it it just got better. All and all a fantastic car.

Here's the drawback: Sticker was $203k and they were asking $25k over sticker which he was saying he "could could see if he can get taken care of".
Old 04-26-2007, 01:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
06 CLS55 w/ P030, 05 Jag S Type R, 05 TBird-68 Dodge Charger R/T-440 w/4speed I'm original owner
Fat cat car *****!

Your first problem is to remove that big letter "S" from your forehead. Second, wipe the saliva from your mouth. As soon as this is done, you immediately eliminated the dealer mark-up greed factor.

Lesson #1.

Always start your MB experience in the pre owed lot and leave your GT at home. After looking at pre owned, you tell the salesperson "too many miles". Then the experience shifts to the new car showroom. You must slowly work up to the climax of the SL 65 or you will be paying top dollar (s).

Don't even visit a MB dealer stating the options you are looking for. You will be condemed forever as a fat cat car *****!
Old 04-26-2007, 01:59 PM

Originally Posted by m_berman
Your first problem is to remove that big letter "S" from your forehead. Second, wipe the saliva from your mouth. As soon as this is done, you immediately eliminated the dealer mark-up greed factor.

Lesson #1.

Always start your MB experience in the pre owed lot and leave your GT at home. After looking at pre owned, you tell the salesperson "too many miles". Then the experience shifts to the new car showroom. You must slowly work up to the climax of the SL 65 or you will be paying top dollar (s).

Don't even visit a MB dealer stating the options you are looking for. You will be condemed forever as a fat cat car *****!

No need for purchasing lessons I do just fine. Maybe you didnt know my situation so I'll excuse your remark. I went there for a test drive only. My 65 is already bought and on the way to me so I couldnt care less if they were asking 200k over.. I got exactly what I went there for and acting the way I did got it for me. No way in the world they would let me take rubber off the tires of the lots most expensive car with out the look that I could afford it.
Old 04-26-2007, 02:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
AlabasterWhiteSL ObsidianBlackML
No need for purchasing lessons I do just fine. Maybe you didnt know my situation so I'll excuse your remark. I went there for a test drive only. My 65 is already bought and on the way to me so I couldnt care less if they were asking 200k over.. I got exactly what I went there for and acting the way I did got it for me. No way in the world they would let me take rubber off the tires of the lots most expensive car with out the look that I could afford it.

^ sad...but TRUE
Old 04-26-2007, 04:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

06 CLS55 w/ P030, 05 Jag S Type R, 05 TBird-68 Dodge Charger R/T-440 w/4speed I'm original owner
From my CLS 55 buying experience with the MB Dealer, I can not say enough good words about these guys. But they remain salespeople forever.

You did well, but didn't you test drive at the time of your purchase?

Some dealers are very protective about the test drives. There are several dealers in the so cal area that are set up for test drives of the 65's so long as you maintain some interest in buying it. In fact, you could probably get a test drive of a SLR. Other's I noticed, don't have any 65's, so you are not going to drive it under any circumstance.
Old 04-26-2007, 05:18 PM

Originally Posted by m_berman
From my CLS 55 buying experience with the MB Dealer, I can not say enough good words about these guys. But they remain salespeople forever.

You did well, but didn't you test drive at the time of your purchase?

Some dealers are very protective about the test drives. There are several dealers in the so cal area that are set up for test drives of the 65's so long as you maintain some interest in buying it. In fact, you could probably get a test drive of a SLR. Other's I noticed, don't have any 65's, so you are not going to drive it under any circumstance.
Yes, it does vary from dealer to dealer. This one is not so loose. I have driven an 05 and an 06 Renntech before my purchase, and besides the used price, is the reason I bought one. I was just curious about the cosmetic and performance changes of the 07.

P.S. If anyone has a pic of a SL65 or even a 55 with that Graphite Designo color please post. It looked insane.

Last edited by Speed Thrills; 04-26-2007 at 05:24 PM.
Old 04-26-2007, 06:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
AlabasterWhiteSL ObsidianBlackML
Yes, it does vary from dealer to dealer. This one is not so loose. I have driven an 05 and an 06 Renntech before my purchase, and besides the used price, is the reason I bought one. I was just curious about the cosmetic and performance changes of the 07.

P.S. If anyone has a pic of a SL65 or even a 55 with that Graphite Designo color please post. It looked insane.

Here are some pics of rebel823's 07 SL55 Designo Graphite....Speed Thrills..it really does make the look amazing (as if it weren't already )

https://mbworld.org/forums/showthrea...hlight=designo
Old 04-26-2007, 06:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Cee Fiddy Five
07 65s also have the new exhaust tip design I think, where they are combined into a angular shape. If that describes it all
Old 04-26-2007, 06:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Speed Thrills--

I test drove a 07 SL 65 about 2 weeks ago (BTW with the top down.. it does matter). Got it up to about 110 mph from a starnding start before I chickened out! It is an experience. Enjoy it.

I took a good look at the 07 since it was parked next to an 06. As far as I can remember the differences are:

1. The exhaust tips have a center common tube edge in lieu of 2 separate tips.
2. Front mesh brake intake grill on wrap around portion of front bumper
3. Center console covertable top control is redesigned
4. I think the brakes are upgraded to the '07 composites- 6 pod pistons in lieu of the 8 pod 06 version.
5. I think the grill is a little different.
Old 04-26-2007, 07:13 PM

Originally Posted by blazinginder
Here are some pics of rebel823's 07 SL55 Designo Graphite....Speed Thrills..it really does make the look amazing (as if it weren't already )

https://mbworld.org/forums/showthrea...hlight=designo
Thanks! What a great color.
Old 04-26-2007, 07:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C63S coupe, X5M
Thanks! What a great color.
The exterior colour is great, the interior though

It looks like normal charcoal leather...
Old 04-28-2007, 12:41 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
'14 ML BT
Sticker was $203k and they were asking $25k over sticker which he was saying he "could could see if he can get taken care of".
I looked at an SL65 at the MB Brooklands facility in the UK last week.
The sticker was 148k, that's sterling, so at todays' sad exchange rate a yank would pay 296k over there.

Same car, location steering wheel may be slightly disorienting but you get used to it.

The McLaren that you can get for low 400's over here on any day of the week ... $666k in their showroom. No, it's not a 722, just an ordinary McLaren.

Is this a great country or what?