SL55 AMG, SL63 AMG, SL65 AMG (R230) 2002 - 2011 (2003 US for SL55 and 2004 for the SL65)

SL55/63/65/R230 AMG: My decision is 360 spider

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-10-2007, 12:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 378 Likes on 244 Posts
'22 Alpina B7,'21 G63 Renntech obviously (wife), Wrangler(kids)
Originally Posted by LuvnHP
I recently had the same dilemna. I had a 2003 SL55 that was coming out of warranty and investigated the SL65. I had countless big issues with the SL, but it was an '03(first year) and would buy one again. The SL's are still some of the most beautiful vehicles on the road eventhough there are many of them and for the price difference(65) I prefer the 55. I ended up purchasing a 2007 997TT to compliment the SL55 and just traded both of them for a 2006 F430 Spider. I just traded my wife's 2007 GL450 for a BMW 335 convertible because she wanted the drop top and the GL450 was in to the dealer six times in seven months for major issues (oil consumption = 1qt per 800 miles / air suspension failure that left us stranded out of state). You will not regret the 360 purchase, but it is not an everyday driver. Pick the best condition F-car you can afford(belts done...) and bite the bullit even if it comes from a dealer. The SL55 is one of the more enjoyable cars I have owned in the last ten years and the F430 is "it". The Gallardo has heavier steering and the e-gear is not as polished as the F1 unit in the Ferrari and I did not get goose bumps when driving it, but it was a coupe. The Gallardo has more electonic luxuries, but I wasn't a big fan of the interior. My SL held its value well for several years and then the bottom fell out, so I think the 360 would depreciate less than a newer SL over the next few years. If you have not owned a newer Ferrari I think there is a great sense of occassion everytime I fire her up despite some earlier posts. I am probably Ferrari biased and don't realize it, but thought I would share my experience. I need to update my profile.
You are not biased,you are just reasonable (unlike some guys here).
Old 06-10-2007, 12:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
09' Ferrari Scuderia 16M Spider, 11' Mercedes SL63 AMG, 09' Mercedes S550
Ingenere,

Again, lets look at the math in your personal 360 Spider example. Using your numbers, you paid $200m, you sold for $295, and its currently worth $140 (midpoint of your range). Unless my calculators not functioning properly, you made a profit of 47%. The person who purchased your car realized a loss of 52%. Again, in no instance, do I see your claimed 70% losses.

In the interest of being impartial, I deliberately used two extreme automative pricing references. As you correctly state, DuPont Registry is overpriced. In the interest of fair representation, I balanced the analysis with eBay, which is generally considered to be the low end of the market. Of course, there is no pleasing you, because from your perspective, none of these are accurate.

As far as the Car & Driver testing is concerned, I chose this example (there are many others) because I believe that theirs is a professional and unbiased assessment of the 360's handling capabilities. Yet, you have completely tossed aside their analysis. Furthermore, you state (in response to my earlier comments) "Look...if you want a 360, you should get one". In several instances, I have made it perfectly clear that I currently own a 360. You support your claims by nothing more than stating that you have owned (past tense) these vehicles, therefore are objective. I support my analysis by factual third party data, and the fact that I own and drive these vehicles daily (present tense).

Anyway, I'm not making a lot of progress here. I think that its time to take the 360 on a Sunday morning canyon run, and leave this debate behind me. Good luck and happy driving!

Tim
Old 06-10-2007, 05:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Youngtimer
Originally Posted by IngenereAMG
Ferrari has lost the plot, in favor of making money hand over fist.

Whereas, Ferrari's were rare and exotic....they are now overproduced and understyled. Pick virtually any city and they are almost as common as muck. Its really a shame that the management has sold out and chosen to hang the horsey on everything from cars to underwear. Ferrari's were special. They were something that you read about....heard about.....but rarely saw. And when you did it was special. The driving experience was also very special. Sadly, neither exists anymore.
that's EXACTLY how i feel!

except about AMG, not ferrari.
Old 06-10-2007, 05:56 PM

2008 S63 w/perf. pack, 2002 Ferrari 360 F1 spider , 2007 Cadillac Escalade ESV (my Limo)
Originally Posted by IngenereAMG
We must be from 2 different planets!
They are holding OK now because they look close enough to the latest bling, the 430, that there are still enough people who will spring for that car (supply and demand). But when Ferrari introduces a radically different car, all the jewelry and hairy chests will run for the newest design. I've watched it for the past 20 years.
Ingenere, first of all, have you noticed that not too many people agree with you. doesn't that usually make you wonder if maybe your position could possibly, be the slight smallest bit wrong? Maybe it is partially because for some reason in this and previous posts you seem bitter in your characterising of Ferrari owners. Jewelry, Hairy chests ? Come on lets not turn this debate into a name calling match. Oh and running for the newest design when it comes out. Isn't that the nature of all highend car buyers?
Old 06-10-2007, 06:17 PM

2008 S63 w/perf. pack, 2002 Ferrari 360 F1 spider , 2007 Cadillac Escalade ESV (my Limo)
Okay, what is clear is that we all have our differant opinion, but the only person who seems to be way off base is Ingenere. So Ingenere if you stick by your opinion fine. But I think most people know that the SL is a fabulous car ( I am driving one now) but I have also owned a 360 and me and many others seem to get the fact that the 360 is a more exotic, sporty and rare car. I drove them both back to back over the past week and I can tell you this - I felt a thrill in the Ferrari that I didn't feel in the SL55. All the overpriced junk is nonsense, there is a reason why a five year old 360 sells for more than a one year old SL65. Let me make this clear without the talk of maintenance, what used to be, 0-60 times, quarter miles, depreciation and all that. An SL is a fabulous car, but not in the league of a Ferrari, a Lambo, or an AM and never will be. It is a luxury car with a sports car attitude and AMG has taken it even closer to a sports car, but an exotic sports car it is not. IMO
Old 06-10-2007, 06:20 PM

Originally Posted by absent
SL65 will be faster of course and will impress you initially.
Novelty will wear off pretty quick though and you will feel like driving just another Benz,although much more powerful then the rest.
You will not have that sense of occassion,that feeling of driving something special as you would driving a 360.
If you are looking for a very fast and fairly comfortable appliance to get you to work then ,by all means,choose the SL65,if you are looking for something that would stir your soul every time you get behind the wheel,get the Ferrari.
I have SL,it's my daily driver,so that should give me some credibility here.
Absent, I've never met anyone, who's opinions were so close to mines. Always good to hear from you buddy.
Old 06-10-2007, 06:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
SL55 AMG
I get my Ferrari fix from an older F355, a great weekend car but certainly not a daily driver and much as Ferrari would like you to believe otherwise, I think even the newer cars are the same. I haven't driven an F430, maybe it's different but it wouldn't be my first choice for every day driving.

My SL55 has settled down and is fine, but the noise gets to you after a while and good though it may be on the straights, it loses its composure on the bends. I think of the car more as an appliance than a driver's car these days.

Which leaves the 911, bullet-proof and dependable. You might find the styling dated - for many, that's the attraction - but a 997TT has to be interesting. 40 - 60 mph in 1 second? That's interesting to me...
Old 06-10-2007, 07:41 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
355 F1 Spider & ......V12 w220.176
I took my 355 spider out for an event at the local Ferrari dealer today.

I had a minimum of 15 people snapping picts from their cell phones.

I also had a few ricers that wanted to play. I could have done without them, but I don't mind the picture takers at all.
Attached Thumbnails My decision is 360 spider-355-rear2-medium-.jpg  
Old 06-10-2007, 08:10 PM

Originally Posted by blueSL
I get my Ferrari fix from an older F355, a great weekend car but certainly not a daily driver and much as Ferrari would like you to believe otherwise, I think even the newer cars are the same. I haven't driven an F430, maybe it's different but it wouldn't be my first choice for every day driving.

My SL55 has settled down and is fine, but the noise gets to you after a while and good though it may be on the straights, it loses its composure on the bends. I think of the car more as an appliance than a driver's car these days.

Which leaves the 911, bullet-proof and dependable. You might find the styling dated - for many, that's the attraction - but a 997TT has to be interesting. 40 - 60 mph in 1 second? That's interesting to me...
To tell you the truth if it was for a daily driver I'd keep the SL55, I highly doubt any Ferrari could be an every day driver. I haven't driven a 997tt and you are so right it would be the perfect car, but from my 996tt ownership experiance it felt very much like a special drive, just didn't feel like a special car to me.
Old 06-10-2007, 08:13 PM

Originally Posted by LetsJet
I took my 355 spider out for an event at the local Ferrari dealer today.

I had a minimum of 15 people snapping picts from their cell phones.

I also had a few ricers that wanted to play. I could have done without them, but I don't mind the picture takers at all.
That is so funny because I became curious when I realized no one took pics of the SL55, but on any given day, i must have had 5-10 people taking pics of the Ferrari. hmmmmmmmm I wonder why? Is it because they don't see them very often? I think so. Beautiful car by the way. My buddy just bought a 95
Old 06-10-2007, 08:16 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
355 F1 Spider & ......V12 w220.176
Originally Posted by xecution
That is so funny because I became curious when I realized no one took pics of the SL55, but on any given day, i must have had 5-10 people taking pics of the Ferrari. hmmmmmmmm I wonder why? Is it because they don't see them very often? I think so. Beautiful car by the way. My buddy just bought a 95
I think so too.....

Thanks

She has 295's on the rear and handles great. I saw little bit of everything at the dealership today. They have 4 360s for sale.