SL55 AMG, SL63 AMG, SL65 AMG (R230) 2002 - 2011 (2003 US for SL55 and 2004 for the SL65)

SL55/63/65/R230 AMG: Renntech pulley gone bad (need advice)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-14-2007, 10:19 PM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Renntech pulley gone bad (need advice)

Hello everyone, I purchased my SL55 with the renntech pulley and ECU already installed on the car with a couple of other mods. Well about a month ago, 1 of the pulleys went bad, I think it was the A/C, and the dealership replaced this under warranty. Now, last week I went out and started the car and I heard some engine noise that wasn't there before, opened the hood and the noise was coming from the supercharger. I took the car to the dealership, I got a call back, and the service rep. told me it was the supercharger pulley, and they would replace it under warranty, and also this would be the last time warranty would cover my pulleys because of the aftermarket parts. So, I asked if I can have that pulley back, and maybe send it back to renntech, and he said no, they have to keep the part since it's being replaced under warranty.

Please excuse me if this sounds stupid, but I am sure that they are replacing the pulley with a stock pulley, is the ECU programmed to the renntech pulley? Will this have any effect on the ECU?
The renntech mods were purchased/installed april/2006 by the previous owner.
Do I have to purchase another renntech pulley at full price?
Old 09-14-2007, 10:34 PM

Bentley Flying Spur, CL550
To my knowledge the pulley Renntech and other aftermarket companies sell is the crankshaft pulley not the supercharger pulley.

So if they are changing the supercharger pulley then this part is OEM not from Renntech.

Something similar happened to my s55 but it was the bearings behind the pulley that was bad. They actually replaced THE WHOLE supercharger

BTW if you ask for damaged parts from a repair, they should give it to you. I ALWAYS get my parts back. Its your car anyways.
Old 09-14-2007, 10:35 PM

SL65 AMG
I dont think they are touching any rt parts. If I recall RT is like most other tuners and only changes the crank pulley not the ac, sc or any other pulley. If that pulley went bad I dont think your car would have gone any where with out being towed in. I think the dealer is blaming the part failures on the upgraded rt pulley but dont think they pulled it off and put on a stock crank pulley.
Old 09-14-2007, 10:44 PM
Almost a Member!

oh ok, I thought the pulley from renntech was the s/c pulley. I just checked my paper work, the first pulley they replaced was the Idler pulley. When the idler pulley went out, I did have the car towed to dealership because I could not drive it.

Thanks for the quick replies guys
Old 09-15-2007, 08:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

EVOTECH Mercedes AMG
Originally Posted by noop
Hello everyone, I purchased my SL55 with the renntech pulley and ECU already installed on the car with a couple of other mods. Well about a month ago, 1 of the pulleys went bad, I think it was the A/C, and the dealership replaced this under warranty. Now, last week I went out and started the car and I heard some engine noise that wasn't there before, opened the hood and the noise was coming from the supercharger. I took the car to the dealership, I got a call back, and the service rep. told me it was the supercharger pulley, and they would replace it under warranty, and also this would be the last time warranty would cover my pulleys because of the aftermarket parts. So, I asked if I can have that pulley back, and maybe send it back to renntech, and he said no, they have to keep the part since it's being replaced under warranty.

Please excuse me if this sounds stupid, but I am sure that they are replacing the pulley with a stock pulley, is the ECU programmed to the renntech pulley? Will this have any effect on the ECU?
The renntech mods were purchased/installed april/2006 by the previous owner.
Do I have to purchase another renntech pulley at full price?

IF you are concern about your ECU, you can always send the ECU to us and we will verify if you have the Renntech/Evotech software.
Old 09-16-2007, 12:39 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
SL55AMG, Ferrari 348, Ferrari Testarossa, Ferrari F40, Ferrari Mondial t, Ducati 916, Indycar
We have different programming for those who wish to have the stock pulley vs those who have the ECU/pulley upgrade.

I have tried the pulley/ECU sofware in my car, that uses the stock pulley and it wasn't very good. At least with our ECU work there will be a difference. I can't speak for the Rentech work.
Old 09-16-2007, 02:19 AM
Almost a Member!

Thanks for the heads up guys... I'll have to check on what exactly is being replaced on monday, and I will go from there.

Eyzer