SL55 AMG, SL63 AMG, SL65 AMG (R230) 2002 - 2011 (2003 US for SL55 and 2004 for the SL65)

SL55/63/65/R230 AMG: Powerloss question for SL55 owners

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-05-2008, 05:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SL55, Monaro, 08 Blade
Unhappy Powerloss question for SL55 owners

I was out playing in the car just now and noticed on a few occasions when I floored the throttle I had very little power almost as if I had unbolted the supercharger, then a few minutes later after normal running speeds, I would put my foot down again and everything would be ok.

The roads were a little damp but I didn't notice any traction control lights, the car drove ok but on occasions was considerably down on power. No other warning lights on the dashborad to say otherwise.

I tried at different speeds ranging from 30 mph onwards and even played with the gearbox settings. (CSM)

Has anybody else experienced anything like this ?
Old 01-05-2008, 06:45 PM

none
Originally Posted by Demon Hill
I was out playing in the car just now and noticed on a few occasions when I floored the throttle I had very little power almost as if I had unbolted the supercharger, then a few minutes later after normal running speeds, I would put my foot down again and everything would be ok.

The roads were a little damp but I didn't notice any traction control lights, the car drove ok but on occasions was considerably down on power. No other warning lights on the dashborad to say otherwise.

I tried at different speeds ranging from 30 mph onwards and even played with the gearbox settings. (CSM)

Has anybody else experienced anything like this ?
A common problem with the 55K engines. All I can say is I hope you got warranty

What your car is most likely expeirencing is a supercharger shut off due to a broken/flawed *IC Pump*. When I first got my E55 it did the same thing, on some occasions it would accelerate like a bat out of hill and othertimes it couldn't pull away from a C230. Go to the dealer and insist some tech take a ride with you around the block and let him see firsthand.

You'll drop off your car and pick it up a day or two later with a brand new IC Pump and a can of whup a$$!
Old 01-05-2008, 07:26 PM

2005 SL55 AMG
yep...most likely just a faulty IC pump....
Old 01-05-2008, 09:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
SL55AMG, Ferrari 348, Ferrari Testarossa, Ferrari F40, Ferrari Mondial t, Ducati 916, Indycar
That sounds like bad IC pump symptoms, for sure.

If your car is out of warranty or you just want to improve the supercharger cooling, there are many upgraded IC pumps available. We have them, as well as others. If you are a DIY kind of guy, it is an easy job.

Let me know if i can help.
Old 01-06-2008, 02:09 AM

SL55, Monaro, 08 Blade
I never thought of intercooler problems, fortunately the car does have Mercedes warranty so I will give the dealer a call.

Many thanks to everybody for replying
Old 01-08-2008, 06:30 AM

sl55 AMG
Originally Posted by IngenereAMG
That sounds like bad IC pump symptoms, for sure.

If your car is out of warranty or you just want to improve the supercharger cooling, there are many upgraded IC pumps available. We have them, as well as others. If you are a DIY kind of guy, it is an easy job.

Let me know if i can help.
How much for a good pump? Im in a RHD UK car if that makes any difference?

Does a serious pump upgrade mprove performance? Ive been seeing info about slr style intercoolers improving flow by 40% which is serious!
Old 01-08-2008, 11:03 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
SL55AMG, Ferrari 348, Ferrari Testarossa, Ferrari F40, Ferrari Mondial t, Ducati 916, Indycar
Originally Posted by Chris-W
How much for a good pump? Im in a RHD UK car if that makes any difference?

Does a serious pump upgrade mprove performance? Ive been seeing info about slr style intercoolers improving flow by 40% which is serious!
PM sent......
Old 01-21-2008, 02:15 AM

SL55, Monaro, 08 Blade
Powerloss update.

The problem was diagnosed as the intercooler pump. (I probably helped the technician by giving him 8 pages of Forum feedback)

The part has arrived at the dealership and the car will be booked in soon.

Thanks everybody

Steve
Old 02-07-2008, 05:41 AM

SL55 (03) Porsche 993 Turbo Range Rover
Hi guys,

I have a 2003 SL55 and I think I am having the same problem, suddenly no power in the car and it drives like a normal SL500 or even a SL350. I am out of warranty now so if it's an IC pump problem will it cost me a lot? Also is it worth it now for me to upgrade the pump if so which one do you guys recommend?

Thanks
Old 02-07-2008, 08:27 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
'03 SL55
Originally Posted by Q8SL55
Hi guys,

I have a 2003 SL55 and I think I am having the same problem, suddenly no power in the car and it drives like a normal SL500 or even a SL350. I am out of warranty now so if it's an IC pump problem will it cost me a lot? Also is it worth it now for me to upgrade the pump if so which one do you guys recommend?

Thanks
There are a handful of threads on this topic posted in the W211 E55 forum. If you do a search there you should find quite a bit of info.

From what I recall, the MB pump is made by Bosch. It's pricey (multiple hundred $) but is a direct plug-in. The discontinued Ford Lightning apparently uses the same Bosch unit and is less than 1/2 the price but you have to mate the electrical fittings. Johnson Marine makes two different pumps that people have used instead of the Bosch, the smaller CM030 and the larger CM090. The CM030 apparently fits into the same space as the Bosch but the CM090 doesn't. You'd have to mate electrical connections for both.

I don't have any first hand recommendations...my pump was replaced by MB under warranty.

HTH.

Last edited by jmf003; 02-07-2008 at 08:47 AM.
Old 02-08-2008, 03:52 AM

SL55 (03) Porsche 993 Turbo Range Rover
Originally Posted by jmf003
There are a handful of threads on this topic posted in the W211 E55 forum. If you do a search there you should find quite a bit of info.

From what I recall, the MB pump is made by Bosch. It's pricey (multiple hundred $) but is a direct plug-in. The discontinued Ford Lightning apparently uses the same Bosch unit and is less than 1/2 the price but you have to mate the electrical fittings. Johnson Marine makes two different pumps that people have used instead of the Bosch, the smaller CM030 and the larger CM090. The CM030 apparently fits into the same space as the Bosch but the CM090 doesn't. You'd have to mate electrical connections for both.

I don't have any first hand recommendations...my pump was replaced by MB under warranty.

HTH.

Thank you, will be taking it to the dealer soon I just hope they dont charge me a lot
Old 08-01-2008, 11:17 PM

SL55
Originally Posted by Q8SL55
Thank you, will be taking it to the dealer soon I just hope they dont charge me a lot
just curious how much did it cost to replace that IC unit through the MB dealer?