SL55 AMG, SL63 AMG, SL65 AMG (R230) 2002 - 2011 (2003 US for SL55 and 2004 for the SL65)

SL55/63/65/R230 AMG: Seeking advice and any input on a purchase (sorry it's a long post)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-25-2008, 06:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Automobiles with 4-wheels
Seeking advice and any input on a purchase (sorry it's a long post)

Hello Benz owners!

I’m hoping to obtain input from any of you, because I figure this is probably the best place, to seek advice, in regards to an MB purchase.
Purchase type: Corporate lease
Possible vehicles:

2009 MB SL 550: white exterior – red interior: only down side seems to be the lack of power compared to the 600 and 63 AMG (and when I say power, I’m only interested in the 0-60 sprints).

2009 MB SL600: white exterior – red interior: only down side for me, seems to be the higher price tag, less MPG and I could be wrong but it seems, that the larger engine would have higher maintenance costs down the road, should I end up purchasing the car at the end of the lease and keeping it long term.

2008 BMW M6 Convertible: silver exterior – grey soft top – maroon interior: I’m worried that the SMG, will not be as easy and care free to use, in auto mode as a true automatic? Styling when top is down, is just not all that sexy to me. May have the raw sports car feel, of something like a Dodge Viper, rather than a luxury GT cruiser like the SL’s?

2008 BMW 650i Convertible: silver exterior – grey soft top – maroon interior: Again not so sexy, top down and then back to the power issue like the SL550.

Living here in Malibu Ca, I have a thing for convertibles. I just can’t picture not driving something that can’t open up. Business has been very good, and I’m ready to step up, a few levels (currently: automatic fully loaded Nissan 350Z Roadster, which has been nothing but very good times).

I purchased my 350Z (Daytona blue – blue soft top), just as they came out in early 2004. I fell in love with it right away. What added to my love for the car was the fact that I couldn’t go out, a single day without both women and men, giving the thumbs up, asking questions and even taking pictures back in 2004. Yes I really enjoyed the attention and now that it has long faded, and I’m a bit older (late 20’s) and I’ve moved up in the business world; I think it’s time for a German car. Ha!

Have never owned a MB or BMW for that matter, but I’m sure to own one or the other, in the next few months.

I’m used to having small trunk space in my Z, so I’m sure an SL would be no problem for me. I’m not into racing, although every once in a while, I find myself doing the street light drag race sprint. I wouldn’t mind having enough power to win those little sprints, more often than not, which is the extent of my desire to have more horses.
My main focus now is the image which is necessary in my business, most of all because I have the face of a 19-year old. I’m a serious businessman and the look of success, is necessary and desired. I figure the SL successful image factor, is much greater than that of the BMW 6 series?

I’m not looking for a true sports car, which is why the 911 is off my list. I want a sporty, luxury filled, gadget filled GT with the image factor and it MUST be a convertible. Any input you could share, about any of the above vehicles, would be much appreciated. Spending less than 150k is also part of my decision. Also about the M6, I understand that I cannot get a true automatic. And so I’m trying to figure out if the SMG, in automatic mode could truly give me the ease and comfort of an automatic, which is something I am used to and want very much so (again, not looking for a sports car, but the power of one, to do quick sprints, is desired).

One last thing: Have any of you put down deposits for your MB vehicle purchases? I’ve been told that the 2009 SL550 and 600 will be available in mid-May 2008 and so I’m wondering if I should walk into a dealer and put down a deposit and place an order now, in hopes of obtaining one in May-June? I would have added the SL63 to my list but it looks as if it will not be available until early to mid 2009.

Thanks for your time guys.
Old 01-25-2008, 07:14 PM
WSH
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2010 CL65
Rndm obsvns....

Have a Mar08 build SL63 through my usual dealer...SL63 is apparently arriving at same time as other '09 SLs....

Non-AMG SL's are typically the stuff of either post-menopausal socialites and/or >75yo guys....even people who aren't interested in cars/driving (i.e., prob 90%+ of buyers of $150K+ cars) simply want cooler looks/more tech-oriented image of AMGs, rather than non-AMGs or AMG-look cars....

Even in congested 30MPH Westside traffic, AMG's have more street/valet pkg presence....exhaust note, more impressive brake calipers, etc...(even dim-witted LA chicks know which color Porsche calipers are the $10K optional PCCBs...and which Ferraris have the ?$20K optional CCM brakes...and which have the puny std girlie brakes)....

BTW, stoplt drag races???? Isn't that what ricers, who work at BestBuy and live w/Mommy, use to demonstrate their transgender street cred and vast driving skills??? Prob should get new M3 if stoplt races and being the envy of the BestBuy workforce is the objective...

If predicting status value of cars, would figure out what car-oriented senior execs/founders in one's industry drive....my sense is LA's Westside is much like SiliconValley, where many senior execs/founders drive some latest-gen blk/slvr AMG CL/SL/S....

BMW is a lower pricing zip code vs MB....simply lacks much of a buyer base for $100K++ cars....hmmm....

Not sure white cars convey seriousness in any competitive, non-entertainment industry...(and suspect in entmt industry, most execs/owners drive blk or slvr cars...."talent" may drive various flamboyant-colored cars, as need to keep up w/the latest rapper fashions, right?)...

Who keeps any car more than 2yrs anyway? Would argue that, just like smartphones, any car has a <2yr lifespan of acceptable use in image-conscious, rapidly-obsoleting places like CA/NYC....
Old 01-25-2008, 09:07 PM

'08 Audi R8, '09 SL63, '10 GLK, '10 ML550
I have an April '08 build date for a '09 SL63. It will arrive at the dealership the first of June '08.
Old 01-25-2008, 10:28 PM

M Cars, old Corvettes, other old Detroit Muscle, etc.
Originally Posted by WSH
Not sure white cars convey seriousness in any competitive, non-entertainment industry...(and suspect in entmt industry, most execs/owners drive blk or slvr cars...."talent" may drive various flamboyant-colored cars, as need to keep up w/the latest rapper fashions, right?)...

Who keeps any car more than 2yrs anyway? Would argue that, just like smartphones, any car has a <2yr lifespan of acceptable use in image-conscious, rapidly-obsoleting places like CA/NYC....
Suggest fully restored mid-60's Corvette Sting Ray convertibles if you really want that special image of success near Malibu .... many of the captains of industry and and major talent are driving them from Santa Barbara to Santa Monica.

Any Joe Schmoe with a credit line can lease a MBZ or BMW.

On the other hand, to cash purchase a $150,000 fully restored classic Sting Ray will subtly, yet clearly, state that you're probably a player in whatever the hippest industry of the area may be at the time.

All this stuff you see on TV showing celebs driving Audis, Rovers, MBZ, BMWs, etc is only a fraction of their stable reserved for use when the Paps are out snapping photos near the clubs (and of course, all the celeb managers and all the car manufacturers will deny to high heaven that there is any payola going on to steer celeb clients to purchase certain makes or models).

Rather, drive by an on-location shoot sometime and you'll usually see one or two classic cars parked by the stars or directors trailers with some flunky polishing them.

I could not drive more than a few blocks when I lived for 20 years in Santa Barbara and LA without drawing attention (regardless of whether I was in a red, blue, white, black or silver '63-'67). First question from most ladies was "are you in movies or a director or a producer?" .... First question from the guys was "does it have a big block engine?"

I retired last year, and escaped to the Pacific Northwest with my cars. Even up here the cars still get way too much attention, except the women are not the ..... uhm, how should I put this .... uhm ..... are not the attractive aspiring actress types hoping to barter their way to stardom

Last edited by RRod; 01-25-2008 at 11:43 PM.
Old 01-26-2008, 12:18 AM
Banned

06 SL55
I don't understand why you would even consider an SL550 when you could get the SL600?

Get the SL600 or perhaps a Bentley Continental GT Convertible? The SL63 will be released in 09? I am contemplating the new SL AMG, CL63 or DB9 I prefer an the SL63, but I don't really want to wait until 2009.

Where did you get that info from? My dealer doesn't have a clue.

Originally Posted by WSH
Rndm obsvns....

Have a Mar08 build SL63 through my usual dealer...SL63 is apparently arriving at same time as other '09 SLs....

Non-AMG SL's are typically the stuff of either post-menopausal socialites and/or >75yo guys....even people who aren't interested in cars/driving (i.e., prob 90%+ of buyers of $150K+ cars) simply want cooler looks/more tech-oriented image of AMGs, rather than non-AMGs or AMG-look cars....

Even in congested 30MPH Westside traffic, AMG's have more street/valet pkg presence....exhaust note, more impressive brake calipers, etc...(even dim-witted LA chicks know which color Porsche calipers are the $10K optional PCCBs...and which Ferraris have the ?$20K optional CCM brakes...and which have the puny std girlie brakes)....

BTW, stoplt drag races???? Isn't that what ricers, who work at BestBuy and live w/Mommy, use to demonstrate their transgender street cred and vast driving skills??? Prob should get new M3 if stoplt races and being the envy of the BestBuy workforce is the objective...

If predicting status value of cars, would figure out what car-oriented senior execs/founders in one's industry drive....my sense is LA's Westside is much like SiliconValley, where many senior execs/founders drive some latest-gen blk/slvr AMG CL/SL/S....

BMW is a lower pricing zip code vs MB....simply lacks much of a buyer base for $100K++ cars....hmmm....

WSH,

What do you think of the M6 and CLS AMG cars, I'm curious. Too plebeian?

Last edited by Goyard; 01-26-2008 at 12:28 AM.
Old 01-26-2008, 04:05 AM

04 SL55, 05 NSX, 05 996TT, 03 RR HSE, '08 S550
SL63 - problem solved.
Old 01-26-2008, 12:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
CLK55, CL500, Q45
I have both an M3 and an M5 with SMG at my dissposal
whenever needed, and am familiar with the gearbox. If
you are looking to drive the car in automatic mode, I would
advise against it. I find the automatic mode is there as a
convienence when needed, but not meant to be used all
the time. It is very jerky, and gets annoying quickly. A
pre-owned SL65 might be your best bet, and they can
be had at good prices now. Find one that is a CPO and enjoy
luxury, and sportiness when you need it.
Old 01-26-2008, 01:21 PM

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
2019 E63s AMG Sedan, 2021 Range Rover Autobiography "50", 2023 Bentley GTC Speed
Originally Posted by WSH
Rndm obsvns....

Good answer
Old 01-26-2008, 01:23 PM

M Cars, old Corvettes, other old Detroit Muscle, etc.
Originally Posted by rajah996
I have both an M3 and an M5 with SMG at my dissposal
whenever needed, and am familiar with the gearbox. If
you are looking to drive the car in automatic mode, I would
advise against it. I find the automatic mode is there as a
convienence when needed, but not meant to be used all
the time. It is very jerky, and gets annoying quickly. A
pre-owned SL65 might be your best bet, and they can
be had at good prices now. Find one that is a CPO and enjoy
luxury, and sportiness when you need it.
I agree if you decide to go with an MBZ
Old 01-26-2008, 03:10 PM

06 SL65, 08 S550, 08 Range Rover SuperCharged
I agree with the SL65. And it just so happens that my 06 is for sale if you're interested. Renntech ecu/tcu, intercooler, and PS2's on HRE M40's all around.
Old 01-26-2008, 04:06 PM

09 335i 03 CLK55 AMG
What's your price range?