SL55 AMG, SL63 AMG, SL65 AMG (R230) 2002 - 2011 (2003 US for SL55 and 2004 for the SL65)

SL55/63/65/R230 AMG: I Want Black Dash + Interior

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-01-2008, 05:20 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
SL 55 AMG
I Want Black Dash + Interior

Is there a way to change the color of my dashbord ? its creamy grey and i want it to be BLACK also want my door panels/ steeringwheel done too .

someone said theres a spray paint they use for that?.....sounds tackey but ppl said it works , Ide think it would peel off know ?

is this true or do they have to take it all out and put new black material all over ?

how much will this cost me ...

anyone ?
Old 03-01-2008, 05:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Several MB's Superperformance MK III Cobra
Originally Posted by G_KATS
Is there a way to change the color of my dashbord ? its creamy grey and i want it to be BLACK also want my door panels/ steeringwheel done too .

someone said theres a spray paint they use for that?.....sounds tackey but ppl said it works , Ide think it would peel off know ?

is this true or do they have to take it all out and put new black material all over ?

how much will this cost me ...

anyone ?
Be careful with the spray on dye. If not applied properly it will scratch off or peel off. Also on certain types of plastics/vinyl it will not work at all. To get the dash and door panels reupholstered is going to cost a bundle but that is the way to go.
Old 03-02-2008, 06:41 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
SL 55 AMG
how much ruffly ?
Old 03-02-2008, 09:48 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
SL55, CL55, Range Rover, Lexus LX470
Originally Posted by G_KATS
how much ruffly ?
I guess it depends on who actually is doing the job, I know you can buy the steering wheel for about $400.00 with the new paddles on it and if u want you can also get it wood grained. Check the forum I saw the steering wheel somewhere I just can't remember were. I think you'll probably regret spraying dye on your beast, u"ll want to cut ur own throat it will look like Sh_t. My opinion leave it alone or sell it and buy another one with the color combo that you like. Some leather dye's need to be baked at high temp for it to look authentic I don't think your willing to experiment chief, that's my two cents. Good Luck with your project.
Old 08-02-2010, 04:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
W210 E300 turbo diesel
like to get it done too !!

think the hardest part is taking out the whole dash !?
anybody knows how to remove the front dash ? ( and rear) ?

definitly don't want to spray inside the car,....

did see the neighbors friend bmw,.... did not have a chance to ask,
but it almost looked stock.

now in the front, with the glare it's also a safety thing .
yeah buying the car with all the perfect specs be nice, but not an option for most,...

there are some carpets and covers, to cut the urge, but having rags in the dash, does not look that good,....

did get a dash from the junkyard, to try it, vinyl dye spray works ok, but need to be careful to spray only very thin coats, not to get it running, later some wax/oil polish,
should make it look stock / new, do think, they be still some glare, but 100x better visibility.
for the rear dash / carpet , still looking for the right spray.
any suggestions ?

once that is out of the way, considering, 2-tone leather seats,
and side airbags.

for the steering,.... to change to sport with labor , be $1k,.... too much for an old car,
now for the steering, I can see it, to cover everything, and spray it inside.
for the handle, don't know how that would feel or hold up, but for the center column ,
that be alright.

for right now, I want the front dash black, it's an hazard with the reflections, I mean even in day time, always seeing the dash, is no fun, and want to get rid of my black tshirt on the dash !!!!

specs: W210 E300TD dessert silver with tan leather/dash