SL55 AMG, SL63 AMG, SL65 AMG (R230) 2002 - 2011 (2003 US for SL55 and 2004 for the SL65)

SL55/63/65/R230 AMG: 2009 Vette ZR1 or 2009 Benz SL65???

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-22-2008, 10:25 PM

Received 37 Likes on 25 Posts
2018 C63SA Cabriolet
Originally Posted by c2jones
C6Jeff,

The thread once had its better content. Some strong disagreement, but at least some real substance (before all the trivialities plagued what was left of intelligible discussion). Some unfair attacks against Corvette that I defended to the (bitter) end, literally. I had the stamina and documented counterpoints so I made sure Corvette in general, ZR1 in particular, were defensed against old stereotypes and misconceptions, respectfully. (I saw your other posts looking for more postings. Probably accustomed to CF?)

I'm strongly considering the list for ZR1, though we have an SL on order (for wife) and I'm waiting for the new facelifted CLS. Also GL550 as gift to another.

Good to have another Corvette guy here. Again, this thread was once was better balanced than it is now, but never truly balanced as you might have experienced elsewhere. (The forum overall does have some gems, though.)
Yes, I've spent time at CF but now that the decision has been made to trade the Vette for a CLS63, I'm pretty much staying away from there. Too many flag-wavers and jingoists.

This wasn't a lame *** thread to begin with but it sure seems to have degenerated fast.

To put my 2 cents in, IMO the best buy - even with having to pay a premium to get one - would be the ZR1. The SL65 will be worth 50% of its MSRP in less than 2 years whereas the ZR1 will still be sought after and will retain its value (witness the Ford GT).

All that crap about "German engineering" and debating quality and reliability is nonsense because I doubt seriously that the original poster will keep either car more than a few years, certainly not after the warranty runs out (who would other than a collector?).

You can pick up an SL65 all day long for a song but the same will never be said about a limited production supercar like the ZR1. With CAFE regulations looming, such cars will become dinosaurs so get em while you can!
Old 05-22-2008, 11:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
05 E500
Originally Posted by C6Jeff
Yes, I've spent time at CF but now that the decision has been made to trade the Vette for a CLS63, I'm pretty much staying away from there. Too many flag-wavers and jingoists.
There is both good and bad in both forums. Don't be under the false perception that there won't be flag-wavers here, too; they'll just be waving different flags. And you'll witness every and all antics you ever have there (or anywhere), here as well. This thread should be proof of that, sadly. Simply spending bigger money on MB's will not establish the mentality to an upper level. In fact, some get their MB's to hide something else deeper within. Roundabout way of saying it still boils down to the person, not the price or label of car. That said, again, there are some bright minds here in every respect.

This wasn't a lame *** thread to begin with but it sure seems to have degenerated fast.
Sabotaged, undermined and hijacked by the types inferred above.

To put my 2 cents in, IMO the best buy - even with having to pay a premium to get one - would be the ZR1. The SL65 will be worth 50% of its MSRP in less than 2 years whereas the ZR1 will still be sought after and will retain its value (witness the Ford GT).
Concur. ZR1 has already gathered a cool mint (auction novelty) and will surely be a collectible.

All that crap about "German engineering" and debating quality and reliability is nonsense because I doubt seriously that the original poster will keep either car more than a few years, certainly not after the warranty runs out (who would other than a collector?).
The original poster was hardly ever a part of the thread anyway. Just an impulse question/thread he started. He came back in long after the fact and admitted it was never really a choice with the MB quality bit.

As far as the quality/reliability angle, way too many here are caught in the distant past (on Corvettes only being good for straight lines, etc.) and others were totally misrepresenting the facts on the matter of build, etc. I felt there should be a voice (I was not alone at first) for reason and balance. But the juveniles found their way in like termites and deteriorated any semblance of an otherwise (at least) stimulating discussion. Then, when countered, they could not handle being put in their places and claimed disgust with the thread, yet never left. Now, you see the remnants of this still. Reviewing the thread reveals all.

You can pick up an SL65 all day long for a song but the same will never be said about a limited production supercar like the ZR1. With CAFE regulations looming, such cars will become dinosaurs so get em while you can!
Valid assessment.
Old 05-29-2008, 09:03 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
CLS63, GLK350
Originally Posted by c2jones
There is both good and bad in both forums. Don't be under the false perception that there won't be flag-wavers here, too; they'll just be waving different flags. And you'll witness every and all antics you ever have there (or anywhere), here as well. This thread should be proof of that, sadly. Simply spending bigger money on MB's will not establish the mentality to an upper level. In fact, some get their MB's to hide something else deeper within. Roundabout way of saying it still boils down to the person, not the price or label of car. That said, again, there are some bright minds here in every respect.

Sabotaged, undermined and hijacked by the types inferred above.

Concur. ZR1 has already gathered a cool mint (auction novelty) and will surely be a collectible.

The original poster was hardly ever a part of the thread anyway. Just an impulse question/thread he started. He came back in long after the fact and admitted it was never really a choice with the MB quality bit.

As far as the quality/reliability angle, way too many here are caught in the distant past (on Corvettes only being good for straight lines, etc.) and others were totally misrepresenting the facts on the matter of build, etc. I felt there should be a voice (I was not alone at first) for reason and balance. But the juveniles found their way in like termites and deteriorated any semblance of an otherwise (at least) stimulating discussion. Then, when countered, they could not handle being put in their places and claimed disgust with the thread, yet never left. Now, you see the remnants of this still. Reviewing the thread reveals all.

Valid assessment.
can't let this stupid thread die and let c2 continue with his superior plastic car bs can anyone help him with his delusion
Old 05-29-2008, 10:33 AM

05 E500
Originally Posted by SL2003driver
can't let this stupid thread die and let c2 continue with his superior plastic car bs can anyone help him with his delusion
There you have it. Very clear who's dragging this thing out.

They claim disgust with the thread yet won't leave, and now egg on others to join in the fray well after the fact. These types live for this kind of thing, yet label this of me simply because I felt compelled to offer a balanced, fair approach and held on steadfastly with such efforts.

I can appreciate various makes and see no reason for single make ownership. Many in this forum have many makes of cars and there is nothing to apologize for. The better parts of this forum are when we can compare thoughts evenhandedly and openly.

At this point, this is all well beneath me - the subject matter has not been front and center (from quality people) in some time now anyway.
Old 05-29-2008, 10:37 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2009 C63
And there we have it - so much for plastic vs. metal:

Old 05-29-2008, 12:42 PM

2008 BMW 335i Coupe (Six-speed Manual)
Why don't u just not *******g read or post anything in the thread then.

CFRP is technically a plastic if you go by its full name BTW. I'm sure the SL65Black Series is going to use some.
Old 05-29-2008, 01:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
2005 E55 AMG - - 2005 SL55 AMG - - - - - - 2006 SLK55 AMG - - - - - - 2013 Ducati Diavel AMG -
AMGFREAK

Originally Posted by AMGFREAK
ENOUGH SAID ALREADY.......JESUS!!!!
Dude, get the 2009 Mercedes SL65 AMG Twin Turbo V12 Hardtop Convertible Roadster for crying out loud!
The "AMG Freak" should know better! LOL!! Good luck with your decision.
Old 05-29-2008, 02:56 PM

2007 ML320 CDI, 2008 Smart ForTwo
Not that I want to start another p*ssing match... but I am getting the first and most likely the only ZR1 that my dealer will get....I am the only one that has even enquired about the car. I did this several months ago. So I will take the car and sell it I am sure. Make some $ and move on the the SL65. This was not just some impulse thread/question that I started. It was valid question. I may not have been "part" of the thread as much as some may have liked, but I just was gathering what "useful" (and I use that term loosely) information some of you had. Thanks for that. Also they are selling it at MSRP for those of you who may have that question. I will keep you updated.
Old 05-29-2008, 05:12 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
CLS63, GLK350
Ok guys I need opinions... New Vette ZR1 or SL65..... The new vette is smoking hot..... And I have been been a Benz guy for years. Thanks for the feedback.
I suggest you get the only ZR1 your dealer is getting but not pay over MSRP. Then sell it for a profit and get the SL65
Old 05-29-2008, 06:02 PM

That is exactly my plan.
Old 05-29-2008, 06:05 PM

Gs 300, Rx 330
That is exactly my plan.
speaking like a true businessman!
Old 05-29-2008, 08:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
2015 AMG C63 S
Not that I want to start another p*ssing match... but I am getting the first and most likely the only ZR1 that my dealer will get....I am the only one that has even enquired about the car. I did this several months ago. So I will take the car and sell it I am sure. Make some $ and move on the the SL65. This was not just some impulse thread/question that I started. It was valid question. I may not have been "part" of the thread as much as some may have liked, but I just was gathering what "useful" (and I use that term loosely) information some of you had. Thanks for that. Also they are selling it at MSRP for those of you who may have that question. I will keep you updated.
If pigs had wings they would be eagles, dream on.....and good luck.
Old 05-29-2008, 09:41 PM

that red one
What exactly is the MSRP on the ZR-1? $100,000k?

Last edited by itswindee; 05-29-2008 at 09:44 PM. Reason: forgot a word
Old 05-29-2008, 09:42 PM

E46 M3
Originally Posted by sack5000
If pigs had wings they would be eagles, dream on.....and good luck.
Wouldn't they be more like portly bats than eagles?
Old 05-29-2008, 09:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2015 AMG C63 S
Originally Posted by itswindee
What exactly is the MSRP on the ZR-1? $100,000k?
It hasn't been announced officially, but you are right in the ballpark. Today is the day that dealers were supposed to find out.
Old 05-29-2008, 10:05 PM

2018 C63SA Cabriolet
I suggest you get the only ZR1 your dealer is getting but not pay over MSRP. Then sell it for a profit and get the SL65
I'd like a taste of whatever it is you're smoking.
Old 05-29-2008, 10:35 PM

OK I knew that this would start more bickering..... I guess thats what I get for sharing. Stupid me. I know the owner of the dealer. I actually went down and talk to him about it today. Nobody still has came in and asked about the car. So its all me. The dealer rep was just in and told him that it will be a July-ish build. Takes 4 weeks to ship since they are trucked and not sent by rail. MSRP is roughly 100K, and yes thats what I am getting it for. Call me a liar if you wish.

AND Ive never done a drug in my life, so I am not smoking anything.
Old 05-30-2008, 08:52 AM

2018 C63SA Cabriolet

AND Ive never done a drug in my life, so I am not smoking anything.
Maybe if you had, you'd have developed a sense of humor.

Good luck with your plan. If you succeed, you'll the the only person in America to do so. Having spent a lot of time on the Corvette Forum over the past 2 years I know for a fact that no one was able to get anywhere near a new Z06 for much less than $10K over sticker so either you've found a real friend in the owner of your dealership or else he's blowing smoke up your a$$.
Old 05-30-2008, 09:19 AM

I do have a sense of humor, so please dont judge. Thats what not this place is for. Believe what you wish. I am keeping the rest to myself (including all details and pictures), as I do feel that posting anything here in a public forum just causes nothing but b*tching and being called liar. Which is sad. Who wants to be around so much negativity?
Old 06-05-2008, 04:35 PM

2012 Cayenne Turbo
I'm not going to wade through is thread. So if this has already been beaten to death I apologize. I have a line on a ZR1 at msrp. Is this a no brainer to buy, if I want to turn it and make a nice profit?
Old 06-05-2008, 05:36 PM

I wouldnt ask questions on here or give any information.... it just leads to people calling you a liar and b*tching.... Trust me I know. This should be called MBDRAMA not MBWORLD....
Old 06-05-2008, 07:52 PM
NSM

SL65
There are only a few drama queens on this site. Most are level headed and stayed away from this thread.

If you found one at MSRP, buy it, drive the **** out of it, then sell it for what you bought it for...
Old 06-06-2008, 08:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2015 AMG C63 S
Originally Posted by chiphomme
I'm not going to wade through is thread. So if this has already been beaten to death I apologize. I have a line on a ZR1 at msrp. Is this a no brainer to buy, if I want to turn it and make a nice profit?
Let me tell why this is not going to happen: selling you a ZR1 at msrp is like the stealer writing you a check for $25-50 grand. The only way this will happen is if the owner of the stealer is your pappa or your grand pappa. Dream on........

It is exciting to have a chance to get one so if you want one "hit your hip".
Old 06-10-2008, 11:40 PM

2012 Cayenne Turbo
Originally Posted by sack5000
Let me tell why this is not going to happen: selling you a ZR1 at msrp is like the stealer writing you a check for $25-50 grand. The only way this will happen is if the owner of the stealer is your pappa or your grand pappa. Dream on........

It is exciting to have a chance to get one so if you want one "hit your hip".
Yep you were right. When rubber met the asphalt the guy wanted $10k over list. I am still debating whether to take it or not.
Old 06-11-2008, 12:14 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
'14 ML BT
Originally Posted by chiphomme
Yep you were right. When rubber met the asphalt the guy wanted $10k over list. I am still debating whether to take it or not.
I know of a dealer in the Dallas area that had previously boasted of never selling a car for higher than sticker.

Guess what he's doing with the ZR1. Yup, he's breaking tradition.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: SL55/63/65/R230 AMG: 2009 Vette ZR1 or 2009 Benz SL65???