SL55 AMG, SL63 AMG, SL65 AMG (R230) 2002 - 2011 (2003 US for SL55 and 2004 for the SL65)

SL55/63/65/R230 AMG: Real SL63 Pics -

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-31-2008, 12:01 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2009 C63
The last picture, of the side air extractor is beyond UGLY!.
It is horrible and looks tacked on - especially on darker colors.
Is there anyone that can say that this looks good on any color other then white or silver?
This detail destroys the entire car's look IMHO.
The airscarf headrests are a complete joke, they look ridiculous.
Hopefully the new SL is soon to arrive, and this "freshened" model is put out of its misery!!
Old 03-31-2008, 12:29 PM
Banned

2005 SL55, 2000 CL500
I saw it and sat in it on Wednesday last week at the preview at MBLN down here in the OC. It grows on you after awhile. The hood shape is a bit different. But those side air vents with the chrome look hideous. The car that night had the same color and it was not as bad. The cockpit is a little different. The instrument cluster is a little more modern and still reminds me of my SL55. The rear as well takes a few minutes but it grows on you. The trunk is EXCATLY the same as my R230. The little spoiler on the lid was 50/50.
Half the people hated it half loved it. I think it look good. Now to test drive it maybe this week or when they start selling them in May. Overall in PERSON the car looks good. Its kind of like when I fist saw a CLS and said yuck. Or when the new CL came out. I said yuck at first. But give it some time and the changes start to grow on you and overall the car is still a R230 and does look fresh and a little more modern. My only real ***** is those chrome side vents with the SL63 Logo. They look like crap......
Old 03-31-2008, 12:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2007 S600
Do these Road and Track pictures look any better to everyone? Saw this today.

http://autos.yahoo.com/articles/new_...wroom-Sizzle/4
Old 03-31-2008, 01:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

some
i like the ***. but the front is TERRABLE

Mark
Old 03-31-2008, 03:58 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
06 SL55
That 6.3 AMG side vent looks so nasty.

I guess I'm done with the SL for now.

Last edited by Goyard; 03-31-2008 at 04:00 PM.
Old 03-31-2008, 05:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 238 Likes on 184 Posts
R230 SL63 | W220 S55
It's all taste, and I disagree with the majority of the comments. The R230 is softer, with gorgeous lines hinting of a classy aura. This new one is edgier, with and all-business get the fk outta' my way front end. That seems to be the latest trend with AMG's styling cues, replacing curves with creased hard edges. Personally, I love it.
Old 03-31-2008, 06:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

SL65
Originally Posted by HLG600
It's all taste, and I disagree with the majority of the comments. The R230 is softer, with gorgeous lines hinting of a classy aura. This new one is edgier, with and all-business get the fk outta' my way front end. That seems to be the latest trend with AMG's styling cues, replacing curves with creased hard edges. Personally, I love it.
I prefer the classy look. I don't like the direction Mercedes styling is going with all the straight angles and odd looking protrusions.
Old 03-31-2008, 07:13 PM

CLS63, GLK350
You need to buy one. Enjoy.
Old 04-01-2008, 03:10 AM

Something on 4 wheels..
Well, no matter if you think the design is an improvement or not (OK, I think it is), what about the TECHNICAL upgrades (new tranny, card-reader, USB-port, airscarf etc.)? Those ARE improvements, right?
Old 04-01-2008, 03:19 AM
CY
MBWorld Fanatic!

SL/M6
Originally Posted by bltserv
I saw it and sat in it on Wednesday last week at the preview at MBLN down here in the OC. It grows on you after awhile. The hood shape is a bit different. But those side air vents with the chrome look hideous. The car that night had the same color and it was not as bad. The cockpit is a little different. The instrument cluster is a little more modern and still reminds me of my SL55. The rear as well takes a few minutes but it grows on you. The trunk is EXCATLY the same as my R230. The little spoiler on the lid was 50/50.
Half the people hated it half loved it. I think it look good. Now to test drive it maybe this week or when they start selling them in May. Overall in PERSON the car looks good. Its kind of like when I fist saw a CLS and said yuck. Or when the new CL came out. I said yuck at first. But give it some time and the changes start to grow on you and overall the car is still a R230 and does look fresh and a little more modern. My only real ***** is those chrome side vents with the SL63 Logo. They look like crap......

The difference is the CLS and new CL were all new models...this is just a refreshed R230 with a different front end. If I hadnt owned two SL's over the last 4 years I would maybe lease one- if it was 20k below MSRP combined with a minimal money factor. Not a bad looking car compared to most autos...just wish they would have waited a bit longer and brought the new one out since the SL is above this type of facelifting IMO.
Old 04-01-2008, 10:37 AM

2009 C63
Originally Posted by CY
...just wish they would have waited a bit longer and brought the new one out since the SL is above this type of facelifting IMO.
I agree!
When was the last time a SL was "freshened"?????
Why is this even necessary????
The SL is an icon - with each generation breaking new ground both technologically and stylistically.

And the other post about the airscarf - I'll say it again, the new headrests are complete joke with how HUGE and UGLY they look.
They don't look like that in the SLK and you know why? - because they were not part of a half-a$$ed attempt to "freshen" a car who's styling was, is and will be a piece of automotive history.

Hopefully Mercedes Benz will refrain from this practice in the future, at least with the SL.

Chevrolet/GM has not made major exterior styling changes with the last two generations of the (C5/C6) Corvette and that car, along with the Porsche 911, is similiar to the SL with regard to owners, potential buyers and their expectations with regard to styling.

If Mecedes Benz wants to change the SL, then do the job right and bring out a new one, this cheap hack job stinks.
Old 04-01-2008, 03:47 PM

Something on 4 wheels..
Originally Posted by novabenz
Why is this even necessary????
New pedestrian safety-regulations.
Old 04-01-2008, 04:21 PM
Out Of Control!!

1999 C280 Previous / 2008 E350
Originally Posted by DaCeptak0n
My cousins works in the Montvale HQ and was able to capture these -
Beautiful pixs, thanks for sharing.
Old 04-02-2008, 02:26 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 290 Likes on 203 Posts
2013 650i Coupe, 2010 IS250 AWD, 1999 S500
Originally Posted by FloridaE55
New pedestrian safety-regulations.
Thank you. This little fact seems to be lost here. Such a drastic facelift accomplishes two things, it brings the SL in line with the rest of the lineup which after the next E and CLK won't have the round headlight look anymore and it makes it comply with the new safety regs, otherwise MB faced the risk of not being able to sell the car in Europe after 2009 (?) or so.

M
Old 04-02-2008, 07:19 AM

2005 SL600, 2011 Honda Odyssey Touring Elite
Originally Posted by Germancar1
Thank you. This little fact seems to be lost here. Such a drastic facelift accomplishes two things, it brings the SL in line with the rest of the lineup which after the next E and CLK won't have the round headlight look anymore and it makes it comply with the new safety regs, otherwise MB faced the risk of not being able to sell the car in Europe after 2009 (?) or so.

M
Anyone who is a regular of this forum knows this as it has been discussed for months. I don't think anyone here faults MB for freshening the SL to remain competitive or bringing it in line with EU pedestrian safety regs. The problem as I see it is the seemingly careless job they did with the facelift.
Old 04-02-2008, 09:49 PM

Received 27 Likes on 16 Posts
BMW M850i Gran Coupe
Originally Posted by JackStraw
Anyone who is a regular of this forum knows this as it has been discussed for months. I don't think anyone here faults MB for freshening the SL to remain competitive or bringing it in line with EU pedestrian safety regs. The problem as I see it is the seemingly careless job they did with the facelift.
The R230 was a great looking car when it first hit the streets in 2003, and through my subjective eyes, i still think it's beautiful. Regrettably, classic looking cars that looked retro on day one, become "dated" looking very quickly and soft sales for manufacturers force them to freshen the look to spark unit movement. Unfortunately, you can only add/remove grille bars, add black/remove black from the tail light lenses so many times before more is needed. Obviously the front end is the result of the EU regs and the current headlight styling of MB, but I personally don't see much more in the way of a facelift, unless you include the now standard equipment sport body kit. I am not sure there was much they could do differently without introducing the new SL many years early. Actually the biggest problem with the current SL is the "insides", from the now somewhat antiquated looking interior to the dated electronics and controls ( last gen nav system, dynamic seats, Dist Plus etc). Drive any new Benz and then get in the SL and you'll think you entered a time warp. It would have been nice if Mercedes would have let this beauty age gracefully, but selling cars is big business and the factories will do whatever they can to sell the cars, including multiple facelifts.
Old 04-03-2008, 01:54 AM

2002 C230 Sports Coupe
+1, i see the whole car industry moving this way and personally i love it. its way more aggressive but still holds beautiful lines. these arent the ugly boxes of the 80's. my car is really curvy and i like the look but not nearly as much as the newer models, even though i think they dropped the ball with the CLC.
Old 04-03-2008, 03:20 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I'm sure regulars know, but I couldn't tell with all the "why" questions being posted. Anyway, why is it careless? Because you don't like the way it looks? I don't think careless is the right word. Such an update clearly takes some effort in order to not (arguably) ruin the car and still comply with safety regs and bring it in line with newer Benz styling themes.

M
Old 04-03-2008, 05:10 PM

2005 SL600, 2011 Honda Odyssey Touring Elite
Originally Posted by Germancar1
I'm sure regulars know, but I couldn't tell with all the "why" questions being posted. Anyway, why is it careless? Because you don't like the way it looks? I don't think careless is the right word. Such an update clearly takes some effort in order to not (arguably) ruin the car and still comply with safety regs and bring it in line with newer Benz styling themes.

M

I wrote “seemingly careless” because it seemed to me that the designers ignored the 54 years and 5 generations of tastefully styled SLs when they drew up this facelift of the R230. Yes, it was if they didn’t care about the tradition of understated elegance of the SL.

Yes, I am aware that the luxury roadster / GT market has become more competitive in the last few years and buyers in this category want the latest. Mercedes may be attempting to make the SL styling edgy and relevant in the face of challenges from Audi, Bentley, Maserati, Lamborghini, Aston-Martin and of course BMW.

Yes, I understand that the front-end of the SL had to be modified if it were to achieve compliance with EU pedestrian safety regulation and therefore be permitted to be sold there.

Yes, as you astutely infer, I do not like the way it looks, and recent reviewers share that view. Also, in an mbworld poll started by blueSL, half of the respondents so far do not like the new look.

https://mbworld.org/forums/sl55-amg-sl63-amg-sl65-amg-r230/236372-do-you-like-way-sl63-looks.html

It might have not been as easy or expedient, and it probably would have cost more, but I think the SL’s facelift could have been more tasteful and less in-your-face, in keeping with its tradition.

I am looking forward to the R231.

Last edited by JackStraw; 04-03-2008 at 05:13 PM.
Old 04-03-2008, 09:49 PM

I think they have ruined a beautiful and classic car with the revised front end
Old 04-03-2008, 11:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

some
well i went by flecher jones, and i saw a SL63. NOT TO SHABBY in real life! it was silver on berry. the *** looks great, the front, was not as bad as some of the pics portray. i think it will get a little bit of getting used to, but nothing compared to the new jag 4 door... now that is just a ***** pot.

Mark
Old 04-04-2008, 03:56 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I wrote “seemingly careless” because it seemed to me that the designers ignored the 54 years and 5 generations of tastefully styled SLs when they drew up this facelift of the R230. Yes, it was if they didn’t care about the tradition of understated elegance of the SL.

Yes, I am aware that the luxury roadster / GT market has become more competitive in the last few years and buyers in this category want the latest. Mercedes may be attempting to make the SL styling edgy and relevant in the face of challenges from Audi, Bentley, Maserati, Lamborghini, Aston-Martin and of course BMW.

Yes, I understand that the front-end of the SL had to be modified if it were to achieve compliance with EU pedestrian safety regulation and therefore be permitted to be sold there.

Yes, as you astutely infer, I do not like the way it looks, and recent reviewers share that view. Also, in an mbworld poll started by blueSL, half of the respondents so far do not like the new look.

https://mbworld.org/forums/showthread.php?t=236372

It might have not been as easy or expedient, and it probably would have cost more, but I think the SL’s facelift could have been more tasteful and less in-your-face, in keeping with its tradition.

I am looking forward to the R231.

Well like all "reviewers" they really don't set the tone for the car in the market. The BMW 7-Series proved that. I can see where one would think this facelift isn't as pretty as before, but it is edgier and they did incorporate some real classic SL themes like the single bar grille and what not. That said, I haven't seen it in person yet, but I think it looks pretty good so far, especially in AMG guise.

M

Last edited by Germancar1; 04-04-2008 at 04:02 AM.
Old 04-04-2008, 08:08 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
06 SL65 / 97 993tt /11 Suburban/ 2012 GTR (AMG č la mia Famiglia la Bestia č la mia protezione)
I guess...

I'll reserve final judgment (not that it matters to anyone else) until I see it in person...My worry is that in non-AMG form it may not be as "appealing". As far as the initial impression of the head lights...it seems that "bulging eyebrow" look at the top of the headlight just breaks the lines for me...

As with most people, I agree that the side emblem thingy that they put on is cheesy...too big and cheap looking.
Old 04-04-2008, 10:11 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 563 Likes on 372 Posts
'19 E63S, ‘16 CLS63 RIP, '09 E63 Gone, '06 M5 Gone, '97 Supra TT Gone
Originally Posted by MikeRPA
for all of you who didnt car in person and judging by pics are dumbasses , in person it looks much better than the current SL especialy if your comparing sport pack sl550 and current sport sl550 , and sl63 does looks better than 55 in person, pics dont do its juctice
Saw it in person at the NY auto show. It's a damn travesty. Looks completely ridiculous.
Old 04-04-2008, 03:14 PM

2009 C63
Seems like most here don't like it based on initial photos.
Someone once wrote this:
"Good design does not take time to get used to."
With that in mind, the faults we find with the SL facelift will continue with it until the whole car is redesigned.
With the WORST of them being the side air vents.
This styling element is now found on all manner of car, from Fords to Saturns.
Great move Mercedes Benz with conforming to the design trends of today rather then breaking new ground.
IMHO, this SL will always be regarded for the "band-aid" it most obviously is.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: SL55/63/65/R230 AMG: Real SL63 Pics -