SL55 AMG, SL63 AMG, SL65 AMG (R230) 2002 - 2011 (2003 US for SL55 and 2004 for the SL65)

SL55/63/65/R230 AMG: SL63 or M6?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-29-2008, 08:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2012 Cayenne Turbo
Originally Posted by C6Jeff
"Lumbering"? Lumbering means "slow and laborious because of weight" but I don't think there's much of a weight difference between the M6 and the CLS63 so I'm not sure what you mean. It's not going to give a "big boat" ride like an old Caddy so where does the lumbering come in?

If I am not going to track the car I don't see the need for the performance package other than because it's cool. The higher-performance tires will cause a harsher & noisier ride so why pay $9K for a set of tires/wheels when the stock tires and wheels are quite suitable for daily highway driving? I wouldn't mind the nicer brakes, though, but not for $9K!

Drive the two. The CLS feels like its a 1000lbs heavier.
Old 05-29-2008, 08:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

08 S65, 06 M3 CS(stick), 02 BMW X5 4.6iS, 07 R1 Raven, 08 F-450 4x4, 08 CooperS JCW
Originally Posted by chiphomme
Drive the two. The CLS feels like its a 1000lbs heavier.
...and when you're on the highway don't for a minute expect the CLS63 to be "quicker in a straight line." It won't keep up above 100mph with the M6er.

Good car the CLS63 overall though, just very different. Chiphomme has had both btw.
Old 05-29-2008, 09:13 PM

Received 37 Likes on 25 Posts
2018 C63SA Cabriolet
Originally Posted by transferred
...and when you're on the highway don't for a minute expect the CLS63 to be "quicker in a straight line." It won't keep up above 100mph with the M6er.
All my driving is under 100mph. I am 61 years old and prudent enough not to race on the street. It's just nice to know that I could if I wanted to. I'm told that the CLS will get to 120 faster than the M6 but above 120 the M6 pulls harder. BFD.
Old 05-30-2008, 01:28 AM

2012 Cayenne Turbo
Originally Posted by C6Jeff
All my driving is under 100mph. I am 61 years old and prudent enough not to race on the street. It's just nice to know that I could if I wanted to. I'm told that the CLS will get to 120 faster than the M6 but above 120 the M6 pulls harder. BFD.
I hope you don't think I'm trashing your choice? The CLS63(I had a CLS55) is a very nice car and it definitely has advantages over the M6.
-It has four doors and will actually fit four adults in it (the M6 won't).
-It will explode off the line, leaving boy racers in the dust (if that floats your boat).
-It looks better.
-It is an awesome highway car(the best I've had).
-It has a great exhaust note
-The active seat bolsters are pretty cool
-It doesn't have the moronic iDrive (though I don't hate it as much as most people)
Old 05-30-2008, 02:18 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
E55 then E63, now back to an E55
Originally Posted by france2112
Exactly!! You are correct. Some people feel the need to only buy new so they will always take a huge bath on depreciation. You can always get a better or shall we say an upgraded car (SL55 over SL550) for about the same and in many cases less money if you are willing to buy "pre-owned." If someone wants to be the first owner that is up to them. Obviously it is nice that no one else owned the car before you when you buy new but for the most part a low mileage pre-owned cars is just as good. Some of the pre-owed cars are so clean that you would not even know they are used unless you looked at the odometer. I've had nothing but good luck with used exotics and I really save a lot of money in the long run. Just my opinion. Good luck.

Larry
I second that
Old 05-30-2008, 02:19 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E55 then E63, now back to an E55
Agreeing w above posts on M6:
Both I-DRIVE and auto (SMG) gearbox are terrible........
Old 06-01-2008, 12:08 PM

CLS63, GLK350
Originally Posted by france2112
Exactly!! You are correct. Some people feel the need to only buy new so they will always take a huge bath on depreciation. You can always get a better or shall we say an upgraded car (SL55 over SL550) for about the same and in many cases less money if you are willing to buy "pre-owned." If someone wants to be the first owner that is up to them. Obviously it is nice that no one else owned the car before you when you buy new but for the most part a low mileage pre-owned cars is just as good. Some of the pre-owed cars are so clean that you would not even know they are used unless you looked at the odometer. I've had nothing but good luck with used exotics and I really save a lot of money in the long run. Just my opinion. Good luck.

Larry
Larry I disagree with you. Depends on what someone is looking for. I like the new tech engine in the SL550, and I don't think much of SOHC blown engines, sure you will get a faster car with the SL55 but for me the 550 is way fast enough, new tech and I bought it new for almost $20K under MSRP. A lot of factors go into how one individual decides what car is right for them, performance is one.
Old 06-01-2008, 10:06 PM
Administrator

Received 796 Likes on 495 Posts
2020 Audi R8 V10, 2016 AMG GTS, 2018 E63S Edition 1, 2018 Porsche GTS Cab, 2012 C63 BS
I have an M6- have had an E55 (210 and 211) plus a CL65. For me its not just about acceleration, the exhaust note on my M6 is to die for. I also love the driver involvement that the high rev'ing S85 engine brings to the table. The brake feel and steering feel IMO are better than the Benzes that I have had. Now the Black Series is another story

Its not the easiest car to drive though, you always have to be in the sweet spot but the gearing of the car over 100 is just flat out amazing. Mine is modded enginewise with pulley, software, filters, exhaust, and air scoops so its not gonna kill any AMG but it pulls and it flies on the highway. Whats amazing is the exhaust note on this car, it eliminates the necessity for a radio and honestly- if I lose in a race I dont really care like I used to if I lost when my E55 was stock.

Both my most recent Benzes have shown that they are amazing from a dig and great slower speed racers especially in traffic where all you have to do is mash and go. The M6 requires some premeditation and the power (tq wise) is not always there unless you know how to drive it. I know the OP has already made up his mind but I figured that Id post some pics of my car. As mentioned before the M6 is not for everyone but it grows on you and the I love the car. This coming from a guy whose last Benz dyno'd with 557 rwhp (CL65) and a stage III E55 that had about 500 rwhp and now is even faster in the hands of a good friend.

Here are some pics, and for some perspective there is one pic with a tastefully modded CLS63 too. And I attached a low res video of my car in Mexico:

Click here for the video/sound clip

Click here for standing sound clip

Old 06-04-2008, 12:36 AM

Received 37 Likes on 25 Posts
2018 C63SA Cabriolet
Originally Posted by chiphomme
I hope you don't think I'm trashing your choice? The CLS63(I had a CLS55) is a very nice car and it definitely has advantages over the M6.
-It has four doors and will actually fit four adults in it (the M6 won't).
-It will explode off the line, leaving boy racers in the dust (if that floats your boat).
-It looks better.
-It is an awesome highway car(the best I've had).
-It has a great exhaust note
-The active seat bolsters are pretty cool
-It doesn't have the moronic iDrive (though I don't hate it as much as most people)
All very valid points and thanks for reinforcing my decision to go with the CLS, though I have yet to drive the M6. Maybe I will get the opportunity do drive one and maybe it'll turn my head, but so far there haven't been any near Sanibel, FL so I'm probably going to order the CLS soon.

That being said, today I was a quarter mile behind a coupe which totally intrigued me because the rear window looked exactly like an early-60's Series I Jag E-Type Coupe. I raced to catch up and the closer I got, the more intrigued I became. When I finally caught it and passed by I realized it was the 2008 XK-R Coupe, a car I hadn't seen yet. I've seen the convertible and wasn't impressed enough to think about getting another one (my wife has an '06 XK-R) but the rear view and side view of the Coupe are both exquisite. The front "mouth" reminds me of a Ford Taurus, however, so that pretty much kills the looks of the car IMO.

The only other car I'd consider at this point would be the 2009 CTS-V, but I doubt I'll be exicted by its looks the way I am about the CLS63 or the M6 or the XK-R, for that matter.
Old 06-06-2008, 09:21 AM
CY
MBWorld Fanatic!

SL/M6
Originally Posted by Vic55
I have an M6- have had an E55 (210 and 211) plus a CL65. For me its not just about acceleration, the exhaust note on my M6 is to die for. I also love the driver involvement that the high rev'ing S85 engine brings to the table. The brake feel and steering feel IMO are better than the Benzes that I have had. Now the Black Series is another story

Its not the easiest car to drive though, you always have to be in the sweet spot but the gearing of the car over 100 is just flat out amazing. Mine is modded enginewise with pulley, software, filters, exhaust, and air scoops so its not gonna kill any AMG but it pulls and it flies on the highway. Whats amazing is the exhaust note on this car, it eliminates the necessity for a radio and honestly- if I lose in a race I dont really care like I used to if I lost when my E55 was stock.

Both my most recent Benzes have shown that they are amazing from a dig and great slower speed racers especially in traffic where all you have to do is mash and go. The M6 requires some premeditation and the power (tq wise) is not always there unless you know how to drive it. I know the OP has already made up his mind but I figured that Id post some pics of my car. As mentioned before the M6 is not for everyone but it grows on you and the I love the car. This coming from a guy whose last Benz dyno'd with 557 rwhp (CL65) and a stage III E55 that had about 500 rwhp and now is even faster in the hands of a good friend.

Here are some pics, and for some perspective there is one pic with a tastefully modded CLS63 too. And I attached a low res video of my car in Mexico:

Click here for the video/sound clip

Click here for standing sound clip

I usually prefer MB to BMW in all comparisons, but Vic's M6 is for sure hotter then most CLS's looks wise and will age better in comparison...not to mention it is probaby more fun to drive (depending if you are capable of driving the M6 to its limits). I would take the M6 over the CLS 100 times over mostly because I have had a lot of road time in the CLS and have had my fill. It was sick back in 2006 though. The SL is the better choice over the CLS if you dont need 4 doors IMO but maybe the CLS will fit your needs accordingly. Hell of a car either way to those who are not jaded....plus chicks dig it.

Last edited by CY; 06-07-2008 at 07:47 AM.
Old 02-07-2009, 04:40 PM

2003 SL55, 1999 Lexus LS400
09 M6 is 301 lbs less curb weight than 09 CLS63
Old 02-07-2009, 07:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2006 E55 BEAST
Way to bring this thread back to life.
Old 02-10-2009, 12:00 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2010 E63, 2008 Range Rover Sport, 2010 GLK350
I love both cars. In this market I would get an M6. You can get it for cheaper and depreciation will be less than it will be on the SL. The M6 is a beautiful car and the exhast note is amazing (have driven one many times).

The M6 is more sporty where the SL is more classy (in short).