SL55 AMG, SL63 AMG, SL65 AMG (R230) 2002 - 2011 (2003 US for SL55 and 2004 for the SL65)

SL55/63/65/R230 AMG: 07' SL55 vs. '09 Porsche 911 Turbo

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-08-2009, 10:33 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
c350
07' SL55 vs. '09 Porsche 911 Turbo

Currently own a '07 SL55 with approximately 7,000 miles on the car.
Considering a possible trade for a '09 Porsche 911 Turbo with the new PDK transmission.
The SL will fetch about $63,000.00 and the number on the 911 Turbo should be known by tomorrow (Monday)
Would like to hear from other's on the board regarding the pro's and con's that they may be aware of regarding the Porsche 911 Turbo.
I'm not considering any other models of the 911, so if we could contain the discussion to the Turbo that would be appreciated.
This is the first year for the new PDK transmission, so I don't expect much commentary on that aspect of the 911 Turbo.
It would be great to hear comments about the driving dynamics of the Porsche Turbo, dealership/service experiences and any other related aspects thereto.
I'm considering the Porsche Turbo because of the heightened level of sports car performance it should deliver, but I'd like to hear from others about the car and anything related to it.
I've never owned a Porsche, so I have no experience with the car, but I've been attracted to this model for sometime.
Thanks in advance for your input!!
Old 02-08-2009, 11:16 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
'03 SL55
If you are feeling the urge to go more towards a sports car and away from a grand tourer, then a 911 997 TT is a very reasonable choice.

I've not driven a car with the PDK transmission but by all accounts it's a nice step forward from the Tiptronic. There's some risk in having a car with a brand new transmission design but Porsche tends to be pretty methodical and the car would be under warranty as well.

Before pulling the trigger on the 911 you might want to check out the CLK63 Black Series. It's a bit more of a "tweener" car, in between a sports car and a GT but it's very well executed.

Good luck with the decision!
Old 02-08-2009, 12:08 PM
WSH
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2010 CL65
Had '07 997TT Tip/PCCB and '07 SL65, each for ~3K mis (also have had 996TTS and SL55 further back in past)

997TT positives: ~800lbs lighter; more precise steering; superb brake pedal feel (in dry, PCCB pedal feel is arguably world's best); more ergonomic sport seats (Adaptive Sport Seats back then; today's GT2 sport seats are even better)

997TT negatives: Awful exhaust note (sounds like an asthmatic/transgender Prius Turbo); turbo lag (very noticeable in 70-100MPH bursts and in mtn twisties driving); PASM damping is not well-sorted vs real-world roads w/bumps, camber changes, etc; PCCB have "issues" in wet driving, esp heavy rain fwy cruising; ground clearance hassles (worse than any F); ~17gall fuel tank makes for annoyingly short range for daily commute use; trunk is size of a glove box; lots of niggling quality issues (rather disappointing given how little innovative tech P has vs AMG)

Net, net...if AMG didn't exist, I'd drive a 997GT2 (more sorted chassis than 997TT; 300lbs lighter; more rigid as no sunroof) as my only commuter and wkend car....but would rather drive any new AMG CL/SL/S over any new P....P simply lacks leading-edge innovation, daily (and/or wkend)-enjoyable performance, aural theatrics and comfort/utility of AMG
Old 02-08-2009, 12:34 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2014 SL550
I currently own a 997tt and an SL65. I have owned an SL55. The turbo will walk away from the SL and is more sure footed and more sports car. IMHO the SL makes a better driver, it is very fast, is more comfortable and is quieter. As a toy go with the turbo or better yet a Ferrari F360. (I own an F430). As a daily driver go with the SL.
Old 02-08-2009, 08:09 PM

SL55
I sold my F430 Spider, SL55 and 997 GT3RS & GT2 late last year because I wanted to look like I'm poor and nobody asks me for a raise or complains they got laid off.

I don't know the traffic in Philly. Here in CA the turbo just pi$$e$ me off when I drive it.

In traffic because of the clutch, in the canyons because it still handles like a pig in the turns compared to a GT3 or GT2.

To me the 997 Turbo is NOT even close to being the best Turbo Porsche ever made.

The VTG turbos have huge issues. They can't handle a second acceleration in a row. The ECU sees the turbo temps are too high and pulls power.

I did like the GT2 a great deal. Handling is almost like the GT3 and much more power.

I made the mistake selling the cars I did. I do not own a 997 Turbo anymore. I went back to a 996 Turbo Cab in the summer when I still had the GT2 and GT3.

Long story short: My 650 TQ/HP 996 Turbo is for sale and I'm looking for an SL55 or SL65 and am looking forward to getting the first new GT3 from the dealership I have been working with for five years this fall.

The SL drives itself, the 997 Turbo is a driver's car for a person who doesn't really drive aggressively but wants to look like they do. The 997 Turbo can be made into a well handling car with a KW or Bilstein suspension and Brembo brakes.

PDK: I have only driven it in a regular S. It was very similar to driving a TipTronic transmission car. It is nowhere near the precision of Ferrari's current F1 transmission. It isn't even close to the F1 in a 360. The shifts are way slow. Maybe it will be better in the Turbo, who knows. I know theoretically the shifts are supposed to provide a more linear acceleration without the interruption of the gearchange.... But it just does not feel like that to me. Most importantly, it was no fun to drive.

However, I love Porsches. Right now I just like the GT3 and GT2 more than the Turbo. They are real driver's cars and a huge bargain compared to the competition. They are however a pain to drive in traffic.

A Turbo is NOT a replacement for an SL, these two cars just can not be compared. They have totally different strong points.

The absolute best bang for your buck right now is a GT-R. I drove one briefly and could not belive it. If someone can get over the fact that it is a Nissan and just turnn up the stereo to drown out the rattles ...... That is the deal of the century.
Old 02-08-2009, 11:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Real Cars
I too have had the SL65 vs 997 Turbo debate. I agree that they don't really compare, even though they are both in a similar class (GT cars). The philosophy behind them is just very different.

One thing not mentioned by previous posters in this thread is the retractable top. I hate convertible roadsters with cloth/material tops. They look horrendous with the tops up to the point where I'd almost drive in the rain with the top down just to save the car from looking so bad. The SL pulls off the top up/top down better than just about any car in the world. You live in a climate much like myself where after suffering through winter there are few things as rewarding as enjoying a beautiful summer - the SL gives you that ability like few other cars for. It is one of the biggest reasons I have one (and have had 2).

I love the V12 TT engine, and think that we will soon bear witness to it's true potential, the car has great comfort and I can take it downtown every day, take it up steep ramps, sit in traffic, etc, etc and for the most part it's a regular SL when you need it to be. When you engage with the car, it's AMG prowess shines and few cars are able to blend every-day luxury/comfort with such a violently powerful split personality as the AMG cars. The SL65 is no exception to this.

So I guess my point is - I think you first need to figure out what you are really going to use the car for / what your wants are - and that will be your primary guide. The 997 is more of a driver's car that can see track use and is a decent canyon-carver... the SL is a heavier, but more comfortable GT car - who may feel a bit more stressed carving canyons but is able to deliver stellar street performance with a level of luxury and refinement few others can hope for.

-m
Old 02-09-2009, 02:55 AM
Zod
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts
CLS55 2006, CLS 63S 2015
Originally Posted by WSH
Had '07 997TT Tip/PCCB and '07 SL65, each for ~3K mis (also have had 996TTS and SL55 further back in past)

997TT positives: ~800lbs lighter; more precise steering; superb brake pedal feel (in dry, PCCB pedal feel is arguably world's best); more ergonomic sport seats (Adaptive Sport Seats back then; today's GT2 sport seats are even better)

997TT negatives: Awful exhaust note (sounds like an asthmatic/transgender Prius Turbo); turbo lag (very noticeable in 70-100MPH bursts and in mtn twisties driving); PASM damping is not well-sorted vs real-world roads w/bumps, camber changes, etc; PCCB have "issues" in wet driving, esp heavy rain fwy cruising; ground clearance hassles (worse than any F); ~17gall fuel tank makes for annoyingly short range for daily commute use; trunk is size of a glove box; lots of niggling quality issues (rather disappointing given how little innovative tech P has vs AMG)

Net, net...if AMG didn't exist, I'd drive a 997GT2 (more sorted chassis than 997TT; 300lbs lighter; more rigid as no sunroof) as my only commuter and wkend car....but would rather drive any new AMG CL/SL/S over any new P....P simply lacks leading-edge innovation, daily (and/or wkend)-enjoyable performance, aural theatrics and comfort/utility of AMG
I was so disappointed when i heard theP turbo sound....its like farts am nto kidding such a shame no dissing here its what i here every time they push the car
Old 02-09-2009, 11:54 AM

c350
I appreciate everyone's responses and the information you've been able to impart on the Porsche Turbo vs. the SL55AMG.
After reading, and considering everything, I'm going to stick with the SL for another year.
I still very much like the Porsche, but the give up of the some of the amenities of the SL, especially the decent trunk/storage space really would wear on me after awhile.
No one addressed service/road side assistance for Porsche, but I've heard that it doesn't compare to Mercedes Benz either. Not that its better or worse, just that again, some of the perks we have with our service department probably wouldn't be duplicated by Porsche.
Old 02-10-2009, 04:58 PM

SL55, ML500, GT3 RS, 997C2S
Since when does the 997TT come with a PDK?? Only available for the Cayman and the non turbo 997s.