SL55 AMG, SL63 AMG, SL65 AMG (R230) 2002 - 2011 (2003 US for SL55 and 2004 for the SL65)

SL55/63/65/R230 AMG: SL 55 Feels like it is on water when I floor it

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-26-2008, 04:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
97 SL500
Originally Posted by adidadi
Exact same scenario. Michelin PS2 19" 295 rears and the wobble happens only when I hammer it.
A good way to rule out the wheels and tires is to try a "new" set. I'd suggest, since the car is "certified", to drop it off at the dealer and have them borrow a set off a new SL on their lot and test drive the car with a OE set on it. If the problem is gone then replace the tires (also make sure the wheels are hubcentric and that you are using the correct lugs...stock lugs are probably not correct for Brabus wheels), if it's not gone then have the dealer figure out what is wrong with the suspension.

I'm guessing it's the tires.
Old 08-26-2008, 05:54 PM

SL55
Lincoln, very good suggestion. They did do that and the wobble was gone. So it is either the tires or the spacers used to fit the Brabus. I am not sure if the wheels fit without spacers. Anyone know that? If they can be placed without spacers, I may try that. So I've narrowed it down to wheels, spacers or tires in growing culpability order. Any thoughts re: spacers?
Old 08-26-2008, 06:01 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2005 SL55, 2000 CL500
Lincoln, very good suggestion. They did do that and the wobble was gone. So it is either the tires or the spacers used to fit the Brabus. I am not sure if the wheels fit without spacers. Anyone know that? If they can be placed without spacers, I may try that. So I've narrowed it down to wheels, spacers or tires in growing culpability order. Any thoughts re: spacers?
I really think its the Tires on the 19`s. They are a little wide and they are flexing. Mine just gets a little shimmy when you really hook it up hard.
I can live with it. But it didnt do it with the 18`s. The 19`s are a bit heavier
but from what I am reading here we are having the same issue.

I pounded mine the other night. ESP Off. Here are the results. And I was not pointed straight when I hooked it up either. Just dont over correct
when it does it and you should be fine.

Old 08-26-2008, 06:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
'03 SL55
The wheels probably cannot fit without the spacers, otherwise the installer wouldn't have added them.

We can double check if you know the offset for the wheels. Standard SL offset is in the low 30s, e.g. my AMG Style 5s are 18x8.5 ET30 and 18x9.5 ET33.
Old 08-27-2008, 03:04 PM

SL55
Originally Posted by jmf003
The wheels probably cannot fit without the spacers, otherwise the installer wouldn't have added them.

We can double check if you know the offset for the wheels. Standard SL offset is in the low 30s, e.g. my AMG Style 5s are 18x8.5 ET30 and 18x9.5 ET33.
How do I find out the correct offset?
Thanks,
Adriano
Old 08-27-2008, 03:37 PM

97 SL500
Spacers??? You didn't mention that before. Make sure the spacers are hubcentric to the both the hubs and the wheels. You can do this yourself by taking one wheel off, hold spacer tight to the hub and it should fit tight with no side to side movement. Then check that the wheel fits the spacer the same way. Alot of wheel companies use a plastic hubcentric centering ring, so if the wheels are loose to the spacer or hub (if you fit them without the spacers) then this could be missing. Many spacers are not hubcentic, H&R makes hubcentric spacers, if yours aren't then call Tirerack and ask if H&R makes the correct spacer for your car.

One more thing to check is the lugs. Since you are using spacers you should have longer lugs then OEM. Be very sure that you lugs are long enough to get at least 5 thread into the hubwhen tight. This is probably not the cause of the slipping feeling but it's a huge safety issue if you are running lugs that are too short.

Last edited by Lincoln; 08-27-2008 at 03:39 PM.
Old 08-27-2008, 04:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'03 SL55
How do I find out the correct offset?
Thanks,
Adriano
The offset is often stamped on the inside of the wheel, usually on one of the spokes. If the offset isn't stamped on your wheels you can try contacting the manufacturer or dealer and asking for the info. A good wheel shop should also be able to measure it for you. It's a little tricky to measure yourself it within 1mm of precision.

Originally Posted by Lincoln
...Make sure the spacers are hubcentric to the both the hubs and the wheels.
One more thing to check is the lugs. Since you are using spacers you should have longer lugs then OEM. ...
+1 on Lincoln's comments.
Old 08-27-2008, 04:17 PM

SL55
Will check the offset. I probably have to remove the wheel, right? I do have longer lugs from Brabus. What is there to check?
Old 08-28-2008, 11:07 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
SL 63 W/B AMG , S600,C220
sound 8 SL55 wheels

Sorry to change the subject a little, but I think my 18 inch wheels are to
small , I am also thinking of lowering it. I like 19 inch, I like the 65 AMG wheels
but too much money, any one seen or fitted Carlsson multi spoke.
Any suggestions would be apreciated, inc lowering.
Old 08-31-2008, 02:04 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
V12-Biturbo
It's 100% Michelin PS2's

I just did the same swap to aftermarket 19" & 295's directly after install I got the wobble/wiggle upon heavy acceleration, it's documented over in the W211 E55 forum they had the exact same probs when using Mich PS2 295's..

The cause seems to be the extra SOFT SIDE-WALL ON THE PS2's it causes the wiggle, I'm just beating the sheet outta my PS2's & switching to another brand w/stiffer sidewall...

It's not your spacers
Old 08-31-2008, 12:54 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2005 SL55, 2000 CL500
Hey Thericker

I got my Intercooler pump fixed and been pounding mine a little.
I totally agree its the tires. The Tire wall construction makes sense
as the flex point. They are good tires but this is "an issue".

Next time I may go to the OEM Bridgestones or ???
Old 08-31-2008, 02:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
V12-Biturbo
Originally Posted by bltserv
Hey Thericker

I got my Intercooler pump fixed and been pounding mine a little.
I totally agree its the tires. The Tire wall construction makes sense
as the flex point. They are good tires but this is "an issue".

Next time I may go to the OEM Bridgestones or ???
Yo bro! glad to hear you got her working 100% again... Yeah I'm going Bridgestone RE050A 305's

If you simply touch the sidewall on the PS2's before install you can feel how soft they are compared to others, this is a good thing for Dragracing but for some reason the 295'-up sizing creates this crummy wiggle...

Another good brand is Pirelli

Last edited by Thericker; 08-31-2008 at 09:54 PM.
Old 08-31-2008, 10:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Several MB's Superperformance MK III Cobra
My newly acquired SL55 with 19" Brabus wheels, stock suspension feels like it wobbles when I floor it in 1st and 2nd. My 2003 SL with 19" AMG 3 piece wheels and stock suspension did not feel this way. Any ideas what may be going on?
Unfortunately the PS2's have the wiggle characteristic, especially in the 295x19 size. This has been a topic of discussion for quite a while on the 211 E55 forum. I have the PS2's on my car and get the same response. Looks like a good time to switch the tires.
Old 09-01-2008, 10:59 AM
JDB

CLK63 Black Series
Originally Posted by lkirchner
Unfortunately the PS2's have the wiggle characteristic, especially in the 295x19 size. This has been a topic of discussion for quite a while on the 211 E55 forum. I have the PS2's on my car and get the same response. Looks like a good time to switch the tires.
Hi Lou,

I was wondering if the Michelins that you used had the "MO" designation?

I had an exchange of e-mails with AMG in Affalterbach about changing the rims on my CL55 from 18" to 19" diameter. They suggested part numbers for the correct AMG rims to use and emphatically stated that I must use "MO" tires for safety reasons. The term was new to me, so I e-mailed back for clarification their response was "MO" = "Mercedes Only".

Ultimately, I did not change my rims, but I do remember seeing some Michelins in the U.S. catalog as being designated as "Mercedes". Maybe they have a higher load rating or an ability to withstand higher heat?

JDB
Sacramento, CA
Old 09-01-2008, 02:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Mercedes-Benz
Yes I spoke with the Michelin engineer about "MO" and he said it is Mercedes only and they are usually small changes made to the tire requested by Mercedes. My Pirellis have the same "MO" on the sidewall.
Old 09-17-2008, 09:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C63S coupe, X5M
Originally Posted by theboogers
i added the toe links and lsd. made the wobble or snake feeling stop w/ michelins ps2's.
What toe links did you get and where from?
Old 09-19-2008, 12:07 PM

SL55
I almost crashed my car last night when racing a BMW because of these rediculously BAD tires. My car swayed sidw to side and almost hit the BMW and I felt completely out of control. This is very bad. I am going to complain to the dealer I bought the car from.
Old 09-19-2008, 02:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C63S coupe, X5M
I almost crashed my car last night when racing a BMW because of these rediculously BAD tires. My car swayed sidw to side and almost hit the BMW and I felt completely out of control. This is very bad. I am going to complain to the dealer I bought the car from.
It's the tires, nobody should allow PS2's of this size on this car imo, it's ****ing dangerous!

I have PS2's as well and am getting the exact same driving on water feel, I filled them to 50PSI and it's a bit better. Can't wait to be done with this set...
Old 09-19-2008, 02:58 PM

SL55
Dealer is giving me NEW AMG wheels and exchanging my tires for me. I told them it was the closest I've come to crashing in a long time. The car is UNSAFE with Michelin PS2's, PERIOD! There should be some action taken against them to change their manufacturing. It is dangerous.
Old 09-19-2008, 03:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'03 SL55
Dealer is giving me NEW AMG wheels and exchanging my tires for me. I told them it was the closest I've come to crashing in a long time. The car is UNSAFE with Michelin PS2's, PERIOD! There should be some action taken against them to change their manufacturing. It is dangerous.
Glad to hear that the dealer stepped up and is taking care of you.
Old 09-19-2008, 07:43 PM
JDB

CLK63 Black Series
. . . The car is UNSAFE with Michelin PS2's, PERIOD! There should be some action taken against them to change their manufacturing. It is dangerous.
Michelin does offer tires that are designated "MO" = "Mercedes Only".

Did your tires have that designation, or were they the normal Michelins?

When I was corresponding with Mercedes-AMG in Affalterbach about using 19" rims, in place of my stock 18" rims, they made it very clear that I must only use tires with the "MO" designation.

JDB
Old 09-22-2008, 07:54 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts
2020 S560,14 ml350, 03 sl55, silver, pano, slr cams, evo headers, lsd, 2019 s63 cab.
got my toe links from renn tech. i put them on and the car was dangerous until i had a four wheel alignment and the toe links properly set up. the car handles noticibly better and does not act like it is on water with ps2's.
Old 09-22-2008, 02:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
SL 63 W/B AMG , S600,C220
Can you find a person with stock wheels and tires to try, perhaps a Merc dealer, it would tell you straight away. My thoughts are that the tires you have are wider perhaps with more offset than standard which under power
are going from one outer edge to the other, a bit like torque steer on
front wheel drive. This thread has put me off buying some 19 inch Carlsson
wheels for mine. The trouble is as soon as you modify a car problems start,
maybe it's better to leave them standard/stock.
Old 09-22-2008, 05:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Several MB's Superperformance MK III Cobra
Originally Posted by JDB
Hi Lou,

I was wondering if the Michelins that you used had the "MO" designation?

I had an exchange of e-mails with AMG in Affalterbach about changing the rims on my CL55 from 18" to 19" diameter. They suggested part numbers for the correct AMG rims to use and emphatically stated that I must use "MO" tires for safety reasons. The term was new to me, so I e-mailed back for clarification their response was "MO" = "Mercedes Only".

Ultimately, I did not change my rims, but I do remember seeing some Michelins in the U.S. catalog as being designated as "Mercedes". Maybe they have a higher load rating or an ability to withstand higher heat?

JDB
Sacramento, CA
Sorry for the delayed response. The tires do have the MO designation. I never paid much attention to that until it was mentioned here. Even my wife's S550 with the AMG appearance package has the MO designatiom on the Dunlops on the car.
Old 09-25-2008, 06:57 PM

SL55
Problem solved!!!
The Mercedes dealer; Bernie at Escondido Mercedes was a true gentleman, stepped up to the plate and GAVE me a set of AMG monoblock (new style) with Bridgestones to solve the problem. I gave him back the Michelins. I also think that in addition to the lack of MO rating; the 295's ballooned too much since they were maybe too big. Maybe also spacers. Very happy. Problem solved. moving on to other things.....
Thanks for all your help.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: SL55/63/65/R230 AMG: SL 55 Feels like it is on water when I floor it