SL55 AMG, SL63 AMG, SL65 AMG (R230) 2002 - 2011 (2003 US for SL55 and 2004 for the SL65)

SL55/63/65/R230 AMG: Anybody w/SL65 or SL600 needs to have straight pipes!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-12-2008, 01:59 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
V12-Biturbo
Anybody w/SL65 or SL600 needs to have straight pipes!

Had it done about 6wks ago & still can't get over how badazz this car is w/3" straight pipes, NO mufflers & quad AMG tips feels a bit stronger on the top-end too Pix from 6wks back, sorry just got around to loading them to Photobucket.

PS.. There is ABSOLUTELY NO DROAN!!!! @ at any speed, just Excellent aggressive growl when stabbing the throttle that should of accompanied this BEAST from the factory...

Last edited by Thericker; 07-12-2008 at 02:11 AM.
Old 07-12-2008, 04:32 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C63S coupe, X5M
Dude I want to hear your car, need soundclips and I wanna hear it in person to
Old 07-12-2008, 02:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

V12-Biturbo
Originally Posted by Murtaza
Only way I have of making sound clip is w/my cell phn, it has video capture for about 30 sec @ a time, but still not sure how to load it on here??

I'd be glad to meet-up bro! I travel to LA about once a month, I'll pm you my cell

I'll say this your SL55 would sound INSANE w/straight pipes, but deff leave the reso's/cats in place, you'd get far too much droan. I'm using my old C6 as a litmus here, it was ridiculous LOUD! but it had Kook's longtubes, 200 cell hi-flo cats, X-pipe and BB straight pipes. Droan was very bad in this vehicle.

After an hours drive in the C6 Corvette, I felt like was trapped inside an old oil drum w/a Monkey beating on the lid w/a stick..

Last edited by Thericker; 07-12-2008 at 03:46 PM.
Old 07-12-2008, 02:59 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'06 SL600
What, if anything, did you have to do to the bumper to fit the quad tips? I'd love to add some sound, but I think the wife would consider the sound (with the top down) unbearable. I'd love to get the quad tip look. (not preferred, but I'd even snag the new '09 faux quad tip look...)
Old 07-12-2008, 03:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

V12-Biturbo
Originally Posted by metalica_23
What, if anything, did you have to do to the bumper to fit the quad tips? I'd love to add some sound, but I think the wife would consider the sound (with the top down) unbearable. I'd love to get the quad tip look. (not preferred, but I'd even snag the new '09 faux quad tip look...)
Almost forgot, I have the AMG sport pkg, but as you've guessed the bumper openings are off by a good 2" luckily the Exhaust shop was located right nextdoor to a Bodyshop, we walked over & asked 1 of the emp if they wanted a quick side job? I was prepared to do it myself but the Muffler shop couldn't allow me to work/cutt on the premises.

So I offered the guy a $50 spot, he quickly went to work w/die grinder after tracing the SL55 tips I bought off Ebay onto the plastic diffuser area. EZ as pie, he did a pretty neat job too.

I'm going to smooth off some slight burrs (they were unavoidable) and re-paint the entire diffuser oem flat black.

As far as annoying the little lady, you'd have to drive aggressive like me, otherwise this set-up is very tolerable, I've been thru a lot trust me

Edit: I couldn't believe how much the SL55 tips changed the entire rear-end looks wise, just flat out aggressive!

Last edited by Thericker; 07-12-2008 at 03:40 PM.
Old 07-23-2008, 09:48 AM

2007 Väth SL65 AMG. 2007 BMW Alpina B5s. 2007 BMW M6.
Originally Posted by Murtaza
But I had that done to mine last summer... Haven't you seen that one..?

(It's the one that "R230 Nicke" in Stockholm has got today. If you've noticed him out here...)

Anyway, it sounds like this..:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ApBD5YvaHNI

BTW, I like the look of your newest catch. Better than silver, and a lot more thrust, right..?
And you know what they say, "Ones you go black, you'll never go back"...
Hah ha haa!
Old 07-23-2008, 01:14 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
SL 55 AMG
i have the same wheels as u but in chrome.... how wide is the rear wheel ??? mine goes abit inside the frame . or did u use spacers in the back .
Old 07-23-2008, 05:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C63S coupe, X5M
Originally Posted by maxabo
But I had that done to mine last summer... Haven't you seen that one..?

(It's the one that "R230 Nicke" in Stockholm has got today. If you've noticed him out here...)

Anyway, it sounds like this..:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ApBD5YvaHNI

BTW, I like the look of your newest catch. Better than silver, and a lot more thrust, right..?
And you know what they say, "Ones you go black, you'll never go back"...
Hah ha haa!
I've heard yours, sounds awesome. I'm an exhaust note junkie, I love hearing our cars and the more vids the better

Thanks, I love the new ride to