SL55 AMG, SL63 AMG, SL65 AMG (R230) 2002 - 2011 (2003 US for SL55 and 2004 for the SL65)

SL55/63/65/R230 AMG: Suspension drops after idling for 5+ minutes.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-30-2008, 04:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 SL55 AMG
Suspension drops after idling for 5+ minutes.

I have a 2003 SL55, without a manual, so please let me know if this is a "Feature" or not. With the suspension buttton set to the lowest level (no red lights), if the car is in Park and idling for 5+ minutes, the READ suspension will drop. The curious thing is that with both red lights out, the car should already be at the lowest level. Any ideas? The suspension lift buttons seem to operate properly. ABC is also on. I never turn it off.

Thanks in advance. I guess this could be some strange Bowing feature. Not sure if I want my car to Bow.

Ben
Old 07-30-2008, 09:20 PM

SL55
my 03' sl55 does the same thing , i tried to get some info on it but nothing solid as of yet. I would love to here the answer also.
Old 07-31-2008, 12:28 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
SL 55 AMG
ABC button makes it stiff ..... which means too make the suspension stiff it has to be lower then stock . try without the ABC SPORT button being ON . it should solve this problem
Old 08-01-2008, 10:49 PM

SL55
mine drops after about 5-10 minutes of idling no matter what setting i have the abc on.
Old 08-02-2008, 01:22 AM

SL 55 AMG
as long as its not rubbing on ur tires and everything looks balanced .... i wouldnt worry so much ... its worse when u have this problem only on one side and it makes the whole car look lopsided . u mite have a battery problem
Old 08-02-2008, 04:49 PM

07' E350, 71' DATSUN 510
Originally Posted by G_KATS
ABC button makes it stiff ..... which means too make the suspension stiff it has to be lower then stock . try without the ABC SPORT button being ON . it should solve this problem
Um... You're wrong.

The ABC sport setting has absoutely nothing to do with ride height. And battery voltage has nothing to do with ride height either.

The symptoms listed sounds like a common ABC problem in which small debris in the ABC fluid gets stuck between the valve and valve seats inside the valve block. This causes the valve block to leak internally allowing fluid to either enter the strut or exit the strut.

Fluid entering the strut causes the vehicle to raise slowly and when the system notices that the ride height is higher then the selected height it lowers the vehicle. Fluid exiting the strut causes the vehicle to lower slowly and when the system notices the ride height lower than the selected height it raises the vehicle.

The retroactive raising or lowering of the vehicle by the control module is usually the more noticed symptom as it happens quickly where as the slow leak causing the ride height change happens slowly. Although they both require the same actions for remedy.

If the cause of the problem is the debris causing the valves to leak internally, the repairs would be a flush of the ABC system or replacement of the faulty valve block/blocks. Keep your fingers crossed if you don't have a warranty still as I have rarely seen the flush remedy the issue.

There are also issues with sensors going bad, but more often than not I have seen the debris in the fluid being the culprit.

Hope this was helpful.
Old 08-02-2008, 11:00 PM

SL 55 AMG
Um .... you're wrong

why dont u ask a friend to drive beside you're car and leave the ABC button on ON , tell me if the car doesnt look lower. After park the car push the ABC button too off and shut the car off and turn it on again and do the same drill .... i can garunteed u with the button being on OFF the car while in motion wont look as low. I KNOW BECAUSE I OWN THIS CAR . Also it makes total sense that compressed air means stiffer ride . duh!!

common sense dude !
Old 08-02-2008, 11:26 PM

07' E350, 71' DATSUN 510
Um .... you're wrong

why dont u ask a friend to drive beside you're car and leave the ABC button on ON , tell me if the car doesnt look lower. After park the car push the ABC button too off and shut the car off and turn it on again and do the same drill .... i can garunteed u with the button being on OFF the car while in motion wont look as low. I KNOW BECAUSE I OWN THIS CAR . Also it makes total sense that compressed air means stiffer ride . duh!!

common sense dude !
Wow!! Really "compressed air"?

You should read up a little. Your car that you OWN has a hydraulic suspension system, as in hydraulic fluid, not air. The dampening (as in stiffening) is controlled by a valve in the strut that allows for more or less fluid to pass through internally in the strut. Dampening on the ABC system has nothing to do with ride height.

I know because I'm a MB master tech.

BTW the common sense you mention is not how Mercedes controls the dampening on their air suspension system either. The airmatic system controls the dampening through the shock, not the air spring. The air spring portion is for the ride height only. Again a valve in the shock controls the amount of fluid that passes through, controlling dampening.
Old 08-03-2008, 01:50 AM

SL 55 AMG
ok MASTER .....

then explain why i seen more then 3 SLz including mine lower even more when ABC button is switched ON while driving ?

i already knew they lower themselves around 120kph..... but we tested my car and other SLz and we notice that when ABC was switched ON, the car was SLAMMED.
Old 08-03-2008, 11:48 AM

07' E350, 71' DATSUN 510
I'm not going to argue with you.

I told you how the system works. I know what I'm talking about.

You're right the car does automaticly switch to the lowest setting at 70mph. But the only way to adjust the ride height without modifications is through the ride height switch with the 2 red lights. If it "looks" lower I don't know what to say to you about that except thats not how the system works.
Old 08-03-2008, 01:11 PM
Banned

2005 SL55, 2000 CL500
Um .... you're wrong

common sense dude !
OK G_KATS

Why dont you tell everyone here how long you have owned your 03SL55.
Just a few weeks is it ?

I think its fine you like to contribute here. But if you keep giving people WRONG information you are going to get flammed at every chance.

I have had ABC equipped Mercedes Benz cars for over 7 years of service.
5 Years on my CL and over 2 Years on my SL55.

The ABC system is hydraulic and is filled with a fluid that resembles a red brake fluid. The ABC Sport setting. "Light On". Does not effect the hight of the cars ride. And yes the ride hight will automatically lower the car at high speed. Even if you have the ride hight switch turned on. 1 or 2 red lights.

Now as for you putting 4 people in an SL ? Really cool. Sure hope your not driving like an idiot with 3 people not strapped in.

Seriously. We do have people here that are Mercedes Benz Mechanics and do this for a living and deal with 100`s of customers and their cars.

So please keep your rookie advice to yourself.
Old 08-04-2008, 12:47 AM

2007 SL55, 2004 E55 (SOLD), 2008 E63
This thread is starting to be real funny
Old 08-04-2008, 09:19 AM

2003 SL55 AMG
I enjoyed that, but back to my original question. If this happens on all of the cars (or at least all 03 Sl55s), what is the purpose of the back suspension lowering after the idle time? Why not the front suspension?
Old 08-04-2008, 01:28 PM
Banned

2005 SL55, 2000 CL500
The question really is.

Is this a trait of the 03 SL55 ?
Or is it the ABC system having issues ?

My 05 SL55 does nothing like your mentioning at idle.

Personally I would verify you have had the updated filter
installed in your ABC system first. Have the dealer look it up in the Vehicle
Service History. I dont think its "Normal ABC Behavior"
Old 08-04-2008, 10:12 PM

07' E350, 71' DATSUN 510
Originally Posted by sl55inDC
I enjoyed that, but back to my original question. If this happens on all of the cars (or at least all 03 Sl55s), what is the purpose of the back suspension lowering after the idle time? Why not the front suspension?
If only the rear of you car drops, you most likely need a rear ABC valve block. Like I mentioned before a flush might remedy the issue or even a faulty sensor, but more often than not I have seen the valve block being the culprit.
Old 08-05-2008, 01:32 AM

SL55
its strange because mine does the same thing only difference is the whole car lowers not just the rear. And i also wondered if that was normal. I guess ill get the same parts checked. Thanks.
Old 09-15-2012, 12:02 PM

2004 SL600
My 2004 SL600 is doing the same thing. What it does is slowly raise while idlling, which you do not realize, and then it will drop back to normal height. It scared my annual state inspection person when it did it during inspection. Mercedes says it is due to one of the acceleration sensors being bad. The system reads from the sensor when driving to lower the suspension as speed is increased. I am going to figure out and fix the problem.
Old 09-26-2012, 07:26 AM

SL63
your abc system needs repair.
be prepared for sticker shock.
Old 09-26-2012, 12:55 PM

SL65, 427 COBRA (CSX-3127)73 911S, 246GTS (DINO SPYDER), CORNICHE,1962 PORSCHE TWIN GRILLE ROADSTER+
OLDSCHOOLRICE I am in the LA area and may need a tech... Where are you Located?

Oldschoolrice...

I may need a tech for my SL65... Where are you located...

Jeff

execmalibu@earthlink.net
Old 09-27-2012, 08:46 PM

2013 SL 550 Diamond white
I have a 2004 SL 55 with 34,000 miles on it. I travel a lot ,and if I go out of town for week or so, when I return the car is slammed . As soon as I start the car, the dash reads car too low, o I raise the car with the button and all is fine till I go away again . I also have it plugged in to a battery tender. Any thoughts?
Thx
Old 07-31-2014, 04:52 PM

2004 S55 AMG
lowering of my S55

Originally Posted by bltserv
OK G_KATS

Why dont you tell everyone here how long you have owned your 03SL55.
Just a few weeks is it ?

I think its fine you like to contribute here. But if you keep giving people WRONG information you are going to get flammed at every chance.

I have had ABC equipped Mercedes Benz cars for over 7 years of service.
5 Years on my CL and over 2 Years on my SL55.

The ABC system is hydraulic and is filled with a fluid that resembles a red brake fluid. The ABC Sport setting. "Light On". Does not effect the hight of the cars ride. And yes the ride hight will automatically lower the car at high speed. Even if you have the ride hight switch turned on. 1 or 2 red lights.

Now as for you putting 4 people in an SL ? Really cool. Sure hope your not driving like an idiot with 3 people not strapped in.

Seriously. We do have people here that are Mercedes Benz Mechanics and do this for a living and deal with 100`s of customers and their cars.

So please keep your rookie advice to yourself.
Wow. Not sure why your acting like s little childish boy. Advise is advise. At least he was responding with maturity
Old 07-31-2014, 05:11 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
SL550 Designo Crystal & Red Interior - SL55 Silver & Black Interior - E550
Originally Posted by S55guy38
Wow. Not sure why your acting like s little childish boy. Advise is advise. At least he was responding with maturity
I think he's probably frustrated when people post inaccuracies and claim it to be fact. The other problem here is tone. Just because you disagree with a post, does not mean that you are correct.

If you already know the answer, don't post the question...
Old 07-31-2014, 05:14 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
SL550 Designo Crystal & Red Interior - SL55 Silver & Black Interior - E550
Originally Posted by thouliares
I have a 2004 SL 55 with 34,000 miles on it. I travel a lot ,and if I go out of town for week or so, when I return the car is slammed . As soon as I start the car, the dash reads car too low, o I raise the car with the button and all is fine till I go away again . I also have it plugged in to a battery tender. Any thoughts?
Thx
Mine does the same thing. I've just had the ABC serviced, flushed, passed the tests, completed the rodeo and it still does it. At this point, there appears to be nothing I can do except to drive the car. When I get a problem, I'll take it in and get it fixed.
Old 07-31-2014, 09:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 165 Likes on 103 Posts
2003 SL55,2020 GTC ,2017 GTS sold ,2002 G500 Sold,2003 SL500 Sold,
I have owned 2 SL s , both low mileage cars 25 k both had same ABC issues ,valves would leak and car would raise then lower when it got to upper limit,new valve blocks fixed this problem,1400 a piece ,the first set was a warranty ,second set I replaced ,to OP if system was never serviced in 11 yrs your prob looking at this scenario ,o rings go bad.do I know for a fact this is your issue no,just relaying my experience,rear block was a pita compared to front
Correction 2 2003 SLs,

Last edited by cnterline; 07-31-2014 at 09:30 PM.
Old 08-01-2014, 07:10 AM

SL55
Originally Posted by S55guy38
Holy necrobump batman............

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: SL55/63/65/R230 AMG: Suspension drops after idling for 5+ minutes.