SL55 AMG, SL63 AMG, SL65 AMG (R230) 2002 - 2011 (2003 US for SL55 and 2004 for the SL65)

SL55/63/65/R230 AMG: Service A/B Pricing Question for SL65

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-06-2008, 07:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'06 SL65
Service A/B Pricing Question for SL65

Just planning ahead as my SL65 doesn't need service anytime soon but calling a couple of dealers and found a wide range of pricing.

Service A: $260-$350

Service B: $330-$700

I don't mind paying higher amount if it is necessary but also don't want to be ripped off. What are you guys paying for service A and B? Also dealers advised the 5 year mark spark plugs are recommended changes and will cost thousands because of the labor in taking the top end of the engine apart to get to the plugs. Any truth to it? Just getting my ducks in a row so I know what to expect down the road.....Thanks!
Old 08-07-2008, 02:00 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Mercedes Benz
Originally Posted by LIONHEAD
Just planning ahead as my SL65 doesn't need service anytime soon but calling a couple of dealers and found a wide range of pricing.

Service A: $260-$350

Service B: $330-$700

I don't mind paying higher amount if it is necessary but also don't want to be ripped off. What are you guys paying for service A and B? Also dealers advised the 5 year mark spark plugs are recommended changes and will cost thousands because of the labor in taking the top end of the engine apart to get to the plugs. Any truth to it? Just getting my ducks in a row so I know what to expect down the road.....Thanks!
The price of these services will vary but here is the general story.

The A service is a straight oil change with some "checks" of your cars wear items and safety components. The V12 clearly uses more oil but you are paying for 1.5 hrs of labor or so plus the cost of parts.

The B service is an A service with some more checks and possibly a cabin air filter and a set of wiper blades. The B service normally falls around 24k miles or 2 years of life and that means you fall into the window for a brake fluid flush if you feel so inclined. Around that point I bet they will also tell you the brakes are getting a bit more worn but that depends on how you drive.

For reference my E350 DD just had a B service for $175 with the cabin filter and wiper blades. That deal is very cheap as most places will ask for over $400. My writer was very generous on not charging for very much time on the ticket and I did share some appreciation to the writer and tech. Just be ready for them to try and make a killing on a B service.

An associate of mine took a C230k in for a B service (car had 13k miles) and they said he needed $2000 in work at 13k miles. I went in and sat the service manager down for a pep talk and he admitted they took complete advantage of a novice customer and credited every back except the basic $200 B service charge. They wanted all new pads and rotors, a fuel system cleaning, new coolant, new brake fluid, a transmission flush and a tire balance. They claimed that all the listed services were required under the lease contract and that if not performed the cars warranty would be voided. Totally Crooked Business Practices -- complements of WI Simonson in Santa Monica.
Old 08-07-2008, 12:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Real Cars
LION:

I take my car to CPT for maintenance, much better pricing and the same if not better work than most dealerships.

http://www.gocpt.com

-m
Old 08-07-2008, 01:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'06 SL65
CynCarvin32....I remembered my W211, W210 or W220 to be nothing close to $700 for service B. I do understand a hi performance car will cost more but not sure if $700 was too high to pay for service B at the dealer. Thanks though.

Marcus...thanks for the reference! I had my W211 E500 lowered via star diagnosis at CPT awhile back and forgot all about them. I'll definately give them a call once service is up.
Old 08-07-2008, 04:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Mercedes Benz
Originally Posted by LIONHEAD
CynCarvin32....I remembered my W211, W210 or W220 to be nothing close to $700 for service B. I do understand a hi performance car will cost more but not sure if $700 was too high to pay for service B at the dealer. Thanks though.

Marcus...thanks for the reference! I had my W211 E500 lowered via star diagnosis at CPT awhile back and forgot all about them. I'll definately give them a call once service is up.
I never said anything about 700 for a service. I just paid 175 and your car takes 2-3 more quarts of oil. So at retail of 7 a quart thats an additional 21 dollars? I was saying what you get billed for and walking your through the service. The 65 engine has no special needs over a 600 when it comes to a B service.

Its an oil change with some useless inspections -- with an optional cabin air filter and a set of wiper blades.