SL55 AMG, SL63 AMG, SL65 AMG (R230) 2002 - 2011 (2003 US for SL55 and 2004 for the SL65)

SL55/63/65/R230 AMG: Noob with pre-purchase questions 07 SL 55

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-13-2008, 09:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Harley Fatboy, Dodge Ram 2500 quad cab 4x4, and soon an MB
Noob with pre-purchase questions 07 SL 55

Hello everyone, I am new here and new to MB in general, but I have always admired their beauty and performance. I am finally ready to purchase my first MB and I have always loved the SL models.

I am seriously contemplating buying a 2007 SL55 that is for sale at my local MB dealer. Crazy first SL I know!!!!!

It has just under 19K miles and it appears to be in excellent condition. It is black on red and is equipped the way I want. The dealer wants $84.5K and from my research, that seems like an OK deal, but I am still going to try for a better deal. It is certified to 2011 or 100k miles and I can buy more years if I want to. One thing that's troubling me just from a common sense standpoint is this: The dealer is replacing the brakes all around including the frt rotors, as well as the back tires, to the tune of almost $5K. Now my initial instinct would tell me this car was driven hard and to avoid it, but since I am unfamiliar with these cars, I just want to make sure that these services aren't to be expected at 18-19k miles and it's no big deal. The car was returned off-lease and it has a clear carfax, service records, and the MB service history only shows 1 recall being performed for the command unit, and one repair being done for the tire-pressure monitoring system.

I just really want to make sure I am buying the right car since I am dropping what is for me, a ton of dough. I would really appreciate any advice you can give me. I am in Boston and if you know an experienced MB tech in this area that I could hire to look it over for me before I buy it, that would be great too.

Thanks again.

Eddie
Old 08-13-2008, 10:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
'03 SL55
Hi, Eddie.

It's a great ride. Your going to love it!

I don't have any input on the price. Other folks might. Ditto for the mechanic in Boston.

Replacing tires at 19,000 miles isn't unusual or a cause for concern. These cars have short lived summer tires on them. I'm now on my third set at 40,000 miles.

Wearing through the brakes by 19,000 miles is a bit unusual but as long as they've been replaced, I don't see any issues. I'm still on the original brake pads and rotors with my car.

My only other advice is to think through how many years you want on the warranty. Lots of folks won't own an SL55 unless its under warranty. Personally I felt comfortable enough to not get an extended warranty after the CPO warranty expired on my 2003.

Best of luck to you!