SL55 AMG, SL63 AMG, SL65 AMG (R230) 2002 - 2011 (2003 US for SL55 and 2004 for the SL65)

SL55/63/65/R230 AMG: SL55 VRP........11.38 @ 123.86MPH (Non-NOS)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-17-2008 | 11:47 PM

SL55 AMG
Originally Posted by juicee63
Your car moves out man.. very clean launch. nexttime we do this we will deep stage you , get that trap speed up even more.

We are all very impressed with your car and your driving. Great job , and thanks for the seat help. I look forward to helping you tick down although you likely need to lose 200-300 lbs to get in the 10's here. Or add 75-100 hp and lose 75 lbs.

Replace your batteries or at leastthat huge one,

www.voltphreaks.com

Talk to Tony and tell him Juicee63 with the CLS 63 AMG sent you. The new generation batteries are as light as 3 lbs and have more safety and efficiency features. You can use this battery everyday go with the 900 or 1200
As always, thanks Josh for all your help and willing to share with me your knowledge. Thanks for helping me try to figure out what wheel/tire setup to go with. You are a true enthusiast and always willing to help a fellow member.
Old 12-17-2008 | 11:56 PM

SL55 AMG
Originally Posted by MB_Forever
Sal, thanks for that amazing run man . West Coast now holds the record for the quickest/fastest SL55 . You even ran slightly faster than the one that ran at MIR @ -2050 ft DA Your run was at about +400 ft. Your car definitely has more potential. This time around, we'll have a lot more traction and more extreme track prep.

Your car WILL go low 11s
Thanks Mo for making this track event happen and putting in the effort other like myself wont do. As far as more records to break, I definitely have my eye on the ball, we will see what happens. This track event coming up is definitely not one to miss with most of the "A" listers attending
Old 12-18-2008 | 12:15 AM

SL55 AMG
Originally Posted by jmf003
Well, I happen to be the guy who ran the 11.4 at MIR. I've already praised Sal publicly and privately for his setup and record setting run. I think he's done a great job and if my car never, ever posts a better 1/4 mile than his, I'm okay with that.

But if you want to compare his runs to mine:
  1. The DA on my best run was -1,267, not -2,050 (see http://www.dragtimes.com/Mercedes-Be...lip-13186.html). The DA was lower earlier in the day but the runs were slower because the track was cold.
  2. I ran street tires while Sal ran drag radials.
  3. I had a weekend's worth of luggage in my trunk--MIR is 500 miles from Ann Arbor and I drove back and forth--while Sal's trunk was empty plus he removed his passenger seat.
So while I'm very happy for Sal and don't begrudge him holding the record, I'm also pleased with how my car is running right now.

Sal, if you want to run head-to-head I'd be glad to meet you halfway in Amarillo with the loser buying steaks at the Big Texan. In the meanwhile, here's hoping you post some awesome times at Famoso in January!
John, you have been very supportive publicly & privately. I must say you didnt act like I thought you would have especially since you were holding the record for the SL55. I have much respect for you and your runs and wish you luck on future runs.

As far as steaks go, did someone say steaks? I love steaks & I love to run for the sport of it. I must tell you that Mo (MB_Forever) didnt mean it that way. Mo like some other fellow members are just excited that some of the "West Coast" members (myself, rarfinancial,etc) got to break some records for a change, unlike our "East Coast" members who most of the time hold the records Thats all. But sure, I'll be willing to meet up in the near future. Just not in the very near future since my SL will be going under the knife soon and there will be some down time.
Old 12-18-2008 | 09:20 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'03 SL55
Sal, MB_Forever's post was great. I just didn't want you thinking that 11.3/123 was fast enough to hang onto first place so I decided to show a few of my cards.

Seriously, though, I hope the car surgery goes well and you nail your runs in January!

Originally Posted by URnext
John, you have been very supportive publicly & privately. I must say you didnt act like I thought you would have especially since you were holding the record for the SL55. I have much respect for you and your runs and wish you luck on future runs.

As far as steaks go, did someone say steaks? I love steaks & I love to run for the sport of it. I must tell you that Mo (MB_Forever) didnt mean it that way. Mo like some other fellow members are just excited that some of the "West Coast" members (myself, rarfinancial,etc) got to break some records for a change, unlike our "East Coast" members who most of the time hold the records Thats all. But sure, I'll be willing to meet up in the near future. Just not in the very near future since my SL will be going under the knife soon and there will be some down time.
Old 12-18-2008 | 03:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E63 P30, CL500 Sport
Originally Posted by jmf003
Well, I happen to be the guy who ran the 11.4 at MIR. I've already praised Sal publicly and privately for his setup and record setting run. I think he's done a great job and if my car never, ever posts a better 1/4 mile than his, I'm okay with that.

But if you want to compare his runs to mine:
  1. The DA on my best run was -1,267, not -2,050 (see http://www.dragtimes.com/Mercedes-Be...lip-13186.html). The DA was lower earlier in the day but the runs were slower because the track was cold.
  2. I ran street tires while Sal ran drag radials.
  3. I had a weekend's worth of luggage in my trunk--MIR is 500 miles from Ann Arbor and I drove back and forth--while Sal's trunk was empty plus he removed his passenger seat.
So while I'm very happy for Sal and don't begrudge him holding the record, I'm also pleased with how my car is running right now.

Sal, if you want to run head-to-head I'd be glad to meet you halfway in Amarillo with the loser buying steaks at the Big Texan. In the meanwhile, here's hoping you post some awesome times at Famoso in January!
John, I'm very sorry if you misunderstood my post as negative in anyway towards you or your car. I did not mean to take anything away from your run. Your run was incredible The whole reason I even mentioned your run was because it was so impressive. And because it was so impressive, I actually tried to use that fact to show how great Sal's run really was since it came in slightly quicker than your run at MIR. Everybody knows that California tracks are no comparison to east coast tracks let alone MIR (considered to be one of the best and fastest tracks in the nation). As regards to DA, I was merely going by what many people have reported on the MIR thread. Some reported a DA of -2050 ft. I just looked up the DA right now on the smokem up website and it stated a DA of -1700 ft at the time of your run. So, I'm guessing the actual DA was somewhere in between these two figures, but even if you take the DA at MIR to be at -1300 ft and compare it to Sal's run in a DA of +750 ft, you get a difference of 2000 ft of DA That's a lot of power added to the car

So here is another comparison between the two runs:

* DA at Famoso was close to +700 ft. while DA at MIR was about -1300 ft. That is a 2000 ft difference in DA.

* Temp at the time of your run at MIR was 41 F while Temp at Famoso was at 50 F.

* Humidity at Famoso was close to 90%

* Traction at Famoso (in best case scenario) does NOT in any way even compare or come close to traction at MIR at it's best. Of course, we did not run at best case scenario for Famoso at all because it rained for 3 hours before we started. So the track was fairly slippery (although the staff did their best to quickly dry it), but it was just not at optimum conditions (for Famoso).

* Sal's car was definitely lighter than yours if you ran with luggage although I did see a few items in the area where Sal's passenger seat was. So his car can become a little lighter as well next time .

* Drag radials definitely helped, but also hurt a bit because of the rain before our runs. However, your 11.4 run on street tires is just pure I don't think anybody has come close to those times even with MIR's legendary track prep and extreme traction. It takes some serious driving skills to accomplish that...

In the end, you two drive the two quickest/fastest SLs in the country, and everyone (including me) appreciate the work you guys have done along with the participation and dedication that both of you have shown towards this awesome sport. I look forward to see more times out of you guy's cars, as you've definitely put the SL-Class on the map, and I (along with the rest of the world I'm sure) will be anxiously awaiting your next move, and we'll be watching in great anticipation, for I predict many great times to come and many new records to be set

Last edited by MB_Forever; 12-18-2008 at 09:55 PM.
Old 12-18-2008 | 03:55 PM

SL55 AMG
Nicely put Mo! Great info!
Old 12-18-2008 | 03:57 PM
Out Of Control!!

haters crazy
John is a VERY good driver. I've become way too accustomed to drag radials to be able to run on street tires. I dont think I could cut back to back 11.4x's at MIR that day on street tire. I'd be lucky to stay in the 11's lol Regardless, both SL's are badass and are impressive. I can't wait to see what they do. There are too many variables to compare the cars as of right now. Put them on a even playing field and see what happens