SL55 AMG, SL63 AMG, SL65 AMG (R230) 2002 - 2011 (2003 US for SL55 and 2004 for the SL65)

SL55/63/65/R230 AMG: HI TUNING QUESIONS SL55

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-08-2009, 11:49 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SL55 AMG
HI TUNING QUESIONS SL55

Hi i have an sl55 amg 2002 and need some questions answered

I am from the UK first off.

Tommorrow i am having a 600bhp conversion done by dms automotive, puts the boost up to 1.05bar,i assume mine at the mo is 476bhp as apparently it was mid 2003 amg changed ecu software for 496bhp...is it drastically faster with this power?What sorta performance figures can i expect?

Also its having a device that works with the suspension ecu to lower and stiffen it up when abc mode is on..is this a good mod as i am really doing it for the looks..lol.

Most important,does 600bhp affect reliability to engine/gearbox in your opinions?

Thanks.
Old 01-08-2009, 12:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
SL55AMG, Ferrari 348, Ferrari Testarossa, Ferrari F40, Ferrari Mondial t, Ducati 916, Indycar
Originally Posted by bosch man

Tommorrow i am having a 600bhp conversion done by dms automotive, puts the boost up to 1.05bar,i assume mine at the mo is 476bhp as apparently it was mid 2003 amg changed ecu software for 496bhp...is it drastically faster with this power?What sorta performance figures can i expect?

Also its having a device that works with the suspension ecu to lower and stiffen it up when abc mode is on..is this a good mod as i am really doing it for the looks..lol.

Most important,does 600bhp affect reliability to engine/gearbox in your opinions?

Thanks.
Hi and welcome. DMS is a solid company that does good work.

If you are getting a jump to 600hp, I assume that you are doing an ECU tune and a pulley. We have found that with all the extra tq, you could also benefit from a good TCU tune as well.

We have allot of ECU/ECU-pulley/TCU upgrades in the field and have not had any failures from a software or mechanical side. These drive trains are very durable and over engineered.

We lower our cars through the STAR diagnostic system. On the lower settings, the suspension will be a bit stiffer and as a result will corner flatter. Plus it looks great!
Old 01-08-2009, 05:34 PM

SL55 AMG

Thanks.

I also have a RHD 2002 sl55 and was contemplating the DMS upgrade, please let me know how you get on. I had also noticed that Paramount performance do a similar upgrade but don't know anyone who has used them.

I believe our cars were 500PS standard, Merc supply a supplement to the owners manual with revised power ratings.

Are DMS removing your limiter? My SL has a letter from AMG stating the VIN number and that the speed restricter has been removed at the factory although I have not had the opportunity to find out yet......
As regards the reliability of the engine and box I doubt it would be a problem as long as the map is good, specific output is relativley low, even when running more boost.
Old 01-09-2009, 12:41 PM

SL55 AMG
well.....what can i say except OH MY GOOD GOD...The car now handles properly and looks much better,plus goes like absolute stink (not that it didnt already!)....it really is a case of trying to tame a beast!

Totally de-limited too
Old 04-24-2010, 01:51 PM

Mercedes SL55 AMG
well.....what can i say except OH MY GOOD GOD...The car now handles properly and looks much better,plus goes like absolute stink (not that it didnt already!)....it really is a case of trying to tame a beast!

Totally de-limited too

Hi there, I hope you dont mind me asking you but any ideas what this cost as I'm toying with the idea of having it done myself? I have a 2002 SL55 and although its quick could do with a bit more grunt!
Old 04-24-2010, 02:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
'03 SL55
Hi, guys.

My modified SL55 probably makes around 625 to 650 bhp. Mods listed below.

With those mods it's way faster than stock. The difference is absolutely remarkable.

Numbers-wise, my best 1/4 mile runs have been 11.4 seconds at 121 MPH and 11.6 seconds at 126 MPH. (Different days, different tracks, different setups.)

Sal's modified SL55 (forum name = Urnext) is even faster: 10.89@127 MPH!

By comparison stock SL55s run in the 12s with trap speeds in the low to mid 110s.

If my car ran against a hypothetical 12.5@115 MPH SL55, my car would around 190 feet ahead at the finish line, which is between four and five bus lengths.

To the OP's other question, without a doubt increasing the horsepower reduces the Mean Time Between Failure (MTBF). By how much? Hard to say, but the Mercedes mechanical parts as so strong, I'm not that worried personally. My car has 58,000 miles and is still running strong.
Old 04-26-2010, 10:50 AM

SL55 AMG
I got a good trade price as i am in the tuning game, but retail i beleive around 3.5k